“A True Gem in The Bronx”
Review of Opera House Hotel

Opera House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I recently spent an evening at The Opera House Hotel when I had business in the Bronx. I was concerned about finding a nice place to stay in the Bronx. Typically, I have business and work in Manhattan. All of the places in the Bronx appeared to be motels, and less than desirable lodging. But then I found this hotel on TripAdvisor, and all of the other reviewers could not have been more accurate: The hotel is beautiful, the rooms and clean and well appointed and a nice size by NYC standards. The continental breakfast (included) was fantastic with even their own machine for making latte, cappuccino, etc. The staff were phenomenal--super-friendly, helpful--they really went out of their way to make you feel welcome as a guest. In particular, my interactions with Duke were top-notch. And the price was right, too. $120 for a nice King Bed Room.

For those concerned about the neighborhood, I will tell you that I had no problems whatsoever. Duke referred me to a fantastic and authentic Mexican restaurant which is right next door (try the Agua Fresca--it's to die for). Though I did not do much walking around, I would have gladly taken the subway (a little over a block from the hotel) into Manhattan. Thank you Opera House--I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank andtherest

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel is great, beautiful, quiet and very good value for money. Even with a queen-size bed the room was spacious and had all the necessities a young couple like us would require. Although not to varied, the breakfast was more than adequate. The Bronx is improving and the hotel is 2 minutes away from two main express metro lines to downtown Manhattan.

And all this isn't even the best part of the hotel.
What set this hotel apart was it's helpful and friendly staff. From the first day until the last, they always greeted us with a smile. They were also more than helpful when I had an issue with my credit card. Helping me resolve it quickly.

Andrew and the rest of the staff have made it an unforgettable stay at the Opera House Hotel. We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

When I found out that one of my musical idols (Alison Moyet) was making a rare concert appearance in Manhattan, I bought my ticket and then set about finding a hotel. Since fall rates are often obscene, that could be quite the task. However, when this hotel showed up on a Kayak search and I researched it further through the website and reviews here, I was mighty impressed.
$90 a night in November? Sign me up!

While it's true I've never stayed this far north and the neighborhood is a mix of check cashing places and discount stores, the hotel makes the logistics easy as it's about a block and a half from the 2 and 5 subways lines that got me into midtown and lower Manhattan in 30 to 40 minutes.

The hotel itself is gorgeous and like the Herald Square and its past life as the Life Magazine building, the Opera House celebrates its history as a famous vaudeville theatre with framed art throughout. My superior king room was huge, with high ceilings, a big bathroom and an amazing shower. The mezzanine level breakfast bar was stocked with fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, coffee and various muffins and pastries...and even hard boiled eggs.

Only minor quibble is that the heating/air conditioning is loud when it comes on...it woke me up once during the night.

The staff was terrific and most of the my dealings were with Akbar, who was very welcoming and good-humored.

As long as the prices stay reasonable, I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jas044
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful! A great staff most kind and attentive. Our expectations were exceeded! There is a great authentic mexican restaurant next door that was delicious. The Opera House will forever be my hotel of choice when visiting NY!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights 11/9-11/10. Great room-large-2 queens- very comfy beds-quiet. Beautiful huge bathroom. Staff was VERY helpful, friendly, professional. We were lucky enough to get parking space at the hotel- a nice extra!. Subway close by- used it many times back and forth to manhattan. Only problem- 1st night coming from manhattan- mistakenly got off 1 stop too soon at 149th grand concourse instead of 149th and 3rd- you do not want to make that mistake. Found police that got us on a bus and safe trip to the hotel. Otherwise- great weekend. So glad we found the Opera house Hotel.

Room Tip: Queen deluxe was very large-stayed in rear of hotel-very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank foxette44
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful, quiet, reasonably priced and is a ~3 minute walk from the 2/5 trains, so it's very convenient. You can be in downtown Manhattan or up to Montefiore/Einstein in 20-30 minutes. The neighborhood is South Bronx, so it's not someplace you probably want to hang out, but that said, I'm female, in my 20s, traveling alone, probably looking lost and I felt fine walking to and from the subway, even late at night. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tancatter
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My family and I stayed at the Operal House Hotel November 9-10, 2013, and what a great experience. I looked for an overnight stay in the Bronx with an upscale feel and the Opera House Hotel delivered. The accommodations and staff were everything you would expect from a 4-star hotel in the city but without the high priced rates. The huge rooms and amazing showers were a definite plus. It's conveniently located near the 5 train that takes you into the city without much hassle. This hotel is an unexpected gem tucked between typical storefronts and pizza palors. Whenever I return to the Bronx, I will for sure stay here!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank KJY1166
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bronx
Rodeway Inn Bronx Zoo
#6 of 14 in Bronx
Umbrella Hotel
#8 of 14 in Bronx
Manhattan
Edge Hotel
Edge Hotel
#85 of 471 in New York City

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!