“Do not go to this park! It is awful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brocton
Lake Erie State Park
A TripAdvisor Member
“Do not go to this park! It is awful!”
Reviewed 24 August 2005

We went with 5 other families to this park in August, 2005. It was absolutely awful.
First, I called the park to inquire about shaded sites. I was given 6 site numbers, which were described as being "partially shaded" and having water and electricity. Only 2 of the sites had any shade whatsoever (the other 4 had saplings no larger than 4 feet), and only one of them had a water hookup. Additionally, one of the 2 large trees on one of our sites was covered in poison ivy! When I pointed this out to the park employee, he admitted that he did not know what poison ivy looks like. So my 7-year old daughter and her 5-year old cousins helpfully pointed it out to him. I think a park employee who is responsible for maintaining a campground should educate himself about something like that, and perhaps invest in a bottle of Roundup to boot.

The beach (if you can call it that) is absolutely revolting, with large rotting fish carcasses strewn all over the place. Lake Erie is filthy and smelly there, although it is clean and clear in other places. The beach was closed on the Saturday we were there because the rain storm the night before had stirred up Lake Erie, so that the bacterial count might have potentially been too high for safe swimming. Although the beach was closed, the lifeguard sat in a chair and read a book for most of the morning. Perhaps her time would have been better spent cleaning up the dead fish on the beach? She and another park employee did make a halfhearted attempt to pick up a few of the carcasses around mid-afternoon, when the sun and the stench of the rotting fish were at their highest. However, after they were finished "cleaning", there were still dead rotted fish all over the place.

The bathrooms were dirty, gross, and without any toilet paper for most of Saturday. One stall in the ladies' room was completely unusable because someone had defecated all over it. It stayed that way the entire weekend we were there. Oh, and did I forget to mention the charming camper who gave her dog a shower in the ladies' shower?

I cannot understand how in the world this park made Camping Life's List of Top 100 Family Campgrounds in the US. I am cancelling my subscription to the magazine because of this, and am also requesting a refund of our camping fees. I would never, ever go back to this campground, and recommend that no one else go there, either.

• Stayed August 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2005

Lake Erie State Park holds years and years of memories for our family. I spent many days there with my mom and dad ,my husband our 3 children and now our 4 grandchildren we always fine something new to do.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brocton
Best Western Dunkirk & Fredonia Inn
Theater Motel
Theater Motel
#1 of 2 in Westfield
Barcelona Lakeside Bed and Breakfast

Been to Lake Erie State Park? Share your experiences!