“Horrible”

Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the most disgusting hotel I have ever been in. The first room we checked into had a cockroach in the bathroom. We were switched to another room and they wouldn't refund our money. The wifi doesn't work. There are cigarette butt holes in the sheets and the comforter is a thin blanket. It is very loud with a train over the building. Don't EVER come here. Worst experience of my life. If you want a good hotel you are going to have to spend some money.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Rachel C
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hello Rachel, thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay here. It is not likely for our rooms to be in the condition in which you had probably seen. My deepest apologies. About the train noise, you can always request a room on the opposite side. If there is any rooms available, my front desk staff would always accommodate our guest. I am extremely sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. I hope you change your mind and stay again with us next time. It is very unfortunate that this experience of yours was not as good as you were expecting it to be. I apologize once again. If you do change your mind and decide to give us another chance, please feel free to reach me at (718) 589-2222 for future travel assistance and I will be more than happy to help you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

With a wealth of choices, hard to know which property to pick. Reasonable price (for the area), nice rooms, adequate breakfast, free parking, and one block from the subway. The only downside, and it's a big one, is that the internet is inaccessible. You can see it, you just cannot log in. Makes planning a pain.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carney G
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Carney, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking out the time from your busy schedule and writing a review of your recent stay with us. Thank you for pointing out what a great location we are in the Bronx area. I am thrilled to know that the amenities and location made you feel welcome and your stay was that much enjoyable. Our hotel is mostly known for the reasonable price; and also we are conveniently located in an area where there is an easy access to public transportation. Although, I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had faced with our wifi connection. Our wifi connection is pretty strong. If for some reason, any devices are not able to connect to the internet, my front desk staff are trained to handle the issue. I am extremely sorry for that. I can assure you that in your next visit, you will not face any internet connection problem. Thank you once again for the wonderful review. Please do stay with us on your next trip to NYC. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This HoJo is right next to the train, so it's a breeze to take the 2 into the City. My room was renovated fairly recently and it was adequate. Bathroom was clean and stocked. Bed firm and comfy. Carpet needs to be replaced. All in all it was a decent stay in a pretty rough part of the Bronx. If I had to do anything in that part of the Bronx again, I'd stay again...price was right.
Front desk girl was awesome and attentive to our needs.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank John P
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hello Mr. John. Thank you so much for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us. It is very exciting for me to know you have enjoyed your stay. Every little compliment mean a lot to us. Our convenient location near the subway station makes it easier for our guests to get to any borough in New York City. We have recently renovated the rooms with new curtains and installed a flat screen in most of the rooms. Our goal is to give all of our guests a home away from home feeling. I am very happy to know that you liked the services of my staff. I very much appreciate your time and we look forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Reviewed 3 June 2014

A friend made reservations for us for 2 nights . Traveling for 8 hrs... With our early check-in time of 4am, I was expecting to pay the $10 per hour for our reserved room. NOT the case! Was given a trashy room that looked as if it were pay-by-hour!!! Paid $89 for this "hole in the wall" room. NO HOT WATER. Toilet would NOT flush. Smelled like crap. Dirtiest room I've ever seen. I've been camping and never have I slept in such deplorable conditions!!! Reeked of Marijuana in hallway outside door. TV was on prior to our entrance...only channel you get is CMT!!! Checked out of the piece of crap by 9am and our friend was refunded his reservation payment. They had no intention of giving us a "better" room!!! If, they had them!!!

Room Tip: Go to Sheridan Hotel near Bronx Expressway
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy342
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Tammy342, I appreciate you taking out the time from your busy schedule and writing a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am extremely sorry that you received a poor level of service and that we did not meet your expectations. Probably, you had stayed here when we were having an issue with our boilers which is why you were not getting hot water. I sincerely apologize for what you have been through. Also, I am very sorry for of the lack of service you received from my front desk staff. It’s not likely for this to happen. We take all reviews very seriously whether it is positive or negative. Your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please do give us another chance to serve you better. Please feel free to reach me at (718) 589-2222 for future travel assistance and I will be more than happy to help you.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

no hot water for almost 4 hours, keep calling the front desk and they did not an answer or even apologize for all the inconvenience. a lot of noise, because is located in front of the subway, the rugs are filty, pillows not good quality, and the receptionist are not friendly at all.NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank pastora r
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Hello Pastora R.
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel. I really apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay. It is extremely disheartening to know that we did not meet your expectations. I would like to let you know that if your room is facing the train, you can always request a room facing the opposite side. If there is any availability, we are more than happy to accommodate your request. I do apologize for my front desk clerks not providing you exceptional service. We work diligently to ensure our facility is well maintained and we try our level best to make our guests stay a pleasant one. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to provide you with better service on your next trip to New York City. Please feel free to reach me at (718) 589-2222 for future travel assistance and I will be more than happy to help you.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were worried about the location of this hotel as it is right next to the subway, which is the reason we chose this hotel too. We got a room on the back side of the hotel though and could not hear any trains, but did hear airplanes taking off one day when there were lots of clouds. Had some trouble with the wireless, but finally got it working. The staff was nice, but not overly helpful. We asked for no room service during our week stay, but was ignored - twice we had to get new room keys because the maid cancelled ours out. Continental breakfast was good, room was nice and hotel was overall clean though needing some updates. There is no elevator, so try to get a room on the lower or street level (floor one access in back, floor 2 at street level). The on premises parking is great - get one behind the hotel instead of on the side. The neighborhood wasn't bad and the two block walk to the subway was awesome and I always felt safe even at night. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose something on the back side for quiet and one on the lower level if you have a lot of luggage...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michelle H
M0biA, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Michelle, thank you so much for taking out the time from your busy schedule and posting a review of your recent experience with us. We take great pride in the service that we provide for our delightful guests. Our number one priority is to make our guests happy and their stay a pleasant one. The train noise is not heard from the rooms facing the back so if you’re here for a longer period, you can always request at the front desk and if it is available, then surely, we can accommodate your request. There was some connection problem going on with our wifi but we had a technician come in and fix it so it’s fixed for good. I’m extremely sorry to hear that my staff was not helpful enough. If your room key is next to anything magnetic, for example, your credit/debit card or cell phone, it will deactivate. It’s better to keep it separate. We have two parking lots and both of them are under 24 hour surveillance. Since we have schools nearby, and also various public transportation, there are police cars that go through the area to make sure everything is going fine. Thank you so much for your kind words and we do look forward to welcoming you again.