“Giant portions!!”

Ranked #113 of 1,216 Restaurants in Bronx
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: T was in 1966 that the Sammys's Fishbox story began; From our very humbe beginnings in 1966 we have grown from a 26 seat snack bar to a 500 seats, full service restaurant; preparing upwards of 1 million meals annually. Our phenomenal growth has been most gratifying to us. Since the beginning we believe some things are as true today as they were years ago; quality attracts customers, value earns respectand compromise in either is inappropriate. Our formula is very simple; we serve the best quality food prepared fresh daily in a uncompromising manner and served in generous portions at affordable prices. We at Sammy's wish to thank our customers for your loyalty in the past and we promise to earn more of that loyalty in the future. Sincerely, Sammy
Cranford, NJ
“Giant portions!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

It wasn't easy driving here on a Sunday afternoon from New Jersey. We met some friends for dinner. The bread and corn muffin they put on the table was fresh and tasty. We ordered the calamari in a sweet red sauce and received the calamari in a spicy red sauce by accident. We didn't know until we started eating it. I like a little heat but this was inferno heat. We should have sent it back. Salads came with the main course and they were ok, just basic.

Our waitress brought out the appetizer and salad at the same time which we preferred didn't happen. I ordered the Pasta De Mar which came with Lobster, mussels, and clams. I asked to substitute shrimp for the mussels and they said no. Tney told me it would be $2.50 extra for each shrimp. So they were going to take away the mussels and charge the same price for the dish but add $2.50 for each shrimp? The waitress didn't bring out a seperate plate for all the shells in my meal nor did she bring out a nutcracker to help crack the lobster. My wife had the crabcakes which she enjoyed.

For dessert I had the carrot cake and coffee. The coffee was very tasty. The carrot cake was maybe a couple days old and not fresh. The cream cheese icing tasted funny. Overall, the portions were huge, fresh, and tasty. This place is expensive but you'll have enought for a few meals afterwards.

The service was friendly but overall very spotty which brought down the overall rating.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Melonie S

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Top notch service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I ate at this restaurant on holiday weekend, 27 May, with my partner & two friends on a wonderful warm spring evening. This was my last full day in NYC before returning to Europe. Formidable fin du parcours !
Despite being very busy, we were all seated together within 5 minutes of arrival. The menu is vast, requiring quite a bit of reading for the first time diner. Perhaps I should have perused the menu, available on-line, before my visit. Our orders were taken promptly, with everything being explained to us - maybe too much information to take in. Apparently, the servers love to share their seafood knowledge with diners, I think it adds to the occasion.
The meal & side dishes all came at once, completely filling the table - what a spread ! Everyone agreed that the fish dishes they ate were delicious; especially the crab, a house speciality. The portions are large, so come hungry to do yourself justice ! Our server returned several times to ensure that everything was to our satisfaction & we were given extra salad/bread etc. She even filled two containers with salad & rice for us to take home afterwards.
The atmosphere in the restaurant is relaxed with many young families, couples & older folk all mingling together. I really enjoyed the experience & would certainly return again when in NYC. I would recommend this restaurant to others.
The only minor gripe I have with Sammy's is that it is a little expensive for a family orientated restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Henry C
New York City, New York
“OMG....Can't wait to come back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is my first time at Sammy's and we were so happy with the food and service that we are already planning a return visit soon. The portions are large and you can share your selection with someone else. The baked clams and fried calamari were delicious. The steamed lobster was to die for along with the jumbo fried shimps. You definitely get your money's worth.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank scorpianeem
New York, New York, United States
“Love, love, love!!,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food and service is great. I always order the fisherman's platter. You get a lot of food for a great price. You can never go wrong,,

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sharon J
Staten Island, New York
“delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Bring your appetite!! Went back after a few years remembering how good it was....forgot how large the portions are....every meal can feed 2 or more. But no worries you get a large tray to cart home the goods. Now only thing is if you need a reservation call them yourself do not make it on their website..this frazzled the hostess which prompted her to speak about 1/2 our party while still in ear shot. That being said it was worth the 2 hours it took us to get there.

• Visited April 2014