“Poor, all the way around.”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Poor, all the way around.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Inattentive staff, terrible food and horrendous attitude at front desk. Not worth the money. Beautiful site, but even that could not overcome the very poor experience. We would never step foot in there again. Used to be top-notch, but is no longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Rob M
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Rob M,

I was sorry to see that your stay last May did not meet expectations. We are not "Poor, all the way around". What we are is a resort that tries very hard to please each and every guest. I know that in certain cases we cannot please everyone and for that I am truly sorry. I also know that we fall short at times and for that I can say that we will try harder the next time. In your case I know that you probably won't return, and that is unfortunate. I believe in The Sagamore and know we are capable of far better than you experienced. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail and would welcome a call.

Tom Guay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Cobleskill, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have stayed at The Sagamore for many years. I enjoy it at all seasons of the year. The current owners have made some nice improvements, while simultaneously reducing some of its distinctiveness. They have turned the former Sagamore Dining Room and Trilliums restaurants into one more of their La Bella Vita interpretations, which are in many of their other properties. I enjoy Italian fine dining, but I like other types as well. La Bella Vitas have the same unchanging menu regardless of which property you are visiting. One of the most Adirondack-like dining and drinking alternatives at the resort since its beginning is Mr.Brown's Pub. Yet the current management seems to cut back its hours of operation more each year. Their website implies that there are numerous dining and drinking options throughout the resort. In fact, anyone visiting before or after their brief summer season will find most of the venues closed, with only Caldwell's lounge and the favored La Bella Vita open.

Room Tip: Do not let them assign you a room in Lodge 7. It is not within easy walking distance of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear JEI237,

Thank you for your recent review. We value hearing from our guests and always are appreciative of constructive comments. In your case, thank you for the remarks that the owners have made some nice improvements. Each one under the premise to improve the guest experience and also offer additional activities that will make our guests stay enjoyable. Specifically, our restaurant hours of operations do change seasonally and I thank you for pointing that out.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back!

Branford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is my first review on Trip Advisor and I had to write about our recent stay at The Sagamore. What an amazing time we had at this timeless resort. We stayed at the hotel for two nights and it was one of the best trips we had ever taken. My husband and I love to travel and have been to some pretty beautiful places, and The Sagamore is definitely top on our list now. We went to the hotel with our two sons, 6 and 3, and my mom. There was so much for the kids to do all around the resort! We rented the boat down by the pier and toured the lake by ourselves which was one of the best things we got to experience as a family. I wish I had gotten the young man's name who helped us that day. He was so helpful and accommodating and just an all around nice guy. The pools, lake, sand area, and rec room was top on our list! The kids LOVED the rec room and I must say, this rec room is pretty amazing. We were able to play basketball, rock climb, mini golf and even mini golf as a family. The food was very good as well. The only thing I think the hotel can improve on would be getting food out in a more timely manner. We had a delicious meal at La Bella Vita but the time to get our main meal and even dessert was way too long. But other than that this resort is perfection. I am already planning our next trip. The views of the lake are simply spectacular and was the first time I was able to experience the true beauty of Lake George. If you are thinking about coming to this resort, think no more...just book it and go!!! You will not regret this trip.....truly a hidden gem and one of the BEST family vacations we have taken.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LCS2929
Dear LCS2929,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Obviously we were thrilled with your posting and thank you for highlighting many of the activities which make us unique. I was particularly pleased that you are already planning your next trip! I am happy that you chose us and we cannot wait to welcome you back to The Sagamore as soon as possible!

New york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were never told the "premium condo" at 1200.00 a night was privately owned and stunk of dog, stains of who knows what EVERYWHERE, filthy glassware etc.... I could go on for 12 hrs which was the amount of time of our stay!!! We could not wait for the sunrise to get the hell out and come home and take a shower because We sure weren't doing it there!!! Lake George is stale just like your resort which is a crying shame. As we were checking out early at the front desk so was another dissatisfied family with same filthy complaints. I would also like to point out how unprofessional Tom Guay, GM is with his defensive responses on this site. It's pathetic. I would love to see him take the terrible reviews and instead, use them as tools to improve! Please and Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014
10 Thank AnnieJ24
Dear AnnieJ24,

I am sorry that you feel my responses on this site are defensive. My goal is to try and be receptive to every posting and we do try very hard to use all reviews as a tool to improve. We discuss each review, and listen carefully to what our guests are telling us. In your specific case, I am sorry that we did not meet expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally, as I am sure the information you provide would be helpful.

Thank you again and I hope we get the opportunity to speak in person.

Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My husband, 9 year old son and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Sagamore. We loved it. Great place for kids, our son loved the rec center. We went kayaking, tubing and water skiing (all at an additional cost). Bolton Landing is a quaint small town with cute shops and restaruants ( try the ice cream at Stewarts).
The staff was courteous and helpful. We stayed in a lower level lodge located near the rec center, the room was clean, bathroom small, very dark due to being on the lower level.
Expensive but worth it. Nice place for a family reunion or wedding.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jp2ct
Dear jp2ct,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for pointing out that there is a lot to do for families! We believe there is and truly enjoy seeing the smiling faces throughout the property. Thank you for choosing The Sagamore and we look forward to your return!

Regards,

Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The "Sag" as locals call it is the premier resort hotel at Lake George. You just need to do your homework and your experience will be wonderful. We stayed in a one bedroom villa, unit 7 which is the farthest from the hotel. We chose this location for the peace and quite. Unfortunately in a three story unit we had a family of three small children above and the foot traffic noice was constant. The unit below also had small children who rise early and are outside using loud voices. The unit was comfortable and attractive with all the amenities. The view, just filtered lake view through the trees even though it is lake front. Also rather dark at walk in level. Choose the hotel if you want gorgeous lake views. We really enjoyed all of the outdoor dining and lounge seating! And wonderful, friendly service.

Room Tip: Villas only have filtered lake views through the trees.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Explore2262
Dear Explore2262,

Thank you for posting your review and most importantly staying with us. We know you have a choice of where to stay and we were thrilled you chose us. I was pleased to read that the staff provided wonderful friendly service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sagamore again!

vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

we did not stay at the hotel but we did eat lunch at one of their public restaurants. We ate at the Pavillion down by the water. It overlooked the lake and was real nice. The food was a few dollars more than you would spend in town but you are paying for the setting. I had the fried shrimp and it was excellent (6 giant shrimps) the french fries were good and hot also.. Iced tea came with free refills also. Wait staff was friendly and courteous. The grounds are pretty at the hotel but I come from Vermont so you cant impress me with the lake and mountains. All in all a nice place to visit for a few hours if you are in Bolton Landing.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view upper floors what else is there?
Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrslick
Dear mrslick,

Thank you for coming in for the day and posting your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the food and service met expectations. I know our staff will be pleased to see your review! We look forward to another day visit of if plans allow we would love to have you stay the night!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#26 of 87 in Lake George
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!