“Always a Great Time”

and up
Bronx Little Italy Culinary Shopping Tour
Ranked #3 of 67 things to do in Bronx
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest urban zoo in the U.S., with over 6,000 animals within its 265 acres of parks, woods and streams.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've been coming to this zoo since I was a kid, and I love that I can now bring my daughter here. There is so much to see we can't do it all in one day. We enjoyed the new dinosaur safari and I can't wait for the new Children's Zoo to open. The zoo is always clean and the food is pretty good at the main restaurant (although it is not cheap!). Some of the best attractions you do have to pay "extra" for if you buy a basic ticket, but if you choose to just buy the base ticket you can still do plenty and see tons of animals. We did that last year and still had a great time. Now we are members and we all really enjoyed the butterfly area and bug carousel. If you're going to come a few times over the course of a year, the membership is definitely worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,579)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Theres a particular day you go where it is much cheaper than the regular price, check it out. The place is massive and connected by a cute little steam train. Thankfully we brought our own food because what was on offer was the usual fried expensive stuff. Great variety of animals and well laid out.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Tip: Have one person buy the ultimate pass, the $34 pass that will get you into all the special exhibits, and all others in your party just get the regular pas for $16. They don't scan the pass when you go in, they just look at the date on it, so you can go into each exhibit on the same pass one at a time, just pass it to the others in your party when you are done.

Overall a very good zoo. Clean and big. Exhibits are spacious but not overly awesome, but it's nice to see the animals have room to roam even if the exhibits aren't all decked out. Special exhibits are ok at best.....dino attraction is cute for kids, like the animatronics (like rainforest cafe) and is a nice way to take a break from walking, save it for the end of the day. Gorilla habitat didn't really have much, very few on exhibit the day we went.

Nice break from the hustle and bustle of the city, if you like zoos this is a good one to see (especially compared to the dump of a zoo they have in Central Park).

1  Thank bruce p
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The zoo itself was very pleasant, extremely large, and clean. It's very easy to spend the entire day in the zoo. The only thing I would advise visitors AGAINST is buying the $34 ultimate pass ticket. The lady at ticketing lied to us, saying that since it was early spring, most animals were still indoors, and that we had to pay extra to see the indoors exhibit. Well, most animals were viewable with the $16 regular admissions, and if you wish to do the extra things, you can actually upgrade inside the zoo simply by paying the difference. Wish we'd known ahead of time. We only used the ultimate pass on one exhibit! (PS- many many young screaming children inside zoo, which can get a little hectic for the adults visiting without children.)

1  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went There Thursday. APRIL 17 with MY 2 GRAND DAUGHTERS,PAID $93.00 and Most of the exhibits were closed & the 2 that were open were so crowded that you couldn't see anything. The concession stand ran out of ice cream. It was over priced and not worth going to. I wish they would have told me before I parked. I will never go back again!

4  Thank Joan H