“Was not worth the $140.00 a night!”

Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Newington, Connecticut
“Was not worth the $140.00 a night!”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Took my kids to the Bronx Zoo and then to NJ the following day so I wanted to stay over. It wasn't easy finding a hotel around the area but this one seemed to be "ok". Parking is not totally secure but I do give it to the hotel as they have security cameras covering the lots and surrounding the hotel.

I did take the advice of people on here and request a room away from the train. Highly recommend that if possible because the train is noisy. When I checked in, I asked if there was any family places to eat with my kids who were standing next to me. Ages 4, 8 & 10. The female behind the glass said there are menus in the drawer labeled menus. She could not recommend any local places for my family. When I opened the drawer I expected to see several menus or selections but there was 4 menus. One pizza place and the others Chinese. Did me no good...

Once in the room, it smelled like smoke...kids picked that up right away. There was the typical hotel book which I thought when I opened it, it would tell me about the area and where to go, what to see. NOPE, nothing...Just info on how to be a rewards member, a letter from the owner and a guest satisfaction survey. TV with satellite was good..Movie channels but no Disney Channel...thought that was weird.

The bathroom was the nicest part of the room. Bed comforter had cigarette holes and stains...Ripped those off right away so we didn't sit on those. I found a hole in my bed sheet which is the pic I uploaded. I'm like really?? A hole in the sheet. The shower head was disgusting. It had so much build up on it just like the tiles in the shower. The hair dryer worked for a minute and then stopped. Tried everything possible to get it going again, but didn't work. The A/C shut off in the middle of the night for some unknown reason. The screen in the window had a hole in it. My son wanted to take a bath and couldn't because the drain stop doesn't work to hold the water!

Now, I've been reading the reviews from others about the breakfast and have seen the manager keep saying its under renovation or some nonsense. Well, if the renovation is done, it's a joke, but if it's in the process, it certainly doesnt look like it. Ok, so now came time for the "complementary" breakfast. HA!! What a joke. There were two cereals. Raisin Brand and Frosted Flakes. We ate breakfast before 8. The frosted flakes were gone so I had to tell the staff to refill. Couldn't find the milk because it wasn't labeled so I had to ask. There were bananas and apples. There was bread, jelly, butter, etc but nothing to TOAST it with. There was coffee. There was a juice machine that was labeled Orange Juice and Apple Juice. My son got the Apple Juice but WATER came out. It was unreal. There were only 3 napkins, nothing more.

This place should be $89.00 a night not, $121.00 and then with tax, etc equals around $140.00.

Find another place...My kids & I were grossed out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the trains.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Todd0237
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Hello Todd0237,
Firstly, I would like to thank you so much for taking out the time from your busy schedule and posting a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I do apologize for my front desk clerk not being helpful enough. We have a variety of family local restaurants. There is I-HOP which is about 10 minutes (walking distance) away from our hotel. Also, we have restaurants like Louis Seafood Restaurant, Pine Restaurant and Pasquale's Rigoletto which are not too far away from our hotel. Also, I apologize for my front desk clerk not confirming the room type at the time of check in. Your reservation was made for a smoking room. If you would prefer a nonsmoking room, you can ask the clerk for the availability and if there is any, we can accommodate you . Request for a tour guide book/packet can be made anytime at the front desk. We usually have it in the folders but sometimes, the previous guest takes it along with them. You can always call the front desk and inform them about any issues you have with the room. They will do their best to help resolve any issues you have whether it is regarding the cleanliness of the room or if something does not work, they will send someone to help out right away. The breakfast area is actually under construction still. It is not complete yet. The new breakfast area will not be in the lobby/street level, it will be on the first floor. I am very sorry about our breakfast. We usually have it replenished every 15-30 minutes. I would like to mention to you that in our new breakfast area, we are going to be adding more items to the breakfast menu and the area will be a lot bigger. Again, I am deeply apologetic for what you have been through. Here, at Howard Johnson, we strive to do better day by day and we try to make our guests’ stay a home away from home. I am very sorry for all the inconveniences you have faced during your stay. This will not happen in the future. I really do hope you come to stay with us again. Please, feel free to reach me out for future travel assistance at (718) 589-2222 and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bronx
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I liked the hotel it was nice rooms were clean staff friendly and helpful only con would be the train passing by every two minutes if ur not a heavy sleeper this hotel is not for you but overall a good hotel

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Cemal A
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you, Cemal, for sharing your recent experience with us. It is because of guests like you, our hotel is ranked #1 in the Bronx. We strive to make our guests’ stay a home away from home and a very enjoyable one. I am sorry about the train noise issue. I would like to let you know that you can request a room away from the train at the time of check in. If it is available, we can most certainly accommodate you. We will continue to deliver great customer service and we will happily welcome another swell opportunity to serve you again.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Hotel located in front of the subway bridge. The rooms are incredibly noisy.
For $136, I had a room with the stained underwear of the previous client hanging in the bathroom (along with the rests of his tea). Photos attached.
Breakfast: NOTHING to put on the bread except butter. No jellies, no muffins. I ate a couple of slices of plain bread and had to ask for coffee and milk. Instead of orange juice the machine gave water.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PF F
Hello PF,
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking out the time from your busy schedule and posting a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to add that I am very sorry for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. I can assure you that it will not happen again. The next time you come to stay with us, you can request a room away from the train. If there are any available, we can accommodate you. I would like to let you know that currently, we have a new breakfast area under construction. Also, we will be adding new items to the breakfast menu. Again, I would like to deeply extend my apologies for what you have been through. Feel free to reach me out for future travel assistance at (718) 589-2222 and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Travellers are raving about these Bronx hotels

New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The room is very clean and surprisingly very big for New York. Check in was painless and the counter staff is very efficient and friendly. We are very satisfied with our eight nights stay in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sin Yeng W
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Hello Sin,
Thank you for writing your review and it's so wonderful to hear how great your experience was with us at Howard Johnson Express Inn during your recent stay.I am very thrilled to know that you were satisfied with our services. We strive to make sure that our guests have a pleasant stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for those wonderful ratings as well. Please do visit us again in the near future.
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We just got back from a trip to New York City. For two nights we stayed in a pricey Manhattan hotel, and then we moved to the Howard Johnson in the Bronx for five more nights at a much lower price. Honestly, the Howard Johnson experience was better overall than the Manhattan hotel. The TV has DISH Network with a huge array of channels. The room was clean and comfortable, with a small fridge and microwave. There's a supermarket nearby, and preparing one's own meals is a big money-saver. The Howard Johnson, unlike our fancy Manhattan hotel, offers a free continental breakfast (cereal, bread & butter, fruit juice). The Howard Johnson, unlike our Manhattan hotel, has free wi-fi. All the members of the staff were courteous and helpful (especially the night manager, Moe). This is not a palace, but it's certainly not a dump. Both bus and train access are nearby, and it's easy to go into Manhattan. The incredible Bronx Zoo is a short walking distance, and the New York Botanical Garden is a somewhat longer walk. Unless you are rich, why spend money on a fancy-schmancy hotel room when all you really need is a comfortable bed, a clean bathroom with hots of hot water, and an air-conditioned room? The only drawback I can see to the Howard Johnson in this location is that the rooms on one side are very close to the train, and I would expect that there's a lot of train noise there. We were fortunate enough to be on the side farthest from the train, and we barely heard it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not near the train tracks. Stairs are rather steep, and there is no elevat...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeanj674
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Jean, thank you so much for taking out the time and posting a review of your recent stay with us. Our reasonable rates is one of the many reason why we are chosen by our valuable guests. We have many stores near our hotel such as the supermarket, pharmacy, a couple of convenience stores. Also, to add on, we have a beauty salon and laundromat near our hotel as well. We have a new breakfast area that is currently under construction and we will be adding more items to the breakfast menu pretty soon. We have easy access to public transportation. There are a couple of bus stops nearby and also, there is a train station near our hotel as well where the guests can catch the 2 and 5 train. When a guest checks in, they can always request a room away from the train station and if we have nay available, we will be more than happy to accommodate them. I am very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for those wonderful ratings. Please do visit us again on your next visit to New York. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.