“ank you, Management!”

Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I planned on staying the weekend in celebration of our anniversary and return from tour of duty. We checked into room 310. After falling asleep we both kept waking up due to discomfort. Didn't really sleep much. At 8am he found bed bugs under his pillow!!!!! I quickly called the front desk and made them aware. The attendent rudely dismissed my claim by saying that it was winter bugs. After inspecting the bed we found 6 bugs. Horrible experience. I have to add that the only nice person was the front desk attendant Linda I believe. The manager was extremely rude to me also when I expressed my feelings and how I feel the issue should be resolved.
What we planned to be a relaxing weekend turned out to be a nightmare. Literally.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank armygirlbx
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Armygirlbx, I would like to thank you so much for taking out the time from your busy schedule and writing a review about your recent stay with us. First of all, I apologize for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. My housekeepers do the best in their ability to clean the rooms extra good so that our guests do not face any inconvenience. We strive each to give our guests a home away from home feeling. Also, we try our best to accommodate our guests with any special request(s) that they have. Again, I am very sorry for what you have been through. I apologize that we were not meeting your expectations. I can assure you that it will not happen again.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel is really clean, the rooms are big and confortable. Also it has a heat on your room which you can change the temperature. The bathroom was pretty new. The hotel is like one block from the MTA station (train) and you can go in like 20m to downtown Manhattan. The Price is really good. I have a room in the first floor where i didn´t heard any noice for the train. Also you have a lot of buses that you can take to go to other places. The people on the front desk are really nice.
The breakfast is alright is not the best but you have a lot.
I´ll recommend and i´ll go next year again.

Room Tip: Probably the rooms on the first floor are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you, Erika, for writing a review of your recent experience with us. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our hotel and the guest services. I am sure every future guest reading this will find it very helpful. I am so thrilled that you had enjoyed your stay. If it was not for guests like you, our hotel would not be among the top 9 hotels in the Bronx. The train station is nearby our hotel as well as other modes of transportation. The travel time to go to the city by public transportation is 30-40 minutes depending on the destination. Thank you for those kind words about my front desk staff, it means a lot. We have our new breakfast area opened up. I am really sorry that it did not please you as much. I hope the next time you come to visit, you will enjoy our breakfast as well. Thank you so much for recommending us as well as giving us those awesome ratings. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Unless you are desperate in NYC, don't stay here. I had never stayed at a Howard Jhonson before. This place is horrible, just horrible. For starters, is next to the train station, like a few feet away from it. The train is very noisy and the hotel shakes when the train goes by. The area of the Bronx where it is located is horrible. A bit dangerous. There are shady characters walking around because the area is dark and gloomy. The hotel itself is not very clean. Rooms are small. Like I said? Unless you have to, don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank joelgomez

Mr. Gomez, firstly, I would like to thank you for taking out the time from your busy schedule and posting a review of your recent stay with us. We are conveniently located near the train station where you can catch train 2 or 5. If your room is on the train side, you can always request a room away from the train at the front desk. If there is any rooms available on the opposite side, my front desk staff would be more than happy to accommodate our lovely guests. This can also be done before your check in date. You can call up the hotel and specially request a room on the other side of the train. My front desk staff will take a note of it and if anything is available, they can be able to accommodate your request. The hotel is located in a pretty safe neighborhood. We have a couple of public schools nearby so there is police cars passing by to make sure everything is going good. Also, since we have a variety of public transportation, the neighborhood is more busier than the other places in the Bronx. Mr. Gomez, I am extremely sorry to hear about the inconvenience you've faced here. Please feel free to reach me at (718) 589-2222 for future travel assistance and I will be more than happy to help you.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I chose Howard Jonson because of the price. The promotion for three nights enticed me. From the outside the hotel looks decent on the picture. The rooms are old, and have a strange smell to them, despite the fact that they "clean" it. I had to request a second set of sheets for the bed, and slept in my clothes. The water in bathroom was not working during the peak hours because of the poor pressure in the building. I could not take a shower as a result, and barely brushed my teeth. I could not even flush the toilet. My frustration peaked when they did not order the taxi for me, even though I requested one the night before. After fighting to find a taxi, I was late 30 minutes for my meeting. As a result I was late for the important meeting for 30 minutes. I cancelled my reservation after the first night.

1  Thank Tanya D

Hello Tanya, thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am extremely sorry for the trouble you have faced during your stay. Our hotel is currently undergoing some renovation. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms. My housekeeping staff does a great job in keeping the rooms clean. Tanya, I am really sorry for the complaint you have about the room cleanliness. I can assure you, it will not happen again. Also, I deeply apologize for the experience you had with the taxi. Usually during the morning time, it is a little but difficult to get a taxi because it is rush hour. Most of the taxi services accept cash. Rarely, they accept credit/debit cards. We have a couple of taxi services nearby our hotel and they take about 3-5 minutes to arrive. Once again, Tanya, I extend my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you faced during your stay. Feel free to reach me to reach me out for future travel assistance. You can reach me at (718) 589-2222 and I will be more than happy to help out.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is Ellen and Jose,; We have found the room spacious and clean.
Mashi gave us , excellent support about directions, places, etc;

We are very satisfied , we will not hesitate to go again next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jose V
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Jose, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We take great pride in the service that we provide for our delightful guests. Our number one priority is to make our guests happy and to give them a home away from home experience. My front desk staff do the best in their ability to make that happen . It is always very exciting to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay and are satisfied with the services that they received. Thank you so much for those wonderful ratings. Please do stay with us on your next trip to New York.