“Best Keuka Lake Winery”

Hunt Country Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Hunt family has been farming west of Branchport, NY, on Keuka Lake for seven generations and started the winery in 1981. Our 170-acre farm encompasses 43 acres of wine grapes. The varieties under our care include Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Seyval Blanc, and Vignoles. We are the oldest continuous producer of genuine ice wine in the United States. Our wines have been served at the United Nations, ordered by the White House, featured in Food & Wine and on NBC's Today Show. We have nearly eliminated our fossil fuel use for heating, cooling and electricity by installing award-winning geothermal and solar systems. Our goal is to farm and make wine in ways that ensure the health of our land, water, and air for future generations.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I visited this winery as part of the Keuka Holidays bus trip a few weeks ago. It was one of the seven I visited that day and it was the best, hands down. Excellent selection of wine and friendly staff that was helpful and knew their wines. One of the girls there helped me with all my tastings and questions and very knowledgeable. I never felt like I was asking stupid questions. I finally found an excellent table wine "Sweet Gus" named in memory of their pet dog and I also tried their famous Ice Wine for an extra $1 and like it so much I actually sprung the $40 for a bottle. They gave out a $1 coupon that day for the tasting that could be used on any wine. The prices on their wines are very reasonable considering the high quality The parking is wide open and flat so our tour bus had no problems parking and no nasty hills to walk to the door. Just a short, easy walk and level ground, handicap friendly also. I live only 3 hours from Keuka Lake and Hunt Country will be a priority on my next return. Please pay them a visit. Nice gift shop to boot!

1  Thank foodfan1960
Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write! I'm so glad you found the staff friendly and helpful and the wines tasty. I don't often think about the convenience of the parking; thanks for pointing it out, much appreciated. I do hope you're able to visit again before not too long, and in the meantime, thanks for the review!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Wines were wonderful, as was the service, the view, and everything else about it!

Paul waited on us. Made us feel important- not rushed at all, and kept us well informed. My favorite winery in all the Finger Lakes!!!

2  Thank gelph94

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit! We're very lucky to have Paul with us. He is a retired district attorney, a fun workmate and a great asset to us. I hope you're able to come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We've gone on many occasions to Hunt Country Vineyards. They are a class organization with class employees. We've been served once or twice by Paul and he has been excellent with his explanations of the wines. The other staff is equally pleasant and friendly. Very outgoing and approachable. The wines themselves are top-notch, among the best around. And the prices are reasonable considering the quality of the wine. We particularly enjoy their late harvest and ice wines--they are clearly among the best anywhere and comparable to some of the Niagara and/or Canadian ice wines in terms of excellence. It is rare when you can go to a tasting and every single wine you taste is very good or excellent. This is the case with Hunt Country and I highly recommend visiting.

1  Thank SailorBoy55
Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thanks so much for coming back again to visit us, and for the kind words about our staff and wines. Paul and the rest of our team really do strive to make our guests' visits enjoyable and informative. Paul himself is a retired district attorney with a passion for helping our guests discover the beauties of the Finger Lakes and our wines. While our wines range widely in dryness and flavor profile, we do particularly enjoy introducing guests to those unusual wines that you mention -- late harvest wines, ice wines and fortified wines. With every vintage, there is a new story to tell! We hope to see you soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We visited several (5) wineries while in the Keuka Lake area and Hunt Country was my husbands favorite. He loved the wines and the surrounding area. I'm so glad we decided to take a drive and stumbled upon this winery. The tastings cost $2. But they then give you $2. In coupons to spend on wine , not to mention a discount if you buy 6 (?) bottles.

Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your trip. I'm so glad you enjoyed the area and your visit to Hunt Country Vineyards. Saugerties is a pretty area, too, but please come back again when your husband's wine supply runs low!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I visit the Keuka Lake wineries every year for the past 20 years. We always make a stop at Hunt Country winery. It does not have a restaurant like some of the other Keuka Lake wineries but their wines are excellent and very reasonably priced. The staff is very knowlegable and helpful. The gift shop is a step above the other gift shops in the area and we always seem to find something to bring back home. The tasting charge is subtracted from any purchases. We particularly like the red wines and always take several bottles home to enjoy in the coming weeks. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank Ed V
Jim A, Manager at Hunt Country Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Thanks for your review! It is so satisfying to read your note ... so many years that you've been visiting Keuka Lake! I'm so glad you enjoyed the wines and gifts. Our gift shop manager Tessa will be happy to read your comments. She loves to bring new things into the shop: unique, attractive and humorous gifts items, as well as "locavore" foods. Our guests really enjoy browsing her latest finds! When you next stop in, please ask for Tessa or me. It would be nice to meet you in person.