“My health is first” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Bronx
Bronx, New York
“My health is first”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed often because of price but now it isn't worth it. It used to be decent but now they have room service workers who harrass guests to get tips or so they can clean the room and end their day early. They do not know courtesy at all. Constantly banging on doors and talking loudly in the hall like its a hang out. I stayed one night and wasn't even told they were changing carpets on our floor. My husband and son became ill because of this health hazard. They are asthmatic. The price increased but the service has decreased. Maintenance stalk females as they go in and out. Cleaning staff act like they do not know english when confronted with issues with noise. I'm disappointed. This place used to be decent but has became a skanky motel.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank fam1st3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I travelled to the Bronx on business and since I did not know the area, I chose to use Priceline to select a decent hotel. With the Sheridan hotel name, I figured it would be a decent stay. Plus the rating on several sites had it at a solid 3.5 stars. I do NOT understand how that is possible!

First night that I checked in, my non-smoking room smelled like marijuana. There was no clock, no wash cloth, and the coffee pot was dirty. When I say dirty, I mean there were cakes of ground coffee and other debris in the water receptacle. The following day, (and every day for four nights) I had to check back at the front desk just to re activate my door key even though I had the room reserved for 10 days. The service for this menial procedure took them on average, 14 minutes to complete. Other guests were having the same problems as well. There was a rather bold mouse roaming about the lounge as well. Seeing this discouraged me from even venturing to any of the meals they said they had available. Only one side of the visitor parking was cleared of snow. The snowed areas were compacted by cars leaving the premises and eventually became a sheet of ice. The thermostat doesn't work well at all. The refrigerator was horrible. And finally, not once did the wi-fi work while I stayed there and no one was in a hurry to address this issue. Nothing was ever explained or any assurances given that the problem was being addressed. This is by far one of my worst hotel experiences in any city. I don't know how it is even possible that the rating is as much as it shows on the various web sites.

Choose wisely.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Jraijin

Travellers are raving about these Bronx hotels

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Checking in at a place with plexiglass window like at a bank can give you a first bad impression and just gets worse from there. The hallway to the room was so gross, once in the actual room it was so moldy and just horrible. Stain sheets, holes in the covers, bathroom moldy and dirty, floors stained and gross. I go downstairs to tell the man at the front desk I am only staying one night because of conditions and he said no problem. I come back up to the room and my cousins are on the beds because there was a RAT!!! Get our things and tell the man at the front we're not staying and not to be charged. I checked my bank statement and was refunded for my stay. BUT 2 days later I was charged $150 and it showed up as Best Western Hotel in Bronx. Be careful and check your bank statement!!!!! DO NOT STAY !!!!! We also saw 4 hookers come in with "clients" while waiting to leave this garbage dump.

Room Tip: Sleep at the subway station, its cleaner
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kier M
Oil City, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Blood on the door. Mold all over the bathroom walls. Woke up to 3 rats eating my food!! People smoking marijuana in the hotel. The sheridan is posing as a best western but really no affiliation all. To top it off I was charged 250 dollars for a 2 hour stay! This place is disgusting and unethical! Do not stay at this hotel!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Mgeorgeio
Lawrence, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I feel the room was overpriced for the quality I recieved. There was no alarm clock. No hot water in the AM. Basically no items in the vending machine. No towels in room when checked in. Price of room should be $70

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 86Giovanna
Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I had to write this review because -even a year after staying at The Sheridan Hotel- I still have good memories of it, and I wanted to counteract what the other reviewers have been saying. What I find about negative hotel reviews is that they are typically exaggerated and that the problem is mostly the guests and how they expect too much from it, and indeed from life in general.

I am a doctor from Ireland and I completed my doctoral studies in breast cancer. I stayed at The Sheridan because it was in a good intermediate zone between Albert Einstein College of Medicine (East Bronx) and Manhattan. I actually thought that the hotel was better than I had expected and I had no issues whatsoever. The guy at the desk was A.OK - I even arrived there from JFK Airport well after midnight.

I never left valuables in the room, but I wouldn't even do that at a 5-star hotel. How stupid can anyone be to leave valuables like an iPad in any hotel? You're too naive (this directed at one previous reviewer). The breakfast was perfect and the coffee especially was great. Being Irish, I have very white skin and I got some second looks, but I'm an easy going chap and keep to myself - I have no need to be in anyone's face.

I would stay here again if I had to return to The Bronx.

Room Tip: A big tip for any traveler staying anywhere: Get out of your ivory tower some more.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Blighe
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

It was horrible experience. No buffet and rude staff. They didn't clean the room and never make my orders when I ask to bring something. There was a poor and sometimes no internet and when I called to ask about that the front desk operator got upset and yielded at me then eventually hung up on me even though I was polite to him. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone whatsoever. It is a horrible experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple