“"The Skinny" on a having a Good Family Vacation”

The Sagamore Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bolton Landing
New York City, New York
“"The Skinny" on a having a Good Family Vacation”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

First time at Sagamore and Lake George area. Wife and I traveled with 4 & 6 y.o. children. Very easy drive up from NYC (4+ hrs but only one highway - 87). Hotel and lake area are both picture postcard beautiful. Property was fully booked but amazingly did not feel like it. Like many resorts, you have to be thoughtful of timing at a full hotel by getting down to breakfast early (around 8a), getting a few pool chairs, and planning in advance those things that are most important to your having a good time (special dinner, tennis, Morgan cruise, spa, etc.). We enjoyed sunny/warm weather but I can imagine that things could become more difficult with a full resort's worth of people crammed inside.

Enough of the preamble - here's the deal:
*Room rates are expensive and the only time I felt like we were not getting enough bang for the buck was - oddly enough - in the rooms (especially so since we did not spend much time in them). Décor is dated, which is ok given historic nature of hotel, but no extra outlets at desk for laptop or other electronics, no movie channels (or pay per view) for kids or grown ups, and swapping out two old armchairs for a more modern loveseat/ottoman would have made the room more comfortable. King suite was perfect - kids slept on sofa bed in separate room and master bedroom was large. Amazingly, did not hear other guests while in the room. Maybe just lucky, but did not seem to be a raucous crowd.

*Food was priced on par with what we pay in NYC for meals out - not cheap but not outrageous resort prices. Quality was good but may not wow a foodie. Biggest disappointment was selections on kids menus. The usual suspects: chicken fingers, hot dog, sliders, mac-n-cheese. We don't ban these foods at home but we also do not feed it to our kids every night. A little creativity in offering fruit/veggies, quesadillas, turkey meatballs, or other items would have made us happier.

*Pool area was very good. Three pools (small, large, covered) offered some variety for us and kids. All had shallow ends for kids and big/covered were large enough for kids to horse around, throw balls, and still give room for adults that wanted to be left alone. Notwithstanding some people's experience, there really are enough chairs for everyone but not everyone can sit on the 50-yard line. The hotel does a good job trying to prevent people from claiming a handful of chairs early and then not using them for hours. Witnessed one woman really giving the business to two helpless teens working at the property for enforcing the rule. She had staked out 5 chairs and when she showed up a few hours later, wondered why they were not still available. She browbeat them enough to get chairs and then proceeded to use only one of them as the rest of her family was too busy enjoying the property. Advice: chill, take two chairs, and don't have a cow if you're off on the side.

*The Morgan cruise may not wow the kids but adults will enjoy the history and the beautiful scenery. The Rec is a terrific activity complex and is a perfect way to get out of the sun/pool for an hour or two and keep the kids busy (mini-golf, Ping-Pong, rock climbing, movies, basketball, billiards). A slightly larger play area with Lego, Erector Set, etc. would be a nice addition. Croquet, horseshoes, and other outdoor treats are sprinkled around the property and fun for (city) kids that have never seen these games. Next year we'll fish, jump in the lake, kayak.

*Staff was present, helpful, and friendly. We felt very secure on the grounds and let the kids roam a little freer than we might at other resorts. Pleasantly surprised how friendly and conversational the other guests were. Kids played together with adults participating or hanging around the periphery chatting away. If you are from the tri-state area, it will not take long to find a connection (two degrees of separation).

*Took advantage of nearby Bolton Landing on a few occasions as a diversion. An easy 10-15 min walk from the hotel building to the main drag which has the typical small town pizza place, ice cream shop(s), restaurants, toy store. About 1/2mile from one end to the other. Food is fair quality and prices are NYC variety but Smallville feeling makes it worthwhile.

Bumped into the general manager (Tom G.), who manages to run a property, respond to almost every TripAdvisor comment, and stop and chat with us for 10 minutes while I am sure on his way to some kind of urgent resort matter. Tom and his team appear to work very hard to provide an enjoyable experience for everyone.

Room Tip: Main hotel is most convenient to restaurants, waterfront, and pool area. "Premium lodge rooms...
4 Thank L K
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear L K,

I was thrilled to read that your first time at The Sagamore was memorable. Your review was thorough and highlighted many areas of the resort. I hope that others will find this review helpful and more importantly use it as a tool to get acquainted with our resort. In addition, thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team. Although I do not remember our specific conversation I will tell you that the most gratifying thing for me is when I am talking to guests.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Tom Guay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2014

The Sagamore is a visually attractive and the surrounding scenery is breathtaking. The problem is that everything at the resort is a la carte. The bills add up quickly and the lake activities come at a hefty price. The entertainment at night consists of drinking and more drinking, as there is nothing else to to do. Everything pretty much shuts down around 9pm. A majority of the staff is uninformed and has little or no hospitality skills. Some barely crack a smile. Again, getting out on the lake makes you forget the inadequacies of the resort but it is all concession based and very expensive. Food is quite good at the restaurants but even with a meal plan, the bills come fast and furious. Bottom line is that while you can have a memorable stay for 2-3 days, you could be looking at a trip to Europe for the price.

Room Tip: Best to stay in the hotel itself. The surrounding condos are a bit outdated and a good distance from...
Dear Rob G,

Thank you for your review. I was upset to read hat you felt everything at the resort is a la carte. We do have many guests that are not on a "package" and for those guests all meals are a la carte. However we do have complimentary amenities throughout the week available for our resort guests. From camp fires with s'mores, Morgan sightseeing cruises, history tours, horse and buggy rides and much more . All of which no fee is needed. I was pleased to read that you found the food to be quite good.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Sagamore again.

Scotch Plains
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Just returned from Labor Day weekend at The Sagamore. Paid $1,400.00 per night for a premium condo in lodge #2. These condos are all individually owned and decorated. Our condo had lots of mold in the dining room near the window and carpeting was badly stained. We called and were switched to a nicer, updated unit. However, if it's cleanliness you are seeking, I wouldn't chose a condo. I understand you are in the woods, however, too many cobwebs for my liking. The main hotel was beautiful and was my first choice, but sold out. The grounds are gorgeous and my boys loved the recreation center. If I return, I will stay in the main hotel.

1 Thank Gail131
Dear Gail131,

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you felt the grounds were gorgeous and your boys enjoyed the Rec Center. I was also appreciative of your comments about the lodging. I hope your boys are able to convince you to turn the "If I return" into another stay with us. Thank you again for your review and more importantly staying with us.

Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The spa was over priced and the staff was snotty. Maybe because we were not hotel guests. We had 9:00 am appointments. Doors did not open until 5 minutes before. Our services started late because they were not set up and ready. Tried to sell us every product!!! Services were no better than the lower priced options in and around Glen falls and Queensbury. Also, every year we come by boat...this year, Chic's Marina took over the docks for boat rentals, so you cannot use it for drop off or pick up. They were nasty about it. We had to dock the boat at the public dock in town and walk to and from the spa...not very relaxing on a hot day. The grounds and building are beautiful. Worth a ride to see the sites (though without a wrist band that is limited). Paying for the spa allows you to use the sauna and indoor pool....big deal...blah....this is the last year we will splurge at the Sagamore Spa.

Dear prlywtz_26,

I was disappointed to read that you did not have a good experience visiting us recently. Our Spa Director was very concerned but appreciative for the information. Chic's marina does run the concession down at the waterfront and has done so for many years. Unfortunately we are not set up to allow boats to come to the front docks. I am sorry that the message was not relayed to you in a polite manner and we will address that.

I do appreciate that you came this year and years prior and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back. In addition, I know our Spa Director would love the opportunity to discuss your experience and would welcome a call.

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

This is our third trip this year to the Sagamore and we are staying three nights. Our first evening dinner at the Lake House was a disaster. The hostess was not able to service and seat all the patrons on time and she looked like she was thrown to the lions after we found out it was her second night. She definitely needed help and direction. We ended up sitting at a bar table since she could not figure out how to seat us. Then after ordering a hot dog for my son, it arrived with burnt edges and we had to cut away the burnt parts so my son could eat something while we ordered something different (chicken fingers with way too much batter). At the end of the meal, we noticed the waitress did not remove the hotdog from the check and we asked why not? She said "it looks like he ate it anyway". I've never hear such a thing from a server. I took a picture of the meal just for the record. Well, we have numerous meals to experience and it looks like this will not be one of those Sagamore memorable vacations.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Delmar57
Dear Delmar57,

Thank you for pointing out that on your recent visit to the LakeHouse your dining experience was not up to our standard. I would have preferred your previous posting where you rated our food as favorable. Please know that we value hearing from our guests and I know that our Chef and F&B Director appreciate all the comments.

We look forward to another quick getaway for you and your family and thank you for the posting.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Great long weekend at the Sagamore over July 4th. Beautiful location, a step back in time. Great spot for families due to the rec center, the camp, the pools and lake activities. The fireworks were terrific. Kayaking was awesome. Enjoyed the restaurant on site, as well as the quick walk into town for more choices.

Room Tip: Get a room in a unit with a view of the lake that is near the main hotel pools and restaurants.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrea Z
The_Sagamore_Resort, General Manager at The Sagamore Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Andrea Z,

Thank you for your review. As I write this response we are literally getting ready to watch the Labor Day Fireworks. Each summer season starts with the bang of the July 4th fireworks and ends with the bang of the Labor Day fireworks. For us it has been a great summer. Like your review we hoped that we were able to create positive memories that will last a lifetime. I thank you again for your review and also for the helpful room tip.

Upper Jay, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2014

First, let me preface my review by saying our extended weekend at The Sagamore was one of the most relaxing I have ever spent and I didn't even try the Spa, Fitness Center or Salon and couldn't get reservations on the free tour boat. Those are all things I plan to do the NEXT time I visit...and there will be a next time. The place is breathtakingly beautiful. I literally sat and stared out from the dock, the poolside, the restaurant, the beach and our balcony. I grew up on Lake Champlain, live near Lake Placid and visit Upper Saranac Lakes frequently, but there was something whimsical about the islands, the twinkling lights from across the way and the stars that made the view captivating. People complain Lake George is too busy, but for this secluded woods living girl, I like to see people out enjoying the sunshine and water in our all too brief summer months. We stayed in the Historic Hotel and couldn't have been more pleased with our 2 room suite with 2 double beds and pull out couch which was clean and comfortable and perfect for our family of 4. We had so much fun lolling by the pool, eating the great food and visiting the REC center that we added a night for which they had to move us to the most amazing room I've ever stayed in. Very few of the rooms offer balconies so we felt like we had hit the lottery. We even treated ourselves to room service for breakfast so we could eat while overlooking the lake one last time. Before you go, especially in high season, make your dinner and boat reservations in advance. Also, and this is my ONLY negative, be prepared for some raucous families. Granted we were there during the last hurrah before schools in NY and NJ and possibly MA open, but we were surprised by the uncouth behavior, sloppy dress and general lack of consideration practiced by some of the families staying in what we can only assume were equally expensive digs. I think we will consider visiting again when things are literally quieter pre or post season.

Room Tip: Stay in the Historic Hotel and splurge for lake view.
2 Thank Marie-Anne W
Dear Marie-Anne W,

As a "top Contributor" for trip advisor I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your review was comprehensive and fair and gave us the opportunity to improve. Thank you for writing it and I hope that others who read it will find it informative and helpful.

I was of course also thrilled to read that there will be a "NEXT" time! Truly appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton Landing
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake George
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#22 of 88 in Lake George

Been to The Sagamore Resort? Share your experiences!