“Docked for lunch”
Review of Tavern on the Lake

Tavern on the Lake
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Kids, View, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Whether you are vacationing at the Blue Water Manor resort or exploring the Lake George region by land or boat, Tavern on the Lake is the place for dining on the lake. Come and enjoy the casual dining atmosphere or get a drink at our bar while being surrounded by exceptional views of Lake George and the Adirondack Mountains. Tavern on the Lake is now offering breakfast in addition to lunch and dinner and our new menu is filled with great appetizers and delicious entrees!
Ringwood, New Jersey
“Docked for lunch”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Recommended by a fellow boater we docked at the tavern with the help of a young man waiting for us at the dock. My husband, and two young boys climbed the old stone stairs and were quickly seated. Great menu options from salads to entrees. The waitress was great with our boys and the food was delicious! Thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We will be back.

Berkley Heights
“Amazing food, spectacular views but ehhh service.”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My family of 6 and I are on our annual Lake George vacation. This year I have decided to try and document out dining experiences....let's see how that goes.
We decided to try the new TOTL after dining here many years back. (Horrible experience and inedible food). Upon entering we were blown away by the views and renovations. You definitely have polished this gem off. We were greeted my a very nice hostess. She quickly got us to our table and stayed a minute to chat.
Aside from the amazing food, things went a little down hill. Our server I believe was Hana? After waiting quite a while for her to even approach our table, it became evident she was either too busy, or having a bad day. She seemed to have limited knowledge of bar drinks and got a bit of an attitude when we tried to order our cocktails. Yes, we are picky and like our drinks a certain way, but they were not too difficult. We felt like we were holding her up or annoying her - neither being acceptable in my book. When our cocktails finally arrived a good 15 minutes later we were asked to order. We inquired about specials which were quickly read off. We had questions about ingredients etc., and this poor girl didn't have a clue.
I am happy to report that when our entrees arrived we were very happy. Two of us ordered Sea Bass - which was one of the too ten dishes I have ever ordered. Another family member had the Duck which they are still raving about. Everything was cooked perfectly.
In short, we will be back to have more delicious meals enjoyed with cocktails and a phenomenal view, but we will ask for a different server without the incompetence or attitude.

Niskayuna, New York
“Above average for the area”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a nice dinner on the water at the Tavern. I will say that we enjoyed our experience primarily because this restaurant stands out from other restaurants in the area -- if we had the same food elsewhere it wouldn't have been quite so memorable. Typically, you go to the restaurants overlooking the lake (both in Bolton and Lake George Village) for the views, not the food. In the Tavern's case, though, the food was, actually, a step above. It was well-prepared and nicely presented, and tasted good. The menu is on the smaller side but they offer some nice options that are different from the usual fare at other local establishments (read: fried-whatever and/or terrible attempts at Italian).

I also had the honor of breaking in the bar's brand new frozen cocktail machine, so I was apologized to in advance in case it turned out badly and was told it would be on the house, regardless. Let's just say that they have a lot more practicing to do, but I was a more than willing (and happy) participant in their experiment! Kudos for that approach, Tavern.

We had never been here, so I can't compare it to how the place was with the previous owners. However, when driving in, you could definitely tell they were doing some SERIOUS renovations and the places that were finished looked great. The restaurant was nicely done and you don't really get much more lake-front than that. We overheard lots of people remarking about how much the place had improved, so I can assume the new owners are doing a lot of good things.

One tip: there are 2 areas for lake-front dining -- one right next to the bar and one a few steps down. If you can choose, I'd choose the space a few steps down because when the bar got crowded we were sitting with peoples' butts in our faces, basically. Otherwise (when the bar is not crowded) it was fine. Tables just too close to bar (it's a tiny space so I can't fault them for that) -- so it's really a personal preference.

Ellicottville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Even the dressings!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just returned from a trip to Bolton Landing, NY where my family and I stopped in to the beautifully renovated Tavern on the Lake at the Blue Water Manor Resort. The view from the outside deck overlooking the lake is nothing short of spectacular! There was live entertainment and we had a ball! We had stopped in for appetizers and spirits but we knew we had to return again for diner. Several nights later we docked the boat where we found a friendly dock boy who assisted us. We climbed the stairs up to the restaurant and were met again with a friendly manager who gave us the best seat in the house. Our appetizer of the night was the baked brie! By far, the best thing I ever tasted! I dined on the chicken dinner with cornbread stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes, and broccoli. The new owner stopped by our table to check on us and informed my family that everything is homemade...EVEN the salad dressings! Once again, we knew we had to return for breakfast! So the next morning we returned for a fabulous breakfast. We couldn't stay away! We were seated on the deck overlooking beautiful Basin Bay. The new owner told us he has plans to continue remodeling the existing buildings and plans to build a hotel on property. In the mean time, if you are in the area, you must stop in for a drink and a little baked brie, dinner or breakfast! We cannot wait to return!

1 Thank Kris G
Lancaster, PA, & Lake George NY
“Excellent Meal- Tracy (waitstaff) is a gem!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

As "Lake People" or "Summer Residents" with a seasonal home on Lake George, we've eaten at just about every area restaurant you can name. Some made us ill and we'd like to forget them, some have great views but crappy food, some are ridiculously expensive for their offerings and some are still trying to ride (and in my opinion, failing) the coat tails of what they "used" to be, a TV spot or simply name recognition. We have our handful of favorites but there is usually a new place or two that pops up every season and we take bets about how long they will stay around.

My clan hopes Tavern on the Lake enjoys a long life and develops a loyal following. The view and atmosphere and view is amazing and the food is great. 3 adult dinners Fish and Chips, Cajun Chicken Alfredo and Ribs - All fairly standard dishes, but easy to destroy and earn low grades - not here. All 3 were thoroughly enjoyed and plates cleaned. 2 kids meals - grilled cheese and chicken fingers. Again, pretty standard fare for kids but mine are picky buggers and the grilled cheese got rave reviews from both kids - my Son said to my Daughter, "You've gotta try this" and actually shared a part of his grilled cheese- and he never shares, anything. The chicken fingers were not so loved by my Daughter, too much pepper in the coating on the chicken fingers she said...I had to agree. All 5 of us loved the texture and crispiness of their french fries but again, both kids and I could have done without the black pepper sprinkled on them...but to each his own, the 2 adult guys liked them just as they were. Portion sizes were spot on. We skipped dessert to save time and beat a thunderstorm but there were several items offered that caught our attention and sounded fantastic.

We would have rather gone by boat but opted for car as one in our party had tried to eat there before but there wasn't enough dock space to accommodate the needs of patrons and after floating/waiting for a spot for 1/2 hour, he decided to go elsewhere.

So the view was great - check. The food was great - check. Prices typical for fare - check. More dock space in future likely will be needed - check.

The service? Check+! Tracy, our waitress, was fantastic. Witty and engaging with the adults, warm and interested with my kids. Almost like a long-time friend was your server...but we had just met at the beginning of the meal - yes, she's THAT good. Sometimes you may feel folks like that are fake, merely charming all during the meal for tip's sake. But meeting Tracy in town (well after our dinner) speaking with her further, remembering all of our names and asking my children more about the sports and activities they had told her they were involved in? Well, that's rare...and deserving of positive public recognition.

Give this new restaurant a try and ask to be seated in Tracy's area...it will be well worth your while. Enjoy!

PS You won't believe the size of the fireplace in the indoor dining/bar area - it is a selfie photo worthy and a "you've gotta see this" spot all by itself.

2 Thank sevenangels