“Disgruntled employees who don't have enough support. One bartender at the most beautiful spot mid busy season??!”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel has a wonderful location and amazing views, however, felt they were lacking a quarterback on service standards and company line. Everywhere we went there was major room for improvement. For the prices you're paying per night- service should be WAY improved. The kids club called middle of our dinner to say they lost our 5 and 8 year old. The spa employee I had spent the entire 75 minutes of my service talking about her complicated personal life...while traveling with my sisters family- the front desk was unable to put us on the same floor let alone near each other in the hotel, the concierge was the most unfriendly, unpersonable staff member we encountered in the hotel! For a 4 star resort- expected much more. Seems this beautiful old hotel has been taken over by a corporate conglomerate and that is evident in every aspect of the service and amenities.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank DDand3
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear DDand3,

Your review was concerning on many fronts. I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. I take responsibility for the associates of The Sagamore and when they err it is on me. You described specific instances which I was fully aware of during your stay and for that I apologize. I will however tell you that the vast majority of our staff care deeply about serving the guest and share in my concern when we fall short. Thank you for staying with us and I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back. I know we are more than capable of providing the guest experience you would expect from The Sagamore.

Tom Guay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,681)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

While we enjoyed our stay at this beautiful property, it does not offer tremendous value for your money. The grounds are really nice, especially the pool deck overlooking the lake. We did enjoy playing at the hotel golf course located a short drive away. A classic mountain course in good condition.

Room Tip: We booked a lake view room at a premium to find that our view of the lake was oblique at best. As we...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rusty2424,

Thank you for staying with us and for your candid remarks. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our Donald Ross classic golf course. I was sorry however to read that you felt the value wasn't there for you. Again thank you for your comments and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back so we can put you in a room on the third floor with a view that is much more to your liking.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

After booking our week at the Sagamore Resort at Lake George, I did some research and found the reviews on Tripadvisor a little concerning especially when it came to those reviews of the lodge which is the "entry level" vacation package for this very upscale resort. Our family had been to the Lake George area in past years but always stayed at the quaint, family owned roadside cottages which have their own character but I had always wanted to stay at the grand Sagamore resort which possesses the same aura as the grand hotels of yesteryear such as the Hotel Coronado in San Diego.

First off I need to say that if you are the kind of person who expects perfection because they are paying a lot of money, then you will always be dissatisfied with something anywhere. As I read the negative reviews, what I was most impressed with was the professionalism and the positive attitude of the Sagamore General Manager, Tom Guay who answered most reviews, postive and negative with more patience and politeness than I could ever muster.

Yes, the lower level lodges may be darker than the upper level, however it is built into a slope and is very mucy like a walk out basement so that the porch is level with the road in the back. The decor and furnishings are modern and upscale, the bathrooms are large and contemporary, the kitchen unit is clean and supplied with basic amenities. What I pay for is the atmosphere, charm and hospitality of the hard working staff. When we walk over to the main hotel to use the facilities everything is top notch, the hotel itself is grand and elegant, the hotel grounds are manicured, staff are all friendly. This is a great place for family, especially the rec center where my kids spent the majority of their time instead of moping in the hotel room as they are wont to do at this age. They have scheduled activities all day for kids of all ages and the evening campfire with sing along, although it sounds hokey was very well done and everyone gravitated towards the campfire including the conference guests still dressed in suits!

We spent one whole day lounging by poolside and in between dozing off in the sunshine, the views of magnificent Lake George with all its summer activities, to me is the classic summer family vacation and the fact that the kids could entertain themselves made it very relaxing for the parents. This is why I came to the Sagamore resort!

My ONLY suggestion would be:
1) more towels at least in the lodge where our family of 5 needs more than the few towels supplied but one call to the front desk and we receive and abundance of towels in a few minutes
2) more information on little things such as do we need to bring towels to the pool, or how to use the cable TV selections as their new cable system uses channels such as 36-2 which was confusing to use on a standard remote but was easy after someone from maintenance showed us. Again small things compared to the whole

Room Tip: Lower level lodges were larger than expected and was more than adequate for family of 5. Was told t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony C

Dear Tony C,

I thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us. You view was appreciated and I hope that your review will be helpful to others. Responding to reviews on this site are something that I do not take lightly. As a team we discuss each and every review and always try and react accordingly. Always with the guest first approach.

I was thrilled to see that you had a great stay and again thank you for your review, the tips and highlighting why you come to The Sagamore!

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

First....the POSITIVES:. 1. Main inn is beautiful on the exterior and in the interior common areas. Lovely terrace with beautiful views of the lake . First impression upon driving up was very favorable. 2. Our cruise on The Morgan was great - captain shared his vast historical knowledge of the Lake and the area. We had a great afternoon.

NEGATIVES: Four college friends from different areas of the country planned this trip 10 months out, and anticipated a very enjoyable and memorable gathering. Our disappointment began upon checking in - our requested adjoining lakefront rooms were on separate floors , and a change was not available until day 2. The staff was curt and showed no concern for our needs. The hassle of unpacking and repacking and dragging bags up & down several flights of stairs in a dirty, damp and cobweb-filled stairwell was a pain. We requested assistance - none available at that time. The first room was dirty, dried Cheerios from previous guests on floor and bedside table . Dirty, smudged mirrors, mold around tub, floors needed to be vacuumed. Certainly not what one would expect from an "upscale" resort. After relocation the following day, the second room had a dirty kitchen area and exposed wires where the light fixture would have been over the dining table. Used Kleenex on the floorUgh! Totally unacceptable, especially for the thousands of dollars we paid.
We dined in 4 of their restaurants -food seemed to be hit or miss and service varies from very good (once) to very slow and disinterested servers (twice). Views of the Lake were outstanding, however.
Evidently, the current owners have reduced staff dramatically and focus on the bottom line, rather than providing excellent accommodations and service. Needless to say, while we enjoyed spending several days with our dear friends, none of us would ever return to this property. No where even near a 4 or 5 star resort -really a diss appointment.

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank gww3

Dear gww3,

I would rather stick to the positives but know that your negatives should be addressed. Like I have said in previous responses we do appreciate hearing the good and bad. In your specific case I apologize for the cleanliness of the stairways and room. Not acceptable and we hear you. Also your comments about dining are noted. I truly apologize and wish you had a better experience. I know we are capable of better. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Sagamore is one of the old jewels of the grand hotels in New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. The setting is unparalleled -- an island in the middle of Lake George. This is the old money part of Lake George, not the Lake George of ticky tacky gift shops and old 1950s playlands like Santa's Kingdom and Frontiertown (although to be fair there is an endearing quality to that Lake George). The rooms are not large -- true -- as an old place it has its quirks and sometimes you can hear noises in the hall -- true. But it has lots of character. Just sit by the lake, find a good novel, and have a wonderfully relaxing vacation.
PS And how's this for service? My husband forgot his suit jacket and we had a formal event the next morning -- too late to go shopping. The concierge and the staff spent more than hour finding a coat that fit him from ones left behind by other guests. And they did it with a smile.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alice P

Dear Alice P,

Thank you for saying that we are an "Upstate Jewel". You comments are truly appreciated and I know the staff will also be pleased. In addition, thank you for recognizing the efforts of the concierge and staff as well. Please enjoy the remainder of the summer.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel is beautiful and charming, and all the restaurants on site are good. We would definitely return. Our room was quaint but had some nice modern touches in the accessories (the bathroom was also updated). I will agree with other reviewers that the pool and lake get crowded during the summer - so I would recommend trying to get down to the water or pool by 10-10:30 a.m. to get a spot. The on-site spa was nice but small (I don't think I had a "spa experience" when I got a manicure and pedicure here but it was done well). I thought the on-site gym was nice and there were classes offered such as pilayo. The cruise trip on the Sagamore's Morgan touring boat was relaxing and scenic. In terms of meals at the on-site restaurants, I would get the lobster roll during your stay! Also, I would recommend eating at the Pavilion restaurant on-site because you are literally eating on the water with some fantastic views. There are amazing views of Lake George from this hotel so I highly recommend taking the time to walk around the resort property (including the nature trail). One warning - if you order a latte you are not getting a real latte (it is nespresso and not real or handcrafted lattes which I expected for this establishment).

Room Tip: Staying in the main hotel property and not in one of the lodges is probably more convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kreynolz,

Thank you for choosing the Sagamore and for your review. I was pleased to see that you took advantage of much of what we have to offer. In addition I know the chef will be pleased that you gave a shout out to the lobster roll! It is a guest favorite for sure! Thank you again for choosing The Sagamore and we hope we get the opportunity to see you again!

All the best,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and i spent 3 nights and the Sagamore and were extremely satisfied. It is an old hotel with the quirks you'd might expect from a place with age (for example, floors sometimes squeak). However, it has been updated as required, but still contains a lot of its period features. The staff was great and there's much to do or not do, if that is your pleasure. For example, you can swim in one of several pools, or if you like, they have a roped off area of the lake with a life guard. Also, there are trips around the lake several times a week on the Morgan, an old pseudo-steamer which is very delightful. In addition, the restaurants on site are very good and reasonably priced; but don't expect them to be 4 star (who needs it on a vacation). In sum, we plan to go back in the future and stay more than 3 nights.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cookiebob

Dear Cookiebob,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I was happy to read that the staff was great and there's so much to do! Comments such as yours are truly appreciated. I also was pleased to read that you will be back and stay with us for more than three nights. Could I suggest the whole summer?

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#13 of 89 in Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!