“The Sagamore never disappoints”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I just had my third or fourth visit to the Sagamore and my experience there is always a good one. I always go with family and this visit was a girls weekend with my mom, aunt, sisters and my daughter. We had a great time. The service is great, the grounds and the scenery are beautiful, and the food is good. The restaurants are very pricey but the food is also good. On this visit we at the golf club restaurant which is a Sagamore restaurant but have to take their shuttle or drive to get to it. It was the best meal while there and overall a fabulous meal! We all enjoyed it and I can say I had one of the best shrimp cocktails I have ever had. The rooms are clean and nice. We always enjoy the complimentary boat ride that goes around the lake. I only have two complaints...there tends some rather snobby guests who are just rude to other guests and who act like the pool is for their own use (this of course is not the fault of the Sagamore but the nature of the beast that frequent this type of property). Second, their smoking rule is 50 to 100 feet away from the building but with a good breeze the smoke blows right back up onto the porch. There were some cigar smokers there who just didn't care that their smoke was blowing right back up for others to smell. It seems, this day in age, that they could make the distance of the cigar smoking area a little further away from the building where people are sitting trying to enjoy breakfast. A handful of cigar smokers should not have more rights than the majority of people who prefer not to smell that.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kare17
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Kare 17,

Thank you for your recent review. I was thrilled to read that this was your third or fourth visit and I hope that pattern continues! Thank you for recognizing the efforts of the staff. I know they will be pleased. In addition, I was happy to read that the "girls" weekend was a success. I appreciate the complaints as well and we will try and impact it as much as possible.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to many more visits!

Regards,

Tom Guay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My love and I traveled with two children aged 5 and 7 from St. Louis on a two week road trip around the North East. When planning the trip, a family member suggested we stop in the Adirondacks. The Adirondacks is quite a large place with lots of lakes, so when I picked the Sagamore Hotel in Bolton Landing on Lake George from a random search on the Internet, I was a little nervous. We booked it through historichotels.org, and our reservation was implemented perfectly.
What an unbelievable find it was! We stayed here for only two nights; (Tues and Wed, July 22, and 23, 2014). Oh, how I wish we could have stayed there for longer. The historic hotel is located on it's own small island; Green Island. The resort property consists of a main hotel building, 7 separate lodge buildings, a conference center, a rec center, lots of green space and they have an off-site golf course and club house. There is a spa, 7 restaurants, gift shops, an out-door pool, an outdoor heated pool, an indoor pool with sides that open to make it more of a covered outdoor pool and a hot tub. There are roped, lifeguarded places to swim in the lake, (which is so clean, people in the area used it as drinking water for years). You can see down to the bottom of the water in the more shallow parts. There is also, boat rentals, kayaks, parasailing etc. right on site at the resort. They also offer a free cruise up 16 miles of the 36 mile Lake George river, along the Morgan, (which is a replica of a 19th century boat that cruised tourists in the past). We took the cruise and it was just stunning! A gentleman who works for the hotel speaks during the cruise giving you all the history on the Lake, including French-Indian War history. It was so interesting.
When we arrived, we were wowed by the pretty lobby, however just walking through to the south side, the view of the lake and beautiful landscaped greens leading to it were some of the most stunning I have ever seen, (and I have traveled 26 countries and most of the U.S.). I just kept trying to lock that view into my memory and could not take enough pictures.
We stayed right in the hotel, which I would recommend, because it is more convenient to the pools, restaurants and waterfront, but I heard from other guests, that the lodges were great and very comfortable and they are more affordable. We had booked the lodges due to our budget, but by some extraordinary stroke of good fortune, we were upgraded by the generosity of the GM. The GM is Thomas Guay and he is an exquisite example of good hospitality. I cannot thank him enough for all his personal efforts to ensure that a little family from the midwest enjoyed the luxury of this beautiful place. He was so thoughtful, he even had milk and cookies waiting for our little ones upon arrival.
Our room was beautiful and even had a huge closet; which worked out great for all our two weeks worth of luggage.
My love and his brave 7 year old girl para-sailed one day while I lounged by the pool. I met a lovely mother and daughter, who have been staying here for years. They informed me, that some of the guests were wealthy hob-nobbers from New York who put on airs and looked down there noses at the slightest hint of anything displeasing to them. Unfortunately, I do believe this is true. Of all the places we traveled around the East Coast on our two week trip, this was the only place, I could smile at people and they would actually look away. In fact, I must have heard 10 different people complaining about how hot and humid it was; yet it was mid 80's and hardly humid at all! Egg on their face, I loved everything about this place, and I couldn't find one thing to complain about!!
Oh, they also had a kid's club in the morning and at night. The kids did arts and crafts in the rec center one morning and it gave my honey and I some alone time. They had different events each night, including Smore's night. Oh how much fun that was! And one of the girls working the Smore's night, had grown up in the area and was so friendly and knowledgeable. We learned a lot about the history of the hotel and Lake George from her.
The restaurant choices were wonderful, from casual to fine dining. We sat on the veranda at Caldwell's and it had to be the prettiest view I have ever had while dining.
I really just can't say enough about this place. I could have stayed here with the family for two weeks or the whole summer and loved every minute of it. It was by far, our favorite stop on our trip; (and we visited some great places NYC, Boston, Cape Cod etc.).

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathleen M

Dear Kathleen M,

Thank you for the wonderful review! I was very happy to have you and your family experience the Adirondacks and The Sagamore. I hope that others look to your review as a comprehensive evaluation of what we have to offer and that it is truly "our pleasure". I hope the next trip to the Northeast includes us and we will be happy to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

nature on property is exceptionally beautiful-visit for 1 day,do not stay in hotel . . i order 1 king room for 2 of us and 16 year old son for 840$ for 2 nights ,call to hotel to make sure to have additional roll away -they answered they would do only it if we order from hotel directly, but we did through travelocity-they don't guaranteeing extra-bed and no pet policy .i read on web that many people come with pets . i panicked, canceled ,and bought suite for 1200 $ for 2 nights .our son stayed home with dog .on arrival we stayed in the line for customer service explained that we would like to downgrade to room with breakfast or some meals instead .that was polite but firm NO.while staying in line i overheard many phone calls -always No to all of them .in the hotel they call consumer service-consider it done-i would say -consider it NO. overall atmosphere of service-do not care-many people come with dogs.on Sunday they closed lake swimming area-everybody was swimming there through closed ropes .on day when guard was there -everybody jumped from deck, not deep enough and many stones,prety dangerous -guard never said any word .the only good thing was MORGAN and Daniel-thank you ,your love for Lake George and guests is exceptional .

Room Tip: do not stay -just day visit and eat -food was very good but pricey
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ira1346430

Dear ira1346430,

Your review was appreciated and although we would have preferred a glowing review I was happy that you took the time to write it. Our motto of "Consider it Done" is what we strive for on a daily basis and when we don't meet that expectation we need to know. You referenced several aspects of your stay and I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly. If not I completely understand. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My sister just had her wedding at the sagamore this past weekend and it could not have possibly been better. Everything about this location is perfect and it is absolutely gorgeous. The staff and event planner were SO helpful. The banquet crew were extremely polite and more than happy to do anything to their ability to make our day/evening perfect! Amazing staff, beautiful location, everything was exquisite!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kkeefer

Dear Kkeefer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and more importantly staying with us. I know our staff will be pleased to read your comments as well. We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Sagamore soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My family (2 adults, 3 children) stayed at the Sagamore a few years ago. The property was beautiful and we decided to return this summer. The first time that we stayed at the property, we stayed in the main hotel and I booked online through the hotel website and I paid an additional amount to be on the Concierge Level, and this was indicated on my confirmation. When we arrived at the hotel, we were given a basic room. When I pointed out that we paid for the Concierge Level, we were told that there were new owners and they replaced the Concierge Lounge with additional rooms, so it no longer existed. When I complained that we paid extra for this and they needed to refund us the additional amount paid, they said there was nothing they could do. This led to several discussions with the manager, Tom Guay, who did the right thing and compensated us. Other than problems with the air conditioning, the rest of the trip went well. This was a few years ago and we decided to go back this summer. Since my children are older (and much bigger) we decided to book a Premium Walk In Villa. We booked it with a AAA rate (still extremely expensive) for 5 nights and had until 7/22 at 4pm to cancel. Given my children's high school sports schedules, we are only able to travel for 4 nights, so I called the Sagamore and asked that they take the first night off of my reservation. I was told that they were unable to do that because there is a minimum 5 night stay required. I said that this was not the case when I booked it and my confirmation did not indicate this. I was told that since the resort is now full on AAA rates, a 5 night minimum stay had been put in place since I booked. I was told that I would either have to pay for the 5 nights or cancel there reservation and pay the even higher Leisure Rate for the 4 nights (which would almost equal the amount I was paying for 5 nights on the AAA rate). I asked to speak with a manager and was told that the Revenue Manager would be in at 8am the following morning and that a detailed message was left for her to review and decide if she would accommodate us and take off the first night. I was told I would receive a call in the morning - never did. This was July 21 and my cancellation deadline was July 22. I was told that I only had until 11am to cancel. I indicated that my confirmation said that the cancellation time was 4pm and I was told that they charge credit cards at 11am and that technically I had until 4pm but I would then have to wait for them to reverse the charges, which could take some time. I waited for a call the following morning and never received one, so I called at 10:59am and cancelled my reservation. I wound up booking a trip to a top resort in Puerto Rico for the same 4 nights and including airfare and hotel, it was costing the same as my stay at the Sagamore would have cost for hotel only. This was just incredibly poor customer service and given I have had reservation issues both times that I booked this hotel, I feel like they are playing games. They also charge a $35 non refundable fee for the privilege of making a reservation. I travel extensively and often stay at luxury properties and have never heard of such a thing. I am truly disappointed to be treated so poorly but am looking forward to my trip to Puerto Rico.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank cjcmk
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear cjcmk,

I am sorry that we were unable to meet your request to drop one night of your stay. Drop is what we did in this case as in "dropped the ball" and for that I apologize. I will speak directly with our revenue manager and reservations team and learn why we did not accommodate your request. I wish that I had the chance to speak with you directly like we did during your previous stay.

With regards to the $35.00 non refundable fee please contact me directly and I will credit it back to you. This fee is only a separate fee if you should cancel, which in your case you did, but for a reservation met it is part of the rate.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and should you decide to give us another chance I look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Although this is our first time at The Sagamore, we can tell it is a place of family memories and countless stories. It is a fantastic getaway! Wonderful staff! The hotel is a nostalgic place reminiscent of old money and class. Lake George and the surrounding area reminded my wife and I of Stressa, Italy. The staff were always anxious to serve and lives up to their motto, "consider it done!". Make sure you put the Sagamore on your Bucket list
!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank soonerservant

Dear soonerservant,

Thank you for recognizing the staff and more importantly for staying with us. I was thrilled to see that you are a first time guest and we all look forward to ensuring that we welcome you back year after year!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife had a conference at the Sagamore and we decided to bring the family. I was initially somewhat nervous about bringing my kids because the website portrays the resort as being extremely stuffy. I feared the resort was just going to be filled with guys named Tyler wearing boat shoes, sending their steaks back to the kitchen, and old ladies playing croquet and giving me and my kids dirty looks. HOWEVER, despite there being tons of guys in boat shoes, the resort was the complete opposite of what I feared it to be. It was literally the most family friendly hotel/resort that I've ever been to and there were TONS of families and kids enjoying the pools and the restaurants.

The resort was really clean and classy and the staff was incredibly helpful. There were TONs of activities to do with the family such as boating, fishing, a cool man-made beach area, a boat tour on the Morgan, horse carriage rides, a fabulous playground, a solid nature trail, and a nice gym. The food at the restaurants was top notch (although expect high end resort pricing) and the room service was perfect.

I cannot stress to you how great and helpful the staff was to me and my family.

Few tips: buy your beer and food for your hotel room at the Tops Grocery Store that you see as your enter the resort--bars at the resort are about 7-8 bucks a beer. Also, perhaps explore some of the restaurants in the town as they are all great and more reasonably priced (compared to high end resort menu prices). Also, I might request a room with a view of the lake as the majority or the lodges do not have views of the lake whatsoever...and you want that view if you go there because it's AMAZING. Lastly, bring bug spray as the nights are gorgeous but buggy and you want to enjoy the nights so get your OFF spray on.

The only hiccup was that the TV in hotel room didn't work well but who cares bc there was so many cooler things to do other then sit in your hotel room.

Room Tip: Just request a room with a view if that's what you want as most the rooms in the lodges DO not o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Lin755

Dear Lin755,

What a great review. I was pleased to see that you brought the whole family and more importantly I was happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. What I liked the most is that you pointed out the many reasons that The Sagamore is great for a getaway. If I could, as you pointed out the lodge rooms do not have lake views but the lodge suites do, and we have exactly the same number of each room type in the lodges.

Thank you again for the fun review and we hope The Sagamore is in your future travel plans!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Tea Island Resort
Tea Island Resort
#5 of 89 in Lake George
The Chateau On The Lake - Chateau Rooms

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!