“Our Anniversary Get-Away”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Carey's Lakeside Cottages
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I really don't want to say good things about Carey's because it's my and my husband's weekend get-away place...but Carey's is absolutely the BEST place to stay in Bolton Landing - or even Lake George (which is about 15 miles south of Bolton). We live in northern NJ and just a 3 hour commute from Carey's, but it's an entirely different atmosphere up there. So peaceful, laid back, and totally inviting. Yes, it's family owned (a warm, generous, friendly family!), and it's been around for years, and it hasn't been remodeled, and they haven't 'sold out' to the huge corporate chains...and that's the best part about it. We make our reservations and let them know that we won't be in until after the office closes, so they leave the light on for us in our room and we just check in and settle up the next morning...no worries. If you need anything, they have it or will get it for you. As I told a friend, it's not a 5-star resort, but then again, it's Lake George...home of the campers! It's a charming rustic place, with comfy/cozy rooms - some with fireplaces and kitchenetts, there are propane grills for your use, a small play area for the kids, and a larger beach then some have mentioned. There are canoes and kayaks for your use, as well as beach lounge chairs...and there are plenty of chairs to go around. We bring a bunch of books, a portable radio, some wine and cheese and we are absolutely set for the weekend! The actual town of Bolton Landing is a short walk away, and there are many sights to see while visiting. But, don't go to Carey's if you're expecting plush furnishings and top name toiletries. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of cell phones, TVs, computers, traffic, nasty people, etc....then definitely go to Carey's.... You will absolutely NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NJscubaDiva

Reviewed 15 September 2008

This is not the type of place i would ever chose to stay at but was forced to due to a local wedding. It was surprisingly clean and a throw back to the fifties. With some updates it could be fabulous. A great dock-the photos do not do justice to it...for the low price it is well worth a try..

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank adriNorthport
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I just retuned from a three day stay at Carey's. We were invited to a wedding at the Sagamore and were looking for a more reasonable place to stay.. and we found it at Carey's.
I traveled with my own family, my parents and my sister's family. We had three cottages right next to each other. My parents had an effeciency which was perfect. They get up early so it was great that they could make a cup of coffee and then relax on the porch. My sister had a room which was more like a hotel room and we had a great room with a fire place .
Yes, some of the rooms have deer heads hung up on the wall. I don't mind this as I grew up in the country and am very used to this... If it bothers you ask for a room without.
We really enjoyed our stay and if it weren't for a yearly family trip to the Finger Lakes I think I would try to make it back this year. It's perfect for families.. close to the lake with a little beach front. You can also take out the canoes or rowboats free of charge..They also have life jackets for you to use. The beach isn't that big but it's plenty and the water is clean .
Carey's is also close to town, you can walk it easily.
The rooms are clean, the people who own it are great as are the people staying there. Everyone was so nice.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank ttravelerbug
Reviewed 16 April 2008

My husband and I had a getaway trip last year and found Carey's on the Web. We went during pre-season (late May) and just loved it. It was very chilly when we were there, so we were able to use the fireplace. It was cozy, inviting, clean and very nicely kept.

I agree with the reviewer who mentioned how nostalgic it all is...really takes you back in time. We were passing through, so we only stayed one night that trip, but we loved it so much we are going back to stay a bit longer this time. Do check this place out if you're in the area!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2007

With the weather super & the temp's in the 90's, what better way to start summer than a couple of days on Lake George. Carey's Lakeside is still like an old friend. The rooms were spotless, and the people who own the place are as nice as always. We come here for a enjoyable vacation, nice rooms & grounds. And the beach, ( not to big ) which always has friendly people enjoying the lake. If you want a fancy, high priced stay, go to the Sagamore( and we go there too ). But if you want to remember a simple, quiet ,old fastioned stay come to Carey's.

2  Thank Chief160
Reviewed 23 July 2006

I just got back from a weeklong vacation at Carey's with my wife and one year old son. We loved it.

Our room was done in a rustic style, with wooden beams and a big stone fireplace (which we would have tried out in another season). We had a small kitchenette, with a mini-fridge, stovetop, and sink. The bathroom was small but clean, with a stand-up shower.

The hotel spans a grassy slope leading down to the lake, where there is a sandy beach, a large dock, and plenty of lawnchairs under shady trees, perfect for reading, snoozing, or just staring out at the beautiful view.

Carey's has been run by the same family for 50 years (three generations work there now) and the service is friendly and attentive. Although not fancy, everything is meticulously upkept, clean and comfortable.

Some nice surprises: A swingset with baby swings for our son; a rec hall with vintage video games like Galaga; rowboats and canoes free for guests to use; outdoor gas grills for your barbecue.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank Snisson
Reviewed 27 June 2006

We only stayed one night in a motel room. The room was quite large, and very basic. It was very clean. No phone or air conditioning, but the weather was fine and we didn't need the latter. The bathroom was clean, but the skimpy, threadbare towels were a joke. The bath mat was paper!

Still, for the price we paid, about $85, you get what you pay for. A free cup of coffee would have been nice, but apparently, that is offered a bit later in the season.

The waterfront area was small but adequate. We took out a free canoe and paddled around a bit. The families staying in the cottages seemed to be having a nice time. The location on Lake George is absolutely breathtaking.

• Stayed: June 2006