“Nice resource for locals; not so good for tourists”

New York Botanical Garden
US$35.00*
Bronx Little Italy Culinary Shopping Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Bronx
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Bronx, just 20 minutes from Midtown Manhattan via Metro North Railroad, the 250-acre New York Botanical Garden is a showplace of nature in every season of the year and a must-see destination for NYC visitors. Discover 50 breathtaking gardens, indoor rain forests and deserts, 50 acres of native forest, a river, waterfalls, and rolling green hills. Major seasonal exhibitions and events complement the existing beauty of the permanent gardens, and highlights include the Holiday Train Show (November - January) and The Orchid Show (March - April). NYBG is the perfect excursion for visitors looking to experience the natural beauty of New York City.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I know this place gets a lot of positive reviews, but I was underwhelmed by it. I have visited many botanical gardens in the US and abroad, and this one was just okay. Nothing special. When you factor in the cost and time needed to get there, I don't think it's a good use of time for a tourist, given all of the other options. A long walk in Central Park would be more enjoyable in my opinion. And if the weather is hot, be prepared to sweat - a lot. There is a lot of walking in the hot sun without shade which is ironic since there are so many trees on the grounds.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We made a last minute decision to stop at the NY Botanical Garden and we are so glad that we did. There were 2 special exhibits that we particularly enjoyed: Groundbreakers: Great American Gardens and The Women Who Designed Them and Wild Medicine: Healing Plants Around the World,
We also really enjoyed strolling through the gardens and stopping to read poetry on display by Edna St. Vincent Millay. What a beautiful, peaceful way to spend the afternoon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Born and raised in New York City, I am privileged to have ventured into all the beautiful places the city has to offer. The 'Botanical Gardens' does not aptly describe the beauty, serenity and memorable experience to be had there. Along with the variety of flowers, plants, trees and displays, you can also book a reception there. Some years ago, a group of Rotary's cultural exchange students, from Brazil spent a week in New York....my Rotarian brothers & sisters spent a day at the 'Botanical Gardens with our guests. It was the highlight of their trip......I still enjoy the photos we took. You will be surprised of the treasures allotted in the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I had a lovely day at these gardens. From Manhattan, we took a train from Grand Central to Botanical garden stop and just walked across the street to the garden entrance - it could not have been easier to get there! GET THE FULL GARDEN ACCESS ticket - this will allow you to see the Enid Haupt Greenhouses and they are not to be missed. They contain plants from around the world including Amazonian trees, orchids, ferns, water lilies and even a desert section. Our visit fell on an overcast day w/ occasional drizzle and I think that many flowers are at their best in this type of weather. The peonies and azaleas/ rhododendrons were in bloom and stunning! The café had a good selection and a barista for specialty coffee - a nice spot to rest midwalking. This is a very large garden and easily made a full day trip for us. We will return in other seasons.

1  Thank sam86228
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The azaleas were amazing. I went on a beautiful spring day and took the tram "to get a lay of the land." This is a great idea because I couldn't spend the day. I look forward to going back to see the rest. By chance, we were there on a day with a wine tasting festival, featuring new york wines. Everyone was delightful.
There is a lovely gift shop where my friend bought a most unusual plant.