“Convenient”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Bronx
BARTOW
“Convenient”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Staff was very nice; location for our purpose was wonderful...a wedding in the Bronx, and easy access to train into Manhattan. Room was adequate. TV never worked; we were there for three nights. We reported it, but it never got fixed.

Room Tip: We were on the back side and did not hear the train; our daughter and her friend were on the front...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you Joan W, for sharing your recent experience with us. We are conveniently located near many forms of public transportation. You can easily catch the cab from our location as well. Train 2 and 5 take you various places in the city. There is also easy access to a few bus that take you to other boroughs as well. About the wedding you mentioned earlier, I hope you enjoyed it. I am extremely sorry for the TV inconvenience. It will not happen again. Just for future reference, you can call up the hotel and request a room away from the train or you can request it at the time of check in. If there is anything available, we will be more than happy to accomodate you. Please do stay with us again on your next visit to New York.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hampton
Reviewed 2 October 2013

If you need a place to stay while in the Bronx, this place will suffice for one night primarily because there are not many choices. The room was clean, but the sheets had some stains on them. The free breakfast consisted of just cereal, juice and bread (no toaster!), so plan on having breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Hello carpediemman,
I would like to thank you for taking out the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. Our housekeepers do their best to keep all the rooms in a good condition. Any time you are not satisfied with the cleanliness in your room, you can contact the front desk and and they will send someone to help out as soon as possible. Again, I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience. We are currently working on improving our breakfast area. It will be in a much spacious area and more items will be added to the menu, however it is under construction as of now. Please feel free to reach me out for future travel assistance at (718) 589-2222 and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Travellers are raving about these Bronx hotels

Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 26 September 2013

First off, I had to pay DOUBLE because according to their registry I hadn't payed before.
I showed the clerk (the guy in the night shift, can't remember his name) the confirmation email where it said: "remaining fee: none", and he didn't care a bit.
I'm still struggling with the refund. The guy in the counter was very very RUDE once I told him that I had payed already, immediately went into defensive mode and even suggested that I had a counterfeit credit card.

Second: We were received by a live cockroach in our room !!!...

Third: The TV wasn't working , and even though I asked 3 time for someone to fix it, only once they went into the room just to "push the on button" in the remote, and NEVER CAME BACK.

Overall experience... TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

If I new I was going to pay double, I would have stayed in a hotel in Manhattan.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SerchMX
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had a great time. If you don't want to be disappointed, ask questions. I read many reviews about this place and I had some concerns. I called the hotel and spoke to the manager; he could not have been more helpful. Answered all my questions about parking, safety, location. Made me feel comfortable about staying there. We paid less than $100/nt (before tax) for four nights and it was fine. I had two teenagers looking at colleges and we had a great time. The neighborhood is fine, never felt threatened. It's an urban neighborhood, what do you expect? Polo ponies and green expanses? No gunshots, no gangs, just people living their daily lives. We walked to Domino's, McDonalds, the Chinese takeout place and IHOP w/ no concerns. Parking lots (2) are camera-monitored. Knew train noise was an issue from other reviews, so I requested a room away from the tracks. Limited number of dbl/dbl non-smoking rooms available, but staff cleaned room and sprayed deodorizer before we checked in, so it was fine. Room was clean. Teens had cable and free wifi, so they were happy. Room had a fridge and microwave. A/C worked great. Only "complaint" was the breakfast: bare minimum. Bread but no toaster or spreads when we were there. Coffee, weak juice, some fruit. Big opportunity for upgrade here. Staff was great, especially Mashi (spelling?) at the front desk. She was always friendly and helpful. Her smile lights up the room. Gave us subway advice, gave us specific directions to our destination --- train numbers, transfer stops, etc. -- whenever asked. She would print them out or hand-write them so we could take with. Told us about restaurants we could walk to. Hotel is 1.5 blks from West Farm subway (train) station, so easy to access Manhattan. Hotel Manager Mobi was great. He cares about his hotels and was helpful before and during our stay. You want Park Avenue? Pay $500 a night. You want clean rooms, convenient location, nice staff at budget price? Stay here. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Request room away from trains. Ask about no smoking rooms before you arrive. Ask about rooms with...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Mark, I would like to thank you for taking out the time from your busy schedule and posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad that I was able to help you out with the questions and concerns you had about the hotel. Our front office staff does their best to help out our guests whether it is over the phone or if the guest is present in person. You can always call up the front office and ask the front desk staff any questions you have about our hotel. They will be more than happy to assist you. The hotel is located in a pretty safe area, and it is busy too. We are located near the Bronx Zoo and we’re about 3 miles away from the New York Botanical Garden and about 4 miles away from the Yankee Stadium. There are various forms of public transportation as well, such as the number 2 and 5 trains as well as the Q44, BX42, and BX36 bus. We love accommodate our guests. If our guest ever have any special request that needs to be taken care of, we try our best to help them out. As of now, our breakfast area is under construction but pretty soon, more items will be added to the breakfast menu and it will be in a much spacious area. My dedicated team work hard everyday for our guests to enjoy their stay and make them feel home away from home. It gives me a wonderful feeling to see our efforts are being recognized from our guests. I would also like to thank you for those kind words you mentioned about me, it means a lot. Please do come to stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed 9 nights and it was very convenient, we had the train station 2 blocks away so it's very easy to go to manhattan, also there are several restaurants around the area and a supermarket, the room was vey comfortable with cable tv, microwave, a/c and fridge, one of the things I liked the most was the very fast and stable Internet service they have for free. The only thing I didn't like was the breakfast, they jus had bread, cereal, juice and coffee and only 2 tables (breakfast are too small), also we didnt like the area due to the kind of people that is around (solicitors, drug addicts, etc) but we did not have any issues or problems with that at all, you can see the nypd passing around very frequently so that made us feel a little more safe. Overall is a very good option for NY tourists like us with a low budget.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much, Mauricio, for your wonderful review. We are very thrilled to know that you have enjoyed your time at our hotel. Our team works hard everyday for our guests to experience the very best and feel home away from home. Our hotel is located in a very convenient area where there are many stores and restaurants nearby. We are working on expanding the breakfast area and adding more items to the menu. Since we have a couple of schools nearby, the police officers pass around the block to make sure things are okay. The neighborhood is pretty lively especially because of The Bronx Zoo which is merely about 4 blocks away. It is always a satisfying feeling when we get to know guests have had a good stay with us. We always strive to do better day by day and make sure our guests receive the best service that we can give. Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to other New York tourists. Please do stay with us on your next visit to New York.