“Extravagant”
Review of Sheridan Hotel

Sheridan Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The employee zee was very nice he joked around with us and we felt extremely comfortable. The room was clean and tidy the breakfast was descent all types of foods to choose from. And thep rices were cheap and I definately plan to come again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We spent a week here. Check-in was extremely slow but we didn't give up and eventually got to our room. The room was comfortable. The hotel is a budget 2 star so don't expect more. Some of the staff at reception are clueless but none-the-less display confidence in the wrong information provided. Good parking facilities and breakfast although some guests rifled the breakfast facilities to take to their rooms, this was just annoying. The perspex security panel at Reception indicates a risk that we did not, thankfully, encounter. After a week we were happy to leave and will never return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I'd read the reviews and figured... how bad could it be? We are not fancy travelers. We went expecting sort of a "motel 6" expereince. Motel 6 would make this place look like the Waldorf Asotria. It was horrible.

The fact that the check in desk has plexiglass panels protecting the clerks was a little scary. We got our key and quickly went to our room. We should have been warned by the hallway that greeted us as we stepped off the elevator. FILTHY carpeting - -huge, gross stains, dingy wall coverings. We opened the door to the room and thought - - ok, maybe it's ok (bed looked and felt fine) But then I looked at the carpeting. While not as horribly stained as the hall, it clearly had not been vacuumed after the last guest. No closet to hang clothes in, just a cheap kmart pressed wood "wardrobe", with missing doors and no hangers. One of the bedside lamps would not turn on. My husband unplugged it, brought it to the other side of the bed and plugged it in there and it worked, so we decided to place it back where it was and use the long cord to connect to the socket on the other side. Had to pull the bed out a bit to run the cord. OMG - - the grime on top of the baseboard was an inch thick. Every piece of furniture and decor was stained, scratched, broken or worn out in some way. It made us feel grimy. The bathroom was clean, however, or we would not have stayed.

There are not too many hotel choices in the Bronx, and we arrived too late to go out searching for something else. Do yourself a favor and reserve elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank northforker
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I spent the weekend at the Sheridan in the Bronx and it was absolutely lovely. The staff were sincere and polite. My room was clean and warm..I completely love the amenities.. Free toothpaste toothbrush, continential breakfast, coffee cups. Ice..Plenty of towels in the bathroom..The water steaming hot. They call you a cab when you are ready to leave..
Free cable..THE PRICE FOR THESE SERVICES IS WONDERFULLY INSANE....I slept like a newborn baby in their beds...I am going to make it my business to go there again. I was in room 412..

Room Tip: All their rooms are wonderful whether its smoking or non-smoking
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank juanitawebster18
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I don't know where to begin, so I guess I'll start at the beginning which is the pictures online. The bathroom in the room I was eventually moved to was not completely clean. There was dried urine stains around the base of the toilet. The curtains were in poor condition to the point where they were hanging and you could see the safety pin left behind used to keep the curtains closed. There were holes in the bedding, sheets and the throw at the foot of the bed. The handles were missing from the cabinet that held the ironing board and iron. Now let's talk service. My friend and I had requested adjacent rooms, which they couldn't accommodate because it was first come first serve. That's what they told people who either booked rooms close to each other or people who called to check to see if there was room availability. One person was turned away after calling but someone had come in and they sent her packing. The front desk clerk had an issue with issuing extra towels and wash cloths. I had three people in one room and my friend had four in hers and they didn't want to give more other than the two that were already placed in the room. Upon asking to why I was on the third floor and my friend on the second another guest advised me that I didn't want to go upstairs. I later found out that the third and fourth floors had partied all night which explained the smell of marijuana when you hit the stairwells and halls. In the lobby during check in my friend's husband happened to notice a woman come down that was dressed very inappropriately. Apparently, you could see things that should not be seen unless you were only in your under clothes. My friend's television stopped working, it was experiencing a signal loss, for two days. In short I would not recommend this hotel to anyone if my life depended on it. The only saving grace were two lone gentlemen who helped out on the first day and then the other on the second day. One was an older man and the other was younger. Save yourself a head ache and pay an extra $25 to $30 and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel three time whilst visiting relatives in the Bronx area. On all occasions my room was clean and tidy, with a comfortable queen size bed. Housekeeping cleaned it and changed the towels on a daily basis. There was also air conditioning in the room which worked. The breakfast is basic, I mainly had cereal, coffee and a bagel with cheese. They also provided fresh fruit, eggs and sausages (which had to be heated in a microwave). I guess that is the American way. The hotel is a short distant from two subways. The Orange Line and a 5 minute walk from the Red Line (2) at Freeman Street, with about 20-30 min on the train to 34h Street and Times Square. It is also easy to get to from JFK (by taking the airport train to Jamaica Station, then the E line to 42nd, then change to the Red line 2. So well located. The staff were helpful and friendly (even charged my phone for me as I didn't have an adapter). It can be a bit noisy with the locals also taking short vacations; and when the toilet is flushed it's also very noisy! but I could live with that. I stayed for 5 nights - which on reflection was a bit too long at this hotel. However, I would recommend it.. As a lone female traveller, I felt very safe staying at this hotel. Front desk would not send anyone up to your room or give out your room number unless the visitor could tell them which room you were staying in. Which happened a few times when my relatives came to pick me up.

Room Tip: I preferred the rooms on the second floor. Stayed on the first floor once, room was not as nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The customer service we received from Zee, the Front Desk Agent on behalf of Sheridan Hotel, was above and beyond. He ensured we had the accommodations we needed after traveling from the Atlanta area overnight being exhausted from the trip. The hotel we originally tried to reserve was not available anymore and we were referred to this location. We also realized that we needed some additional time in New York. When he realized a need was there for us, Zee assisted us immediately with accommodations to extend our stay. He also provided my family with a competitive price that was affordable. He volunteered to give us directions and provided knowledge of the New York area via GPS to minimize our delays in moving around the city. We are really appreciative of the exceptional customer service we received at the Sheridan Hotel. When we return to New York again, my family wants to stay at your location. Thank you, Zee, with much thanks and gratitude. Ronald Howard

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family