“Wonderful Experience”

Hunt Country Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Hunt family has been farming west of Branchport, NY, on Keuka Lake for seven generations and started the winery in 1981. Our 170-acre farm encompasses 43 acres of wine grapes. The varieties under our care include Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Seyval Blanc, and Vignoles. We are the oldest continuous producer of genuine ice wine in the United States. Our wines have been served at the United Nations, ordered by the White House, featured in Food & Wine and on NBC's Today Show. We have nearly eliminated our fossil fuel use for heating, cooling and electricity by installing award-winning geothermal and solar systems. Our goal is to farm and make wine in ways that ensure the health of our land, water, and air for future generations.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I visit the Keuka Lake wineries every year for the past 20 years. We always make a stop at Hunt Country winery. It does not have a restaurant like some of the other Keuka Lake wineries but their wines are excellent and very reasonably priced. The staff is very knowlegable and helpful. The gift shop is a step above the other gift shops in the area and we always seem to find something to bring back home. The tasting charge is subtracted from any purchases. We particularly like the red wines and always take several bottles home to enjoy in the coming weeks. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank Ed V
Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Thanks for your review! It is so satisfying to read your note ... so many years that you've been visiting Keuka Lake! I'm so glad you enjoyed the wines and gifts. Our gift shop manager Tessa will be happy to read your comments. She loves to bring new things into the shop: unique, attractive and humorous gifts items, as well as "locavore" foods. Our guests really enjoy browsing her latest finds! When you next stop in, please ask for Tessa or me. It would be nice to meet you in person.

All reviews
"beautiful winery"
"finger lakes wine"
"finger lakes area"

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Took a last minute trip up to Rochester this past weekend to visit my boyfriend. While up there, I decided we should go on another Finger Lakes wine tour (we went last year to Seneca Lake), but this time on Keuka Lake. This was our first stop.

When we first arrived, we were worried that we were the only ones there, as we didn't see any other cars in the parking lot. However, when we were inside, they didn't make us feel awkward. It's $2 to try 5 wines, and $1 extra to try the ice wine. They give you $1 coupons to use on their wines, so if you buy a bunch of bottles, your tasting is basically comped. They also offer a wine and cheese plate, or a wine and chocolate pairing, however we opted just to try the wines. The staff are so friendly and knowledgeable about their wines. I tried mainly their whites, which were all pretty decent. My boyfriend went for the sweeter ones, including the ice wine, which was delicious. In the middle of our tasting, a bunch of other people showed up, so I guess we just got there early.

The Finger Lakes area is so beautiful and varied. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the Keuka Lake, and of course, Hunt Country. Thanks for coming and for taking the time to review your visit!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Great gift shop & wine tasting area. The wine is excellent and reasonably priced also the staff is competent, friendly & knowledgeable. A not to be missed place to visit in the Finger Lakes area.

Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Thank you for your review ... so glad you enjoyed your visit to Hunt Country! Our tasting room staff -- composed of graduate students, high school teachers, a retired DA, a retired dance teacher, a massage therapist -- are passionate about the Finger Lakes region and about taking good care of our guests! So nice of you to mention their good work. New Jersey is a bit of a trip, but I do hope you can come back before not too long.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Nice wine tasting selections, as well as cheese and chocolate wine pairing tastings available. The tasting charge was subtracted from my purchase. Lots of gadgets and gifts available in the store. Gorgeous setting overlooking vineyards and the lake.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Hunt Country. Thanks for coming all the way from Maryland! I hope you can return to the Finger Lakes before not too long.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I wasn't expecting much from this place, but I was wrong. Some of their wines were standard--good but not spectacular; however, they had a handful that really stand out from the pack, particularly their fortified cream sherry and port (18% and 20% alcohol content, respectively). They have a chocolate and wine pairing for $2 more than the standard $4 tasting (we didn't pay for the standard because of our Passport--see below) which was very good and well worth trying. We didn't tour the facility, but others have said it's a lot of fun.

If you are wine touring, then I recommend you pick up the $12 Passport at one of the winery gift shops. It takes care of the tasting fees for 7 of the main wineries around Keuka for TWO people (although some offer free tastings anyway). It also has discounts to the gift shops, local restaurants, and B&Bs like the Fox Inn where we stayed (see my review).

Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear DoctorRansom,
Thanks for reviewing your visit to Hunt Country ... very much appreciated! I'm so glad you enjoyed the Cream Sherry and Ruby Port, and hope you're able to visit us again before not too long!
-- Jim Alsina