“Disappointing”

Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hudson at Haymount House features the finest in farm to table dining in a setting of "casual grandeur" as noted by The New York Times in awarding Hudson a "Don't Miss" rating, the highest rating for Westchester restaurants. We are an "a la carte" restaurant providing a relaxed and inviting atmosphere in a beautifully restored, Southern colonial style estate that enjoys breathtaking Hudson River views. Guests can select from our signature cocktail menu of prohibition era and "farm to glass" drinks and dine on everything from light appetizers to the full Hudson farm to table menu - complete with expert wine pairings from our sommelier. Private dining is also available on our second floor.
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My first clue should have been the ease of getting a reservation at 6:30 on a Saturday night (Valentines Day no less) at the last minute. Drink orders were wrong, food was cold and production quality, facilility was cold. Not much good to say about the experience and it set me back $200+. I'd recommend that the chef and management visit a Peter Kelly restaurant to get an idea of how to run a high end restaurant. The setting and location are so beautiful.....it's a shame the staff and chef doesn't have a clue on how to run a restaurant.

1  Thank Steven W

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I attended a wedding here - as I am not going to critique the food - but rather the establishment and staffing. The bridal room was gorgeous - but the floors so filthy that the whole skirt and train of the wedding dress was dirty and dusty - There was a problem with the brides dress - and no one had a needle or thread - pin = something - How can a place offer themselves as a wedding venue without a wedding director - checking on the bride - making sure all her needs were met. I do not feel this establishment - is worth a good review at this time

1  Thank Mishy119
Reviewed 16 February 2014

There was some light snow the night we went and drove up the circular driveway to the entrance, but alas no valet parking. That's OK, but only reason I thought there was valet service is because there were several employees outside the main entrance, some smoking and there was another car there and they welcomed us in. A wedding happy hour was going on next to our little dining area - very loud crew and only separated partially by a thin curtain. Of the approximately 12 tables in our somewhat stark area, 3 had tablecloths, ours did not. Some had candles, ours did not. We went for the $59 per person valentine's day prix-fixe special and while we liked the menu, that was the only choice, no Ala-carte options at all. We were two couples, the guys ordered 2 Makers Mark bourbon Manhattans up (waiter had no idea what we meant)and 2 glasses of pinot (looked over wine list but no reasonable bottles to be found - Iron Horse Pinot Noir @ $105 per bottle, please). Manhattans came not up, but on the rocks in old fashioned glasses in 10 minutes, wine came 10 minutes later. Lobster bisque was thin - more a lobster consomme and was lukewarm and not much of it. Fig salad had no dressing, and again the apps did not come out together. 3 of us had the duck which was advertised as crisp skin. Not crisp and not served hot either. While it tasted fine, servings were small and were accompanied by a few steamed pieces of brussels sprouts and parsnips. No presentation at all - felt like a cafeteria put it together, or a catering hall at best. Desert was a flour less chocolate cake which again, had all the presentation of a little Debbie snack thrown on a plate, it was more of a good brownie. We Ordered sambucca and espresso and 2 teas. Sambucca came almost right away, 10 minutes later a lukewarm espresso (no crema) and 2 cups of hot water were delivered as two lipton bags were tossed on the table next to the cups.

The food despite mentioned issues was acceptable but the experience does not meet the price point, the billing, the setting of the place. There is potential here but I will not be coming back. I wish I read the numerous accurate reviews on tripadvisor rather than just the NY Times article. The manager needs to better train staff on timeliness and service, the chef needs to monitor the presentation and temperature of the food and the wine list needs help.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Our overall dinning experience was underwhelming. The place is elegant and the view is nice but for the price, the food was average and the service was so-so. The night we were there the entire place was very cold; some folks had heaters next to their tables. No one mentioned anything to us about why it was so cold and there was no effort to make us feel more comfortable. I had to keep my winter jacket on and to make things worst my soup arrived lukewarm. Haymount House won't be in my list of places to go back to anytime soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Had a girls' night out here last night and we all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The setting is gorgeous -- supposedly the house was used for exterior shots of Tara in "Gone with the Wind"! We were seated in the corner with a lovely view of the river. We all partook of the Restaurant Week menu with the wine pairings and were perfectly happy. We cleaned our plates and polished off our desserts. Is the service Manhattan calibre? No, but it is friendly and unpretentious. It's hard to walk that line between fancy pants restaurant and neighborhood bistro, and I think the owners are trying to do just that. David, one of the owners, came by and chatted with us. They're trying to build up their bar scene with an extended menu, so perhaps they'll kick the service level of the main dining room up a notch. I will say, I had just eaten lunch at New York's sublime Rouge Tomate the day before, and was absolutely expecting to be disappointed here. I was not, so I think that says something.