“Another great Labor Day Weekend at Chelka Lodge”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bolton Landing
Chelka Lodge on Lake George
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
St. Augustine, Florida
“Another great Labor Day Weekend at Chelka Lodge”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had another great Labor Day Weekend at Chelka Lodge. The weather, Lodge, breakfast, etc. were still the best. The new deck was beautiful. We will be back next year. Dave and Judy were very gracious hosts as usual.

Room Tip: The second floor newly remodeled King Bed rooms are the best. I hear the three rooms in the new dec...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Kind of an average quaint place, pretty good facility, not top of the line but not too bad actually. Nice location, fairly nice view. Could use some overhaul and a bit more upkeep and maintenance. Overall, an average place to stay in the region for a not so terrible price range.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon S
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have worked for the WDW Swan and Dolphin for 23 years as the Catering Sales Manager, so I am very critical to say the least when I stay at other properties or establishments. I found the Chelka Lodge on the internet and called that very day to book my reservation. I spoke with Dave the owner of Chelka, who was very pleasant and accomodating. He assured me that I would love the place and that it would be the perfect place to relax and unwind. I took my Mom and Dad on vacation with me to stay there, and they have not stopped talking about the place since we left!!! It was exactly what we were looking for, a peaceful setting with an incredible view. My goal is to return someday with my sister and brother in law. I showed them all the pics, and they absolutely loved them!!! We all agreed the doggies were our favorite (dog lovers here!!) They were a joy to interact with and we all loved their enthusiasm especially when they hit the water! The entire experiece was wonderful. Judy (Dave's wife) was also very pleasant and accomodating. We loved the extra pillows!!! Thanks to everyone at Chelka for making it such a memorable and special time for everyone!!! WE HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!!! Mike P

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2012

First the bad news, but be sure to read the good news below. We stayed here Aug 2012. This property could easily be rated very good with a few simple inexpensive improvements. There is no coffee available on the property until 8 AM. The addition of a coffee maker in each room would be welcomed. Be sure to bring a hair dryer, since none are provided. There is no way to heat water for tea or reheat leftovers in the room as there is no small microwave available. There is a central microwave available at a distance from the motel units near the office. It would seem that a small investment in small appliances in each room would bring the motel up to normal standards.

The rooms and exterior are in need of a facelift. The wallpaper in our room was curling and almost all of the doors and woodwork need a coat of paint as they are quite dirty and scuffed . The siding is badly in need of a power wash.

Also, being and older motel be ready to hear you neighbors as soundproofing is minimal.

Now the good. A beautiful location right on the lake with an expansive lawn covered with lounge chairs for relaxing. There is a beach which allows swimming in the lake. There are different types of watercraft available and there are free for guest use. A highlight is the complimentry continental breakfast available each morning. Warm muffins, breads, cereals and fruit are provided along with coffee and tea in a wonderful family setting dining area. The room rates are very reasonable for this type of location.

So in summary, with a few inexpensive improvements and renovation, we would rate this property very good, if you are willing to accept the lack of soundproofing.

Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here aug 2012. nice views from hotel, clean nice grounds, a lake to swim in, free kayaks to use and a free breakfast every morning.cereal, stawberrys, fresh baked muffins, oj and tea or coffee. very friendly owners to help with you with getting around lake george. the rooms are older but nice and clean. i would recommend staying on the second floor for better views. theres 2 dogs that are friendly and walk all around the place. i would go back.

Room Tip: i would ask for the second floor for better views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Millerton, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Chelka Lodge is in beautiful spot on Lake George at Bolton Landing. The entire property is impeccably maintained. Nice lounge chairs on the lawn facing the lake, lovely swimming beach and dock plus kayaks and canoes for the guests free use. Our room was classic motel type; not over-the-top fancy by any means but super clean with a phenomenal view of the lake. Nice breakfast each morning in the lodge. Friendly, accommodating staff and owners and best of all, two lovely Labrador Retrievers. We look forward to another visit!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at Chelka for a week. Two adults and two young children. I was very nervous reading some of the reviews regarding the dogs (I am not a dog person) and the issue of digging in the sand. Upon check in, Dave informed us of the 'no digging at the shoreline rule'. A part of me was very stressed by this all week! My kids are only 1 and 3, so I was telling them all day long not to dig by the water. Luckily, they were really good about it. One day, Dave and Judy were enjoying the lake and sitting out, and an older child was digging by the shoreline. And I was a bit surprised that they said nothing! The lake is perfect for young children. It very slowly deepens. The kids were able to walk around and play very easily without me worrying. The property is well maintained. Dave was constantly busy. Mowing the lawn, dealing with garbage, cleaning up dog poo (which unfortunately only seemed to happen once a day, I do wish it was a more immediate response). Judy was very friendly and helpful about things for the kids to do. The property itself had lots to do (for older kids and adults).

The property has a perfect layout. All of the hotel units are facing the water and have a great view. I also liked that the second floor had both stairs, and a ramp. Our room (a king unit) was fine. Sure the bedding and such might be a bit dated, but the bed was comfortable, and the AC unit was powerful and kept our room nice and cool. The small fridge was helpful with young kids, we could store milk, and a few other drinks to enjoy throughout the day (they do have a soda vending machine, $2 a drink). The breakfast, while basic, was lovely. Both my husband and I had slight colds during the week, and the young staff working the breakfast room was very accommodating with to go cups so I could bring some hot tea to my husband. The pastries varied each day but all were pretty good. And the cereal was perfect for the kids. They also had fresh fruit each day. And again, the staff working the breakfast room was friendly and provided great service.

The dogs. Were they friendly? Yes. Were they annoying? Sometimes. Again, I am not a dog person. A part of me felt 'safe' being in the woods with dogs to 'protect' me. (but I am not their owner, would they protect me?!). But, at times it was annoying if you were trying to eat a snack while at the beach, or trying to play ball with the kids, and they would grab your food or your ball. And the poop was a bit annoying. Especially with a toddler who doesn't know to walk around it. I do wish it was a more immediate pick up. But overall they weren't as annoying as I was anticipating.

The location was perfect. I liked being a bit off the beaten path and not on the main drag of Lake George Village, but yet a quick car ride away. Again, the layout of Chelka is really great. Not knowing what the place used to look like, I think they made great choices in their renovations. The main lodge deck had beautiful glass panels that allowed for a beautiful sight line to the lake. And several high end finishes can be found in the main lodge and deck area. Hopefully the motel units are next on the list? ;)

All in all we had a great time. The kids loved the beach and the ease of going in and out of the lake on their own. (and I liked that I could sit and relax and watch them play without worrying!). We hope to go back one day!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Blue Lagoon Resort
Blue Lagoon Resort
#1 of 5 in Diamond Point
Golden Sands Resort on Lake George

Been to Chelka Lodge on Lake George? Share your experiences!