“Beautiful and pricy”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Albany, NY
“Beautiful and pricy”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Went for a work function. Gorgeous space, attention to detail. Very pricy.

Asked if I needed any concierge services, I asked for running routes, and they printed on up a brochure for me. When I missed dessert due to a conference call, an amazing waitress rounded up some for me. And when my room wasn't ready when I tried to check in early, we did all the paperwork, and they called me when ready. I was able to breeze by and grab my keys.

Thin walls, could hear my neighbors conversations through bathroom wall.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Leaudemiel,

Thank you for staying with us while on business. I was pleased to read that the concierge and waitstaff worked hard on your behalf. Your review was appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore for business or pleasure!

Tom Guay, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Sagamore Resort is gorgeous and we have been coming here for the last 5 years during July 4 weekend. Management has changed since we first started to come here. The pools are nice - love the eternity like pool. The lake is wonderful to swim in - although it can get a bit wavy and the water is cold. The restaurants are very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
DearHolidayFun2012,

Thank you for choosing us for the last five years and for the heading "Great Family Resort". We believe that we are just that and appreciate the affirmation.

July fourth in 2015 falls on a saturday so we will have the pool chair waiting just for you!

Jamesport, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Spent a week at Sagamore - before during and after July 4. Would recommend before July 4 as optimal fun time. Quiet relaxed. Staff seems happiest before the holiday. As holiday progressed, food got worse.

There are signs posted in pool area that the area is not supervised. No lifeguard. I can tell you, this limits their liability if you or a loved one either drowns, almost drowns, or is caught up in melee because of a drowning.

So be on guard parents! Watch your children like hawks. I saw a sixish year old girl fall in lake off of main dock while her parents ignored her and drank at outside bar. Not good for Mom and Dad as signs are posted that urge you to supervise your children. That is considered notice under the law, and limits the hotel's liability! So if you are thinking that because they don't have lifeguards, they would be on the hook even more in the event of drowning, think again! The staff has been directed to state that when near drownings and the melees they create, occur - if the staff has not witnessed it, sorry paying customer, you are out of luck. You are on your own. But of course, the most CONVENIENT part of this line, is that they don't have staff in place to monitor the water and its environs, just for that purpose! Catch-22.

I was injured by child's dad running down to dock - my daughter said I was in front of twenty people running to save the drowning child, though I didn't know that. But was clocked behind by Dad as he pushed me out of way to save his child. He didn't know I was watching her for half hour before she fell in but hey, he ignored me just like he ignored her. Days later I still am sore from his shoving me from behind into fence so he could get by me.

Was told by hotel since no one witnessed this incident from the staff - there would be no discussing of behavior with Dad of almost drowning victim. Also I gave a statement to hotel and was offered option to give statement to sheriff, sheriff declined. Was annoyed that I was given option to make statement to sheriff when sheriff had no intention of taking statement. That was amateur! No calls from management to inquire at all about the drowning incident or my injuries. Liability issue, perhaps?

How often do these almost drownings occur? That is what I would like to know. And is a shame because pool and lake are the best part of staying at the Sagamore.

Room Tip: just read the reviews, call the hotel, and voice your concerns before you book! Book early.
1 Thank FLIReporters
Dear FLIReporters,

Thank you for styaing with us for the week. Your patronage is truly appreciated. We take guest safety very seriously and would never casually shrug off any guest incident. We were very aware of the young girl that fell in the lake, and had multiple conversations with her parents. In addition our security team talked with you directly and made a call to the local sheriff on your instruction.

I am sorry that you felt we did not handle this situation to your satisfaction.We were not initially aware of your specific situation until you brought it to our attention. From there our security team spent time with you and also placed a call to the sheriff. We cannot comment on why he did not take a report.

As stated above, this was no casual incident, and we spoke with the parents of the girl on several occasions, and also with you. There was no attempt to not reach out to you because of any liability. Should you wish to discuss this further please reach out for me persoanlly.

Long Island, Ny
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Be prepared to visually be amazed, the lake and the grounds are breathtaking and restorative.
There are many activities , especially for the children on July 4th weekend. There were too many people there , very crowded, on that weekend. The waitresses and waiters were lovely and tried to be as accomodating as possible.
Our room was in the lodge 7. It needed some paint on the vanity and the mold in the tub was not cleaned through the 4 days we stayed, even though we complained to housekeeping.
The a/c was broken the first nite, so we sweated through to the second day and then complained twice, and they did fix it by the end of the day.
The "concierge" Charlie was an inexperienced , in over her head, young student. In a big hotel resort like this , we have come to expect excellent recommendations and ideas from an experienced person. Having never been to the resort before, we wanted some help on restaurants and activites.
Our advise is to book the restaurants yourself, since she said everything was booked solid the whole weekend, and that wasn't true , since we were able to find times wherever we wanted on the premisis.
The front dest check-in was herendous. The girl was so intrusive, asking personal questions in earshot of other guests, rambling on and on... we just wanted to get to our room and relax .
She was unstoppable ..again very young, and inexperienced. She gave us totally wrong information to all our questions, as we found out.
The restaurants were not fabulous, but also not terrrible.
Go for the view and the beautiful grounds, but beware , they may fall short of some of your expectations

Room Tip: If you stay in the lodge 5, 6 , or 7 there is a shuttle bus that circles the property and arrives pr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redheadLongIsland_Ny
Dear RedheadLongisland_Ny,

Thank you for staying with us for your Fourth of July Holiday. We were thrilled that many guests also chose the Sagamore as well. Your review was candid and for that I thank you. We continuously try to improve and we do use all reviews as a tool to improve. I was pleased to read your positive comments and thank you for the room tip about the shuttle. It was appreciated.

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We recently stayed here for a night. We loved the lake access, the pools, and the evening campfire. The gym facilities were excellent. The bed was comfortable, as people have mentioned the furniture itself is quite dated. We did pay extra for a lake view and it was very disappointing- we could barely see the lake.

1 Thank AprilinVT
Dear Aprilin VT,

Thank you for choosing The Sagamore and also for your review. Your comments were appreciated and hopefully helpful to others. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

So, the resort remains spectacular. Lakefront with exquisite facilities for enjoing the magnificent view and water sports, as well as golf and tennis. Really, it should be ideal. Knowing this, we booked the Governor's suite for the family. The room was not up to date and needs an overhaul (same as last year's review and nothing has chnaged on that front). However, last year the sleeper sofa did not have bedbugs in it. Nor did the Pavilion try to give us food poisoning via their mussels. This year, the hotel contrived to do both.

The fireworks are spectacular. But this hotel is sooooo not worth the drama anymore. They have clearly made a decision to become a "package holiday" hotel and bring the clients in on buses. Not for us.

Room Tip: Try to get one without bedbugs.
5 Thank Frazier E
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Frazier E,

I would have liked to have had the opportunity, while you were a guest of the hotel, to address the allegations posted in your review. Upon seeing your post we identified the room number where you stayed and did a thorough and complete inspection of the pullout, all blankets and linens and the other two beds and boxsprings in the suite. There were absolutely no signs of bed bugs. There has been nothing brought to our attention prior or post to your visit by any other guest.

There was no mention of any concerns with food served at the Pavilion during the night you dined there. We sreved many orders of mussels that night and certainly throughout the weekend and there were no guest complaints of illness.

I feel that when there are serious concerns, such as the ones you posted, we should have the opportunity to address either in person or through some correspondence aside from this posting. I look forward to speaking with you directly. I am sorry you disliked the decor of the Governors suite, we feel it is very up to date and does not need to be overhauled.

We do value that you are a repeat guest and hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

It is a great family friendly place with awesome rec center and kids program. Again the rooms could be better maintained. I upgraded to a premium suite as I have a family of six, and yet had to call that the wifi, dishwasher, safe and door lock did not work. All but the dishwasher was fixed, but still I go on vacation to relax, not to observe routine maintenance. If I wanted that I would stay at home

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David J
Dear David J,

Thank you for staying with us and for your recent review. Congratualtions on being a Top Contributor for Trip Advisor. Your comments were truly appreciated. I was pleased to read that you felt we were a great family friendly place. As you know the Rec is centered around family fun so it is always nice to see that we are accomplishing that goal. Thank you also for pointing out the areas of concern as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#24 of 88 in Lake George
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!