“The Orchard Beach”
Review of Pelham Bay Park

Pelham Bay Park
Ranked #14 of 65 things to do in Bronx
More attraction details
Owner description: This city park has a variety of habitats including forests, meadows, mixed scrub, salt marsh and a stretch of saltwater coastline, which makes this an excellent place for hiking, birdwatching and viewing wildlife.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Orchard Beach was our stop before City Island. We went there for the first time and I think the last time. This beach is long, I believe with 8 section. There is a long promenade, a mile walkway, with many food carts and and beer carts. It is a public beach and I guess the whole Bronx goes there. It's very very loud, people go there with their own audio system - huge speakers, the music is super loud, many many kids, so if someone wants to relax on this beach is just impossible. Going there alone I think is not a good idea, your eyes have to be open all the time. We went during the weekend, the parking was $9, during the week is $7. Probably someone who likes loud music, parties will like this beach.

3  Thank Eva B
There are newer reviews for Pelham Bay Park

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I'd been here when passing through to go to City Island. It is listed as NYC's largest park but compared to other city parks, it is located at the fringe of the city at the Northeastern most part of the Bronx on the Westchester border. It contains Orchard Beach, a golf driving range, several bike paths and is proximate to I-95, the Northeast Corridor Amtrak Line, City Island, Co-Op City the Hutchinson River Parkway, and the 6 train. It is easy to access if on the Interstate but not so much from Manhattan by itself. If one is a tourist in NYC, I'd recommend seeing it in a driving capacity after going to City Island for seafood. If one is a resident in NYC, I'd recommend visiting it only after comparing it to the more centralized parks in each borough.

1  Thank conrade886
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We like the bike path here. It is a beautiful ride with some spectacular views. There are many "things to do". You can walk, run, bike,hike, picnic, swim and sunbathe. The beach has life guards in the summer. We paid to park in the lot by the beach because the other free lots were full. It was a sunny Sunday in June so it was crowded. We have been here on weekdays and it is not crowded. I think the fall, winter and spring are really nicer times to visit. If you are a tourist and want to see more than Manhattan, the Bronx and this park are very much worth a visit. Nearby is the fabulous Bronx Zoo and the NY Botanical Gardens. You can travel here by public transportation. For lunch or dinner, I'd recommend eating at nearby City Island or on Arthur Avenue.

2  Thank travelingrm
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It's a toss-up.

I'm nearer Orchard Beach than the nicer Long Island beaches, so I've been here more than a few times. I certainly wouldn't call it clean, but it's okay for a beach fix. If you're just looking to stick your feet in the water and sit on the sand, it's fine for a weekday. Being only a half mile long, Summer weekends are wall-to-wall people.

There is no street parking, so there's an unavoidable parking fee. You can do public transit during the Summer, but the shuttle bus is ghastly. There are restrooms (somewhat icky), and during the Summer season, there is a food and drink stand.

Like Coney Island and other city beaches, you get street storm drain runoff washing up on the beach here, and you're going to find wrappers, twigs, leaves, and general junk washing up on the shore and in the water. If there's been a recent rain storm, I wouldn't go.

With a wide boardwalk, I think of it as a dirtier Coney Island without the carnival rides and amusements.

3  Thank Phill G
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Pelham Bay Park is the biggest park in NYC. The park has something for everyone. It is also accessed easily by public transportation, car, bike, etc. As with some other reviews, the park can become messy in the hotter days due to the pigs who visit the park and leave the garbage around. If you want to avoid the filth. Go to the further end of the park.

1  Thank Eddie S