“Great stay”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed at the Sagamore last month for a business meeting. Top notch. A great hotel and venue. Restaurant was great. I had a lunch and breakfast in the restaurant, both great. the conference food was also good. Bolton Landing is a great little town. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Baseball39
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Baseball39,

I was pleased to see that your business meeting was at The Sagamore! Also thank you for recognizing the services of the Food and Beverage team as I know they will be pleased to read your comments. In addition, I am always pleased when guests comment about the town of Bolton Landing. I agree it is a great little town and has so much to offer.

Thank you again and we hope your travels bring you back to us again.

There are newer reviews for The Sagamore Resort

Reviewed 2 July 2014

After 3 days of Manhattan madness, a night here was just what we needed to recharge our batteries. It's idyllic with large comfortable rooms & breathtaking views. We dined in the Club Grill, a 5 minute drive away in a regular free shuttle bus, much appreciated. The food was lovely, the waiting staff friendly & efficient. Breakfast overlooking the lake topped it off. Wish we could have stayed longer

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lesley T

Dear Lesley T,

Thank you for recognizing The Sagamore as that perfect remedy for a hectic few days in Manhattan. We were please that we were able to assist in recharging your batteries too! Thank you for recognizing the staff at the Grill. I know they will be pleased.

Don't forget us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Sagamore. First, it's a beautiful property, ideally located on gorgeous Lake George. It was also really helpful to be able to make dinner and spa reservations online before we arrived. The building and the grounds are historic, impressive, and well-maintained, and in a location that's easily accessible to Lake George Villiage, but without being in the middle of all the tourist traffic.
Where the Sagamore fell down was really around food, service, and some key decisions made by management of the hotel. We had all of our dinners and some breakfasts & lunches at various restaurants within the Sagamore. We paid a-la-carte vs. purchasing a meal plan because we wanted to maintain our flexibility during our stay. Our first night there, we ate at Bella Vita, which proposes to be their most "formal" restaurant. There was a "smart casual" dress code after 5:30pm stated numerous times on the web site and in the information provided at the hotel -- But, even at their fanciest restaurant, the dress code seemed to be utterly ignored by both the patrons and the staff. My husband wore dress pants and a dress shirt to dinner. I wore a dress with dressy sandals -- totally typical of a weekend/lake dinner out at a nice place. But, we sat surrounded by people in gym shorts, baseball caps, T-shirts, ratty jeans and flip flops. People brought their kids (and plenty of them) in bathing suits covered by oversized T-shirts and the whole dining experience felt more like a dinner at the rest stop on the Garden State Parkway than a night out at a nice Italian restaurant. The service at Bella Vita bordered on ridiculously bad. We ordered 3 courses (appetizers, salad, entree). and the waiter asked in advance if we wanted the appetizers brought out first (although, in a three course meal, I don't get why that's a question at all...). "Of course," we said "Appetizers first, then salad course, then the main course." Yet -- a half hour later, the waiter arrived with the salad course, saying the kitchen made it, so can we just take it? We sent the salads back to the kitchen and said we'd like the apps. first. Another 30 minutes later (a very long 30 minutes) the so-so appetizers arrived. The salads came back out another half hour later -- and it was clear that they were the same salads that had come out before, but had been sitting in some walk-in for an hour. The main courses were average at best. On another night, we had dinner at the Pavilion -- the outdoor restaurant right by the lake. Again, the setting was wonderful, but it appeared our waitress had perhaps never waited tables before. She didn't know how to open a bottle of wine, the white wine was warm and we asked to have it put on ice for awhile before serving, and she brought us a glass of ice with a spoon! When our main course appeared, they had delivered to my husband an appetizer that he didn't order -- instead of the entree he DID order. When he mentioned the mistake, the server insisted that this is what he ordered. 10 minutes later, when our waitress hopped by, she recognized that the mussle appetizer was not the seafood crock pot he had ordered and made the switch -- but not until I was almost completely finished with my repulsive plate of cold, dry chicken fingers being passed off as "chickpea flour-dusted free bird chicken breast." You must be joking. No one refilled our water glasses the entire night, etc. etc. bad service blah blah blah. I get the fact that restaurants have to break in new waiters -- but the management should not have had an inexperienced waitress going solo until she had mastered the bare basics. The one redeeming dining experience was the dinner at the Sagamore Club Grill -- although no one told us this restaurant is acutally off-property, accessible by a shuttle bus that runs on the half-hour. Frankly, if I had wanted to go off property, I would have researched other independent restaurants in the area and gone on my own. That said, the service there was actually quite good and knowledgeable. The patrons actually adhered to the dress code, and the food was delicious. I would give the whole dining experience a generous C- . I can overlook bad food, bad service, and sloppy patrons surrounding me if it's a bargain, or really convenient. But, After 3 dinners, 1 breakfast, and 1 lunch -- my bill at the end of the weekend was $1,000. For that kind of money -- they need to do WAYYYYY better on all fronts.

I think the biggest no-no was Management's decision to run a wedding-factory on the first floor of the hotel while trying to pass the resort off as a "getaway destination". Every cocktail hour, every dinner, and every evening strolling the grounds was accompanied by a very loud "THUMP THUMP THUMP" of the very VERY loud wedding music coming from the second-rate DJ's playing crap wedding music like Money Money, Shout!, YMCA, etc. -- Friday night, Saturday Night, Sunday Night. Really guys? That's your audio backdrop for a peaceful lake weekend? If they want to run a wedding factory, they should invest in a separate building away from all the outdoor dining facilities and sound proof it. I found the whole thing appauling -- and probably wouldn't dine there again (anywhere) when there's a wedding in progress. The valet who helped me with our bags on the way out said there were weddings scheduled every night of every weekend in the Summer. So much for tranquility.

Probably better for families who have lost all their sensitivity to screaming children, loud music, and chicken nuggets for dinner. As for me -- I will hope and pray they turn over the management (all of it) to someone who really knows how to run a beautiful property like that. The current management seems to be confused about what they're trying to be -- and not being any of it very well.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view - but not on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JPinCT
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear JPinCT,

I appreciate your review and thank you for highlighting areas where we need to improve upon. I was pleased that you felt the building and grounds were impressive and historic. With a property the size of The Sagamore it can be challenging to say the least. In addition, thank you for recognizing the staff at the Grill. I know they will be pleased.

I would have wished that all of your dining experiences were great, however I was pleased that you provided detail which will help us to improve. I was sorry to read that you felt we are a wedding factory. We do have many weddings throughout the year and we try very hard to ensure that the event is successful without being intrusive to other guests. I am sorry that you felt otherwise.

In closing, thank you for staying with us and again for your review.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend get-a-way, and we had a lovely time. This resort is a wonderful oasis located on one of the best spots on the lake. We were impressed by the well maintained grounds, friendly staff, and spectacular all around views. Pictures do not do it justice. We took full advantage of all amenities, but the Morgan was our favorite.

Each night after dinner we would relax on the large deck while taking in the amazing view. A must do, to truly experience this special place.

There is only two things I would recommend improving. The first are the wedding reception parties. The loud base each night from the tent did annoy some of the guests. The second is the lodges. We couldn't get into the main building for our dates, so we stayed in the lodge. For the room price (not overlooking the lake) it was a bit high, considering the tired decor and finishings. They are in need of an update.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Scott W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. I was pleased to read that you were impressed by the well maintained grounds, friendly staff and spectacular all around views. I appreciate you pointing out the areas where we need to focus our attention on as well.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stay in the lower level lodge rooms farthest from the hotel for the best price. They renovated the lodge rooms closest to the main hotel/resort and we hope to see our favorite/best price rooms done as well soon! We had the same room last year and while nice it is in need of renovation. The staff, from my delish eggs Benedict room service breakfast to the pool waitress is outstanding. We did meet a new waitress while dining at the Lakehouse in need of some assistance. We observed one person, possibly a manager talking at multiple times during service to other staff, while our need for a cocktail refill was beyond normal. All of the service was terribly slow around us as well. That was the only service issue with many staff interactions over our short stay. The lights by the outside dining of the Lakehouse are also full of spiders and webs which is unappetizing. Overall this resort is well on its way to being four star in my view and the best part of our stay was the singer/guitarist in the Pub! The food and selection is very high quality. Some of the seafood is very high quality frozen food but the scallops were the best And freshest that I have ever enjoyed, and my husband is a former local meat and seafood salesman, so I am a food snob! The pools are noisy with children that are obnoxious, so grab a lounge chair down by the lake!

Room Tip: Best price for a couple lower level lodge.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rosesuth 1960,

Thank you for the detailed review from your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and please know we appreciate you pointing out the areas where we need to improve.

Our singer/gutarist Vinnie in Mr. Browns Pub will be pleased to see your comment as well. Thak you for staying with us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Sagamore Resort on Lake George has a very laid back and relaxing atmosphere. The restaurants have a pleasant staff and the service is excellent. As for the resort itself there is a lot to do and plenty to see. There are 3 pools and the lake of course, fishing, boating, sightseeing and the town here is very quant and a lot a great little shop. If your looking for a vacation spot to just relax and to do nothing this is the place. The view is unbelievable and the lake is clean and beautiful. A must see

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gloria G

Dear Gloria G,

Your recent review was appreciated and we thank you. I was pleased to read that you found just what you were looking for! We have an Adirondack chair waiting for your next visit!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, which fantastic views from every angle. Although recent reviews indicate service was spotty, we didn't find that at all. Everyone with whom we came in contact was friendly, courteous and very professional. We ate in three of the restaurants and the food was excellent and the service very good.

Room Tip: We traveled with our two teenage daughters since were were on our way home from a hockey tournament...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank melanie m

Dear melanie m,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you recognized the staff for being friendly, courteous, and very professional. Many of our seasonal staff arrive in mid May and early June and our main focus is getting them on board and ready to meet every guest expectation.

Best of luck with the hockey and we hope to welcome you back to The Sagamore soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Tea Island Resort
#6 of 89 in Lake George
Courtyard by Marriott Lake George
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!