“Gorgeous Hotel, Grounds and Vistas”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Torrington, CT
“Gorgeous Hotel, Grounds and Vistas”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We just returned from 4 days at the Sagamore. It is a beautiful old hotel. The maintenance of the grounds are breathtaking. We had the privilege of witnessing a wedding on the terrace by the outdoor pool. They will have breathtaking photos for sure. A 2nd wedding reception took place Sat evening and they had fireworks right off the water. A real treat for all the guests of the hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting down by the water for 4-5 hours each day enjoying the beautiful weather, watching the boats go by and the thrills of children catching fish off the docks. If you are there on a Thurs evening, take the Morgan boat ride to the Village for the fireworks. The desserts on board were great, especially the warm choco chip cookies. The staff goes above and beyond to meet your needs and have been trained well in manners, always ending each sentence with, It was my pleasure. The Italian Rest. and Steak Club are both 5* and our meals were perfect. I must say the bartender at the Clubhouse makes a perfect martini! Great memories and we will return some day. Thank you Staff - Diane & David

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyDi
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear David and Diane,

The best part of your review was "Great memories and we will return some day". Thank you for sharing your experience with others and I was happy that we got to speak in person. We value your candid feedback and thank you for pointing out areas where we need to continuously focus on. It was appreciated.

We look forward to "some day" and hope it is sooner than later!

Tom Guay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Reviewed 6 August 2014

When mentioning to a friend that we were visiting Lake George, she insisted to visit the Sagamore for a drink on the deck. We went beyond that and booked a golf package with an overnight stay.
Indeed the scenery and grounds are worth the trip, and the hotel offers many amenities and outings. The room are sizeable and nice, maybe a bit noisy. The lodges are similar to those in ski resorts, but only half have a view. However, the service does not keep up. We enquired about an early arrival by 2 pm as we had an afternoon tee time, which was OK-ed. But no rooms ready when we arrived (fortunately we were in golf outfits); no excuses. We also booked for dinner at 8pm (Bella Vista) but when arriving - at 8 - we're told the waiting was at least half an hour ( why book?). Again no apology or explanation. We found evidence of previous visitors in the bathroom, not expected in such an hotel. The golf was good!
Still, we should have followed our friend's advice: go there for a drink on the deck and enjoy the view.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the shoe side. Do not accept a basement lodge room on the street side.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TJ V,

I was sorry to see that the service level you expected from us was not met. Although not what we want to read thank you for voicing your concerns. I know we are capable of far better and your comments will help us to improve. With regards to finding previous visitors in the bathroom, that is completely not acceptable and for that I apologize. Our housekeeping team work very hard and I know we will take your comments to heart.

Thank you for choosing us, and hopefully the next time you are enjoying a drink on the deck you just might give us another try!

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Sagamore was the final stop on a three week holiday in and around New England. Having stayed in some lovely places along the way, (Chatham Bars Inn, Chatham on Cape Cod, Castle Hill Inn, Newport Rhode Is.) the Sagamore was a bit of a mixed bag. The main building and grounds are lovely, with a superb location overlooking the lake. It is very well staffed with well trained young people on College vacation. It is instantly obvious that some families have been coming here for generations; grandparents, parents and children in small and large groups everywhere. What this does mean is that you have to be prepared for some areas of the hotel (the pools, the lobby, the restaurants for early dinner or breakfast) to be very busy and incredibly noisy. This isn't a romantic getaway or somewhere you would go to enjoy the serenity of the scenery! On the one hand, with teenage children of our own, it was lovely to see the little ones rolling down the hills and having a great time, but we hardly used the pools because it was just so noisy. The lakefront sunbeds are a more enjoyable experience. The Italian restaurant serves fantastic food although it is by no means cheap. The seafood/deck restaurant by the lake was beautifully located but the food a bit average. Overall, we found the staff very helpful - Amanda in reception was outstanding. There were some things however which were quite annoying. For our sixth and final night, we phoned the desk at 10am to make a dinner reservation. We were told that all the restaurants were fully booked and we could not be accommodated anywhere. At over $1100 a night for our condo for 6 nights, you can do the math. It was extraordinary to be told that they could not feed us! It's not as though there is much of any quality outside the resort. To their credit, they did sort us out in the end, but only after we insisted they find a spot. When we went to dinner that night, there were a number of empty tables so not sure about their table management. We had condo 7C5, a good way from the main hotel, but with an amazing shuttle service that was ready to collect you at a moments notice. The condo itself was clean and very spacious. The only (major) downside was that the air conditioning plant is located in a cupboard adjoining the bedroom and the noise made it impossible to sleep if it was on. This meant chilling the room down in the evening, turning the AC off to go to sleep, on again in the middle of the night when it got too hot.........Not clever. I would definitely recommend the Sagamore for anyone with very young families and a deep wallet. Personally, I will probably leave it to the families for whom it clearly is a well loved 'home from home' holiday destination and go somewhere else. The area and the lake is stunningly beautiful and we are very glad to have experienced it.

Room Tip: If renting a condo, make sure the AC plant isn't in your bedroom!
2 Thank Noreen512
Dear Noreen512,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was happy to read that overall you found the staff very helpful and please know that Amanda will be thrilled that you recognized her efforts. You are correct that in the summer we welcome many families to the resort but we also happily welcome couples alike. The resort is large enough where we hope one can find the peace and tranquility they are looking for. Thank you for staying with us and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back!

Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Each year, I am amazed at how much the Sagamore improves over the prior years, but this year they have earned the 5 stars in my book. I first came to the Sagamore in 1963 to work during college, and returned for 2 more years. Then is the 70's I would come up with my young family and would be upset with the deterioration of this great hotel. Then in the mid 80's it was re-opened by Omni Resorts, and they continued to improve it year after year. Now I return with my children and grandchildren, and I am so grateful to Opal Resorts to bringing the Sagamore to it's highest level ever.
The grounds and the view, are worth the price of admission, but the way the hotel's facilities and accommodations have been improved, it has to be the best hotel in the Adirondack's if not all of northeast NY State.
The rooms, views, restaurants, pools, waterfront, recreation center and children's programs are the best. However, my favorite is the Donald Ross, Sagamore Golf Course. It is a short drive from the hotel in the mountains, and has the most spectacular view from the first tee to rival any hole in golf. The Club Grill is the best restaurant at the Sagamore, so make your reservations before you go.
The improved recreation center has something for everyone, but particularly the children on a not so sunny day. Miniature golf, tennis, basketball, rock climbing, a whiffle ball stadium and much, much more.
The pools and beach area are large and perfect for everyone. There is an indoor pool as well. Be sure to enjoy the lake front facilities. You can rent any number of different type boats to operate yourself, or with an operator. We went Para-Sailing and enjoyed it immensely. Be sure to bring a camera up with you and take some breathtaking pictures of the lake and hotel. My 8 and 6 year old granddaughters really loved it as well.
Not to be missed is the cruise on the hotel's boat, The Morgan. This is free, so make reservations for one of several cruises each day. You can buy good food and drinks on the boat, and they also narrate the places around the lake, as well as the history of the lake.

I hope that my grandchildren will continue to come here for years to come and pass on the love of Lake George and the Sagamore to their children.

Room Tip: On a first visit, I would recommend a hotel room with a lake view.
2 Thank Tleuzarder
Dear Tleuzarder,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with others. I was humbled by your review and cannot thank you enough. Like you we all hope that the grandkids continue to come to the lake George region for years to come and it would be our pleasure to have The Sagamore host them each and every year. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

usa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

As the grandchildren age and join parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, the vacation gets better and better.Our 11 month old granddaughter visited for the first time. She rolled on the grass....walked between Adirondack chairs....splashed in the pools. She was all smiles for 4 days. Our 3 1/2 year old visited for the fourth year. She 'owned' the place.
She was outside from 7 am to 830 pm....enjoying the sun, swimming, playing with her sister and new friends. The grass, gardens, patios, deck, beach are perfect samplers and settings for a young child. No need for ipad..or indoor activities. This year the food was particularly great. The choices were expanded and the quality was perfect, especially the deserts.
The adults had a fab time. The weather allows you to be outside from sunrise to sunset. Whether you are active or sedentary, the setting is exemplary. It reminds us of Stresa, Italy, peaceful and majestic. The service was excellent at all levels. While the rooms are fine, we hardly spent any time in them....why would you.
So, while I look for critical points, I can't find any. We are even happy that the I Prefer points system has been created. We look forward to collecting points on our annual visits to gorgeous Sagamore, Lake George.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sue75
Dear sue75,

I would like to thank you and the entire family for staying with us. In addition it is always a pleasure to read that grandkids, moms and dads and grandparents alike can experience The Sagamore together! We value the family and cannot thank you enough for supporting us for so long. It is truly appreciated, and on behalf of the entire Sagamore team we look forward to welcoming you all back in 2015!

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We traveled here with three children under the age of three. Our children had a blast in the pools and playing on the grass hill with other children. The other families staying here were all very friendly unlike other places we have been. We stayed in a one bedroom suite in lodge 7. Our room was on the bottom floor so we were able to bring our double stroller around the back of the building right into the room instead of storing in the car or bringing down the main entrance stairs. The rec area was nice as well. The complimentary boat ride was relaxing and fun. Perfect for a long weekend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Immaculatelawns1
Dear Immaculatelawns,

I was thrilled to see that you found The Sagamore "Great for kids and adults alike". Our goal is to provide offerings, programs and amenities for all ages and I was happy to see that you enjoyed many of them. We know you have choices of where to stay and we thank you for choosing us!

All the best,

Old Westbury, NY
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is our 15th trip to The Sagamore and by far our worst experience. There are little things that the hotel now does which takes away from it's previous glory. When making our reservation we were told that they are no longer part of the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts Program - we loved this program as it allowed us to get complimentary buffet breakfast (we had to pay a ridiculous $23 per person instead) - when we queried Amex we were told they had received numerous complaints about the property, hence they were dropped. Boy, was Amex right.
When we checking in and went our closed-sized lake front room, there was a dirty cleaning rag in the bathroom and a sconce light was out. The room felt tired and dusty as well.
When we went for coffee early the next morning before breakfast, they had an area where we had to pay $3.50 for a cup of coffee - c'mon at over $700 per night we can't get complimentary coffee in the lobby? Sure, we had a Keurig in the room, if you could stomach non-dairy powdered creamer.
Worst part was the next day when I had my drivers license stolen from my room - I had it on the dresser and when I returned in the afternoon it was gone. Shame on me for leaving it out but you would think a hotel of this caliber would be safe.
Overall, this was a very disappointing experience, especially for the price!

3 Thank rdelman
Dear rdelman,

I hope you know that your comments are truly appreciated. First and foremost thank you for staying with us this July and previously. 15 visits is impressive and for that I thank you. Each season we review all offerings and guest amenities and continuously try to improve year over year. I am sorry that this year we did not meet your expectations. Although you mentioned that we are in decline I can assure you that our owners and every member of The Sagamore staff continue to focus on getting better each and every day.

Thank you again for your candid comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#24 of 88 in Lake George
Boathouse Bed and Breakfast A Lake Castle Estate on Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!