“A cut above (for Ossining/Briarcliff!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Haymount House - CLOSED

Haymount House
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hudson at Haymount House features the finest in farm to table dining in a setting of "casual grandeur" as noted by The New York Times in awarding Hudson a "Don't Miss" rating, the highest rating for Westchester restaurants. We are an "a la carte" restaurant providing a relaxed and inviting atmosphere in a beautifully restored, Southern colonial style estate that enjoys breathtaking Hudson River views. Guests can select from our signature cocktail menu of prohibition era and "farm to glass" drinks and dine on everything from light appetizers to the full Hudson farm to table menu - complete with expert wine pairings from our sommelier. Private dining is also available on our second floor.
New York, NY
“A cut above (for Ossining/Briarcliff!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Had a girls' night out here last night and we all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The setting is gorgeous -- supposedly the house was used for exterior shots of Tara in "Gone with the Wind"! We were seated in the corner with a lovely view of the river. We all partook of the Restaurant Week menu with the wine pairings and were perfectly happy. We cleaned our plates and polished off our desserts. Is the service Manhattan calibre? No, but it is friendly and unpretentious. It's hard to walk that line between fancy pants restaurant and neighborhood bistro, and I think the owners are trying to do just that. David, one of the owners, came by and chatted with us. They're trying to build up their bar scene with an extended menu, so perhaps they'll kick the service level of the main dining room up a notch. I will say, I had just eaten lunch at New York's sublime Rouge Tomate the day before, and was absolutely expecting to be disappointed here. I was not, so I think that says something.

• Visited November 2013

Pleasantville, NY
“Simply not good enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had high expectations of Haymount House but left feeling disappointed. The house and dining room are elegant, but the service and overall food quality fall well below what I expect for these prices. The service is friendly but amateurish. I was half way though my appetizer of mussels before anyone thought to bring a spare plate for the shells or a mussel fork. My friend waited a long time just to get silverware. The food was very mixed. The squid appetizer was delicious and tender, but entrees were much less successful. Our duck was served almost cold and my friend's ribeye steak was fatty and stringy.

Expect to pay $75 per person including wine. Expensive for food that is rarely better than average and service that is definitely below average. I won't be going back.

• Visited November 2013
“Not Worth the Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife purchased a groupon for the restaurant before checking here. That being said we were not expecting much but the Groupon was a great deal. We arrived to a beautiful location on top of a residential neighborhood over looking the Hudson. The place was well decorated and we were seated by the window. Beautiful place with beautiful views. We order the chopped salad and they beet salad along with two glasses of wine. The plates came out almost immediately, even before are drinks were served. No big deal the waiter apologized and both dishes were good.
Now is where we take a nosedive we both ordered the steak and vegetable side (a $50 dollar price tag for steak and vegetables) The steak was unevenly cooked, to an extreme, not sure how they even accomplished what was on my plate and cut of meat was absolutely terrible. I have had better steaks at Outback. The vegetables were prepared nicely. The host came over and had a brief conversation and was very pleasant. We did not complain as we knew what we were getting into and the Groupon was a good deal. The check came and was $180.00 for two appetizers, two glasses of wine and two main courses. That in my book is a little steep, consider the meal we received and it was way over priced. That being said what we paid for the Groupon is probably what the meal was worth.

• Visited September 2013
Chappaqua, New York
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We went to Haymount House for the first time and were impressed. The menu was very good and it was difficult to pick which of the many fine dishes to order -- a good "problem" to have. I chose the scallops for my main dish with a pear salad to start. Both were excellent. Very tasty and a good portion size. For dessert, the manager suggested an ice cream dish (homemade) with the most wonderful cherries -- a fine way to end the evening. The only minor complaint is that the service was a bit slow but that was not a big deal. We will definitely be back!

Visited September 2013
“So bad, we couldn't wait to leave”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Beautiful place, we went with a special Groupon offer. Very expensive wine. Slow service. I order salmon, my husband chicken. Fish was good, chicken was almost alive, so rare it was gross. We send it back, waiter came back with the same chicken and apologize. By that time my fish was cold because we waited 20'.
To get the check we waited 20' and trey charged us full price, not groupon discount. We knew something was wrong with everything because all the staff were running up and down all the time. Manager was very stressed. Shame, because is a beautiful place.

• Visited September 2013
dbreschel, Owner at Haymount House, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience and do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We would like to invite you back on us and provide you and your guests with the experience you deserve. We have addressed the issues with our staff and always are striving to provide the best for our guests. Please call our General Manager Jarett Goldberg directly to make your reservation. Thank you for giving Haymount House another opportunity.