“Weschester's Jewel”

Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hudson at Haymount House features the finest in farm to table dining in a setting of "casual grandeur" as noted by The New York Times in awarding Hudson a "Don't Miss" rating, the highest rating for Westchester restaurants. We are an "a la carte" restaurant providing a relaxed and inviting atmosphere in a beautifully restored, Southern colonial style estate that enjoys breathtaking Hudson River views. Guests can select from our signature cocktail menu of prohibition era and "farm to glass" drinks and dine on everything from light appetizers to the full Hudson farm to table menu - complete with expert wine pairings from our sommelier. Private dining is also available on our second floor.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

What a jewel! This Haymount House restaurant has the most astonishing Hudson views at sunset and the best atmosphere. I was just delighted to have dinner there for the second time at this beautiful and classic restaurant, with its excellently tasty gourmet food and its first-class service.

This place is elegant, sophisticated, with its surroundings of romantic candle lights, a traditional fireplace, and its relaxing music, which enhances conversation rather than otherwise. No wonder at my first dinner there, the Rockefellers were holding a business dinner next to my table.

Most importantly, the food is tasty and is of superior quality, something you cannot easily find everywhere as regards real gourmet cuisine. Also, the price is quite fair for the totality of the experience. When you feel like having a great meal, a good time, and be treated like a celebrity, this is the place to go for an exceptional and memorable dining experience. Looking forward, my cousin's wedding celebration will be held there

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We came for Mother's Day brunch. The place is beautiful, and the decor is nice, though the changing color crystal chandeliers are a bit odd. Brunch was a prix fixe menu of $60 per person without drinks. We had a lovely table with a view of the lawn and the Hudson in the distance. So far, so good. Then it took a very long for our waiter to come and see us about drinks. He took our drink order: a coffee and an espresso, and departed again. Eventually he was back to take our food order. When we ordered we were asked to place our dessert order as well, even though none of the desserts were made to order. This isn't a big thing, but it makes if feel like you're having a meal on a airplane.

Frankly, the food was average or even better than average. My steak was not as rare as I'd have liked it, and the promised chimichurri sauce did not come with the stake, but what killed the experience dead was that the service was extremely slow: a long wait between courses, a long wait for dessert, a long wait for a check, and wait staff who seemed to be keeping their heads down rather than looking around to see if the people at their tables needed anything.

We mentioned this to the manager, David, who told us that getting good help was a real problem in Westchester. He didn't say, he'd speak to the staff; he didn't say they were training new staff; he didn't in any way suggest he was in any way inspired to remedy the situation. He did kindly offer us a drink which was very nice of him.

We had this experience of really slow service at this place at dinner months ago, and we came back hoping it would be better. The place is pretty and convenient to us. Saddly, we won't be back.

2  Thank justjamesny
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Had a groupon and went with a party of four. Facility is lovely. Welcomed by a wonderful person who offered to take our coats, led us to our table and checked back frequently. Ordered three apps, one small plate, four entrees, four desserts. Everything was fantastic. House made buttermilk ricotta crostini with hot pepper jelly, crispy pork belly to die for. The best halibut I ever had. The fig salad was less than expected - I think the diner was expecting fresh figs. The penne with braised lamb needed cheese or some other seasoning according to that diner, but she still ate it all up!!!. Aside from that there wasn't a complaint in the group. The owner came to our table after our meal to thank us for coming in. Piano music was lovely. Waiter was slightly less attentive than the rest of the staff, but the others made up for it.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I tend to think the management has been listening to the to the reviews. Went last night around 7:30. The place was pretty busy, most likely because it was Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. I was anticipating poor service but was pleasantly surprised to see one of the owners paying a lot of attention to what was going on and filling in the gaps when our waiter was busy. While they did bring out the wrong entree for my wife, it was corrected in seconds. They didn't offer pepper with the meal but provided it when asked. My wife got a free limoncello at the end of the meal. Another of the owners came over and had a chat with us at the end of the meal and provided some information on changes they are making for the Spring/Summer. There actually seemed to be a lot of extra help that didn't have defined roles - I'm told there are four owners so maybe they were all there (with spouses) because of restaurant week.

As for the meal, I had a fabulous Octopus salad to start and my wife had a nice winter vegetable salad. My pork chop was cooked nicely - moist with a small bit of currant chutney on top. Spatzel side was unique and the kale was good (although I think this was billed as a medley of several leafy greens). My wife's duck breast was good but she ate it all before I could try! Dessert was okay (pannacotta) - definitely sounded better than it was executed.

Wines by the glass were nicely selected. Good looking bar as well.

Other than the prices of the appetizers ($10 soup - really?), I would say this was what I have come to expect from decent restaurants in Westchester County. It's not in the league of a Xaviers or 42 to the point of other reviewers, but I don;t think that was the design point, and certainly the prices are not comparable to those establishments.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The renovations made to the restaurant resulted in a beautiful setting, and as always the view of the river is excellent. As you drive up, you expect a valet to take your car. It certainly is set up for it. Don't expect it. This is not a complaint. just an observation. The building is magnificent.
Too bad I can't the the same for our meal. We started with the Roasted Heirloom Beet Salad (I honestly didn't know there were heirloom beets...tomatoes, of course). The salad is a little pricey for the size (we shared it), but it was delicious. The beets were al dente, and the whipped goat cheese was light and fresh tasting. We had the Breast of Chicken and the Snake River Farm Pork Chop dishes. The chicken was overcooked and dry. The buttered pasta was penne and I didn't taste any butter. What high end restaurant over-roasts their chicken? The pork chop was tasty, the relish very nice. The spaetzle was excellent. Kudos to whomever in the kitchen prepared it. All of our vegetable were nicely al dente (if you like overcooked mushy vegetables, don't eat here). The line cook doing the veggies got it right. We also had the Brussels Sprouts. Almost too al dente. The chicken dish was really lacking. But such a simple dish shouldn't be. If they can't get the simple dish right...why should I try a hard one?