Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“This B&B has it all!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My grandfather was George Reis and the original owner of this house. He was also a renowned speedboat racing champion in Lake George. As a Reis family member, I could not be more thrilled and proud of what Patti & Joe have done with this house. Everything is top notch. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable and Patti's cooking rivals anything you would find in larger 5 star hotels.

The setting is magical--the house actually sits in part of the lake and there is nothing more peaceful than sitting on the dock watching the boats go by.

But the best part is Joe's obvious love for the racing history of the house and this area. His enthusiasm is contagious and makes this place truly special.

The house is very well located to the Sagamore Inn and the town of Bolton Landing as well.

This bed and breakfast is not just a place to stay while you are in the area, it is a destination all it's own.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
1 Thank Lisa R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Clinton, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We spent two days at Lake George, NY a few weeks ago and loved our stay at the Boathouse Bed & Breakfast. Great location, you can walk to the restaurants and shops in Bolton Landing and you're right next to the Sagamore. We had perfect weather there and sitting on the porch, which is cantilevered over the lake, is just really an experience to remember. Joe and Patti were very hospitable and have great pride in the property. Our room, the Allayla, is the smallest room there, but was still comfortable. Take some kind of boat ride on the lake to appreciate the beauty of Lake George, it worth it. Our two days there were a treat for us and we'd like to get back there sometime in the future.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Howard d
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2013

If you want to go to Lake George and have the best views along with fabulous hospitality then Boathouse Bed & Breakfast is the place for you.

The owners Patti & Joe will make your stay so special. Upon arrival, they will give you a tour of the house along with the history.

As a world traveler, I have stayed at many great places and this one is at the top! I recommend the Boathouse Bed & Breakfast to anyone.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Book early so that you can ask Joe or Patti for a great room selection.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ronnie735
Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Lake George for many years and love the village of Bolton Landing. We've passed by the Boathouse dozens of times and wondered about staying there but for some reason we never looked into it. We stayed at the Sagamore on our first visits but found it over run with children and not comfortable for a lake vacation (we do visit for a drink or lunch every year). Then we've stayed at several motels in this area of the lake and they were all lacking in the creature comforts that we enjoy. Finally we've found the perfect home away from home at the Boathouse Bed & Breakfast!

Yes, Joe, Patty and Rene are charming, breakfast is yummy and even we unsocial types enjoyed talking with the other guests (there are two small tables you can chose to sit at if you prefer), the views are lovely and rooms charming and comfortable (we stayed in Mason's suite-fab huge log bed) and the location can't be beat. We parked our car and didn't use it for 3 days, we walked to the Sagamore for drinks and lunch and into Bolton Landing for shopping and dinner.

This is the perfect location for a romantic get away on gorgeous Lake George. We met a young couple that got engaged while they were there and another who visits Saratoga frequently to visit their son but had never made it to the Lake. All of us will be back! The older couple made a reservation for October before they even checked out! Most of the other couples that we met are repeat visitors. I can't figure out the negative reviewers and what their expectations were.

By the way, if you have a boat - BRING IT! For a small fee you can dock it right there. You must get out on the water when you visit! If not on your own boat then with Joe as everyone raves about his trips. We will be back next Spring!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
queens, new york city
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I made an instinctive reservation based on my desire to avoid the busyness of Lake George and reading all the over-the-top rapturous reviews emphasizing the water views and the warmth of the hosts. Also, my late husband and I were inveterate b and b people, and so this seemed like a beautiful, stand-out welcoming place to go on my own as a quick getaway. But instinct is not always enough.

There were several disappointments that stand out. Parking, right upon arrival, because as I entered their property with my car, was told the only space left was on the level above where I entered, which required a dangerous backing up into an unfamiliar road with a curve --- no guidance or assistance offered by staff member Renee or Joe the co-owner who stood around unhelpfully except to tell me I really should have gone to the upper level to begin with as the one spot was left just for me [but somehow I didn’t find my name on it!]. Then the remark by Renee when she found my sign-in paperwork, to the effect that this will be quick and easy because I am all by myself [haha!] --- but requiring once again my credit card and several additional signatures. When I asked why all this additional paperwork was needed, she said she just follows orders. Her introduction through the b and b was very rapid, and when I asked a question or two, she just said she has to get home soon so she apologized for her rapid patter. I also asked what the menus are for breakfasts, but she explained that Patti, the co-owner and cook, decides it and she often changes her mind at the last minute, so she can’t give me an answer. The room [Allayala] was much tinier than I ever expected [thank God I had no partner to share it!], but the worst was finding out that though there is a private bathroom, it is across a hall and needs a separate key --- this was not advertised when I reserved --- all of which was very inconvenient, as I had to make several trips back and forth to get through the night, and the hall was dark and the keys and lock hard to work. The hallway motion sensors are too dim, and basically light the floor; when I asked Joe about the regular hall ceiling lights, he said he disabled them because people left them on, but I really needed them to safely navigate an unfamiliar area!

The food was a great disappointment. Outside of the fixed breakfast [more below], there was a complete lack of any snacks/fruit laid out except coffee/tea with stale chex-mix. While all b and b's are different, this is the only luxury one which didn't offer daytime or nighttime snacks as an amenity. I am an early riser and the fixed 9 am breakfast was a problem, 3 courses or not, so when I saw a small table laid with cereal and fruit at 7.30 with no one present, I knocked at the kitchen door for Patti, who said that was only for a special request --- but, no one told me I could do any such a special request, and in fact I got the impression in no uncertain terms that even the menu was a secret. When I essentially had to beg Patti for something to have with my early coffee [and pills needing some solid food] at 7:30, Patti on that first day did relent and unsmilingly provide me with cereal and milk, but plopped down in an unfriendly manner, as if I was a big bother. She did not seem to care to remember or ask me if I needed the cereal for my second day there and I was not encouraged to remind her by her attitude, which was off-putting. And though there were 2 fresh cookies in the room upon arrival, this welcome was not repeated again, as I assumed they would be there on the second day, as I thought I could always fallback on them for my early coffee and pills, just in case.

The highly touted 3 breakfast "courses" --- with no choices or variety offered --- tended to be too sweet and sugary or salty [e.g., ham/sausage/puff pastry/granita] . Everyone had to sit at the same big table, everything highly controlled, as if the guest were a child who has to eat whatever is put before one in a pre-established order. Then, when everyone has been served, the real theatre begins, in which the cook announces what you are about to eat and how it is made.

Was there a best thing beside the view onto the lake from the porch? --- surprisingly, yes! The boat trip with Joe, who is great on the water. Overall, on land it was a little like being in a tiny "fascist" country, not just with the food police, but the many intrusive signs hanging on walls telling [not asking, or saying please] guests to stay out of the kitchen, keep the temperatures down in the room frig, close the door, windows and lights [even when some light switches no longer worked], etc. When I needed to get entree to the Sagamore’s pool area as I was checking out because I lost a ring there the day before that I needed to look for, Joe was like an enforcer, adamantly repeating that I absolutely hand in the key card right away; although the Sagamore’s front desk still let me in, Joe could have been a little bit more accommodating or at least pleasant rather than barking out orders as I left. Obviously, he really didn’t care because of the boatloads of guests that keep returning based on Boathouse hype and the reluctance of guests to provide realistic reviews that do not conform to expectations. Very few want to admit they may have made a poor choice when the bar and the cost is set so high.

Room Tip: Ask if the bathroom is "ensuite" . Check the room frig. at night before going to bed, as i...
8 Thank rosalie f
Boathouse10, Owner at Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
We are finding this review a bit perplexing because as you were leaving you thanked
us, said you had a great time and that you couldn't wait to return. We are sorry
your experience at the Boathouse was not what you had expected.

Let us go through this point by point. We have parking for seven cars as we have
seven rooms and they are filled on a first come first serve basis unless you have a
need to have a closer spot. There is street parking if you are comfortable with
that or if you do not want to park in our parking lot.

Renee has to be the kindest person one could ever encounter and she does most of the
check ins along with her many jobs. She tries hard to make you feel comfortable
while giving you a short but informed tour of things we feel you should know before
she gets you to your room so you can relax and enjoy this magnificent property and
our charming town. There is a check in procedure that does involve signatures on
your credit card receipt and our reservation agreement. We also swipe a credit card
to have on file. This procedure is done in every hotel, at least in every hotel we
have traveled in.

All of our rooms and suites have private baths. The Allayla Room bathroom is right
outside of your bedroom door(only two steps out.) There wasn't any mention of a
problem with the room or bathroom from you. You do have a key for your bathroom as
you do your bedroom should you choose to lock them. The room is standard size.
Please keep in mind the house was built in the early 1900's and was our summer home.
This historic home cannot be changed and we wouldn't want to do that. Boathouse
living is different but a fun experience. This room is also considered non lake
view and not advertised any differently. There is a motion sensor light in the hall
and we also have a battery operated lantern and flashlight in your room as well.

Now lets get to breakfast. One of the first things you are asked when you check in
is if you have any dietary needs, such as allergies, etc. that would be the time to
let us know that perhaps you take medicine at a certain time and need some toast or
something to take your medicine with. You did tell us you had a lactose issue and
you do take medicine for that. I can prepare for dietary issues a lot easier if i
know early on and that s why you are asked that early on. When you came in the
kitchen you didn't beg, you asked if you could eat the cereal that I had set out for
an early leaving guest. You were told that since they were leaving early and not
getting a hot breakfast it was set up for them. You asked for cereal and I asked
you if that is what you wanted instead of the hot breakfast I was preparing for you
and you said no but you were hungry now and that you still were going to have the
hot breakfast too. There wasn't any mention of a need to take pills with food at
that time either. In fact you came back in the kitchen and told me to forget
about the dietary issue all together. I was fully prepared to give you a lactose
free breakfast. did get the cereal out to you right away and it may have seemed
rushed but I was alone as I usually am and I was in the middle of preparing a
breakfast for you and the other guests. Requesting a breakfast before a breakfast
is a bit of an unusual request. Cookies and waters are put in the rooms as a
complimentary gesture upon the check in and are not replaced daily. We have a
complimentary beverage pantry(sodas, coffee and teas ) and we do have a snack mix
out at all times. Breakfast is three courses and chefs choice. I do tell you what I
am serving after we put the plates down as most people ask what the dish is and i
hope it is as delicious as it is nice in presentation. Renee was correct, she
doesn't know what I am preparing as it could change the morning of. There is a
sweet breakfast served one day followed by a savory breakfast. As I recall you
commented on how wonderful both breakfasts were and you had eaten both breakfasts,
all courses. We didn't want you to feel you had to make your coffee from the one
cup pot as we has fresh perked ready to go.

Lastly the pass to the Sagamore Hotel is a privilege that we pass on to our guests
for no charge. Once you check out the pass is returned to us. You had told us you
lost the ring a day before you were to check out with us and we told you that it
might have been in the hotels lost and found and that they would let you in with
out the pass if you wanted to look for it yourself. We are sorry that you lost
something so precious to you, but why would you wait a whole day to go back and look
for it?

Being a fascist is something I won't even dignify with a rebuttal. It is a cruel
and insulting comment.

We pride ourselves on how much we do care. We will do as much as we can to make you
feel comfortable, such as assisting you with planning a days activities or prepare
the dietary request that you may have. Our guests feel like family. We want you
to be relaxed and comfortable here. Perhaps you didn't feel comfortable traveling
alone or felt out of place.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

A romantic getaway with my husband of thirty-five years quickly morphed into a tranquil, yet unique and healthy, "solo respite", when both business and new transitions in his job became the necessary choice for this time and my first visit to The Boathouse. Work kept him at home this trip. Rather than call a girlfriend, I decided to take advantage of exploring "solo"!! Patti and Joe could not have been more gracious and welcoming when we first met! Breakfasts were carefully and individually prepared and were just wonderful! Fresh fruits, juices, delicious main courses, all so colorful to the eye and palette, and included fine company of other interesting travelers, along with plenty of java available whilst savoring the views from the beautiful 1900s upstairs porch......The Boathouse is rich with Lake history, and within its restored walls right along the lower level of the water, I was able cast first glimpses of a truly magnificent 33 foot Adirondack Mahogany Hacker!! Patti and Joe are rightly very proud of their wonderfully restored one hundred year old former summer home, which is now open to travelers from all over the world! I slipped into the easy life of the lovely little village of Bolton Landing, which for me, was just perfect.....and I gratefully took in every lake view I could, as I sat outside, wine in hand, admired the beautiful gardens that Patti so lovingly cared for, had delicious local coffee while reading the local newspaper daily, read about the history of Lake George, I meandered through some lovely galleries within walking distance from The Boathouse, and enjoyed walking through periphery of The Sagamore, so as to get an overview for my mind's eye...Joe's wonderful narrative during our boat ride on Miss Boathouse was a perfect part of a perfect day! I was SOOOO glad that I went along on the boatride, an hour and a half tour of the islands nearby, enjoying Joe's stories of days gone by on the Lake! All in all, I felt so welcome, and was made to feel right at home, each day! Books, videos, movies to enjoy in the quiet of the evening, all greeted me as I relaxed and pushed the "on" button to ignite a fire to stay cozy, as temps dipped late into the night, and let's not forget to mention the myriad of nightly stars from my little porch! Each one seemed to wink at me, reminding me of all there is in this Life to be grateful for! I awoke each morning in time to savor a new sunrise, what a gift for me to sit and watch Mother Nature paint the waters a delicate pink. Everything about this Boathouse is beautiful in every way, The Boathouse B and B is a jewel that took me back in time! I happily allowed myself to become a Time Traveler, and whoosh....off I soared, back to the Gilded Age....To another time and another era! We will return in a future time, which can't be soon enough for me! Thanks for a great first stay, Patti and Joe. And thank you for sharing your family summer home with this most appreciative and very happy traveler !!!

Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at the Boathouse in late august. The place, the hosts and the weather could not have been better. Don't miss the tour of Lake George with Joe in the Miss Boathouse. His knowledge of the history of the place along with his personal experience of having camped on the islands for 30 years in unmatched. You feel like you are guests of of the boat racer who built the place

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have the best views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 89 in Lake George
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#1 of 8 in Bolton Landing

Been to Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Property: Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George
Address: 44 Sagamore Rd, Bolton Landing, NY 12814-7734
Region: United States > New York > Bolton Landing
Ranked #1 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Bolton Landing
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££££
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George 3.5*
This "Lake Castle Estate" is the only B&B in the waters of Lake George. Featured in many books and magazines with its outstanding views of the lake & mountains. Historical site, former home of the Gold Cup Winner George Reis. This boathouse has seven rooms all with private baths, some with fireplaces and two person whirlpools. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Boathouse Hotel Bolton Landing
Boathouse Bed And Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate On Lake George Bolton Landing, NY