“Good Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bronx
London, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel itself is very nice however does not mean it's the greatest area or neighbourhood around, since lying in the Bronx. However there was a subway going 2 different ways into Manhattan just a few blocks down. We stayed here for 6 nights but before, we were in Queens in a different hotel. The Opera House Hotel is intricately designed as well as the rooms. The staff there are very friendly and always welcome and great us as we came in every day. They were also very helpful on some particular needs for us.

Despite this the breakfast buffet was not to my perception. The only good things there were is fruit, yoghurt and on rare occasions boiled eggs. Other than that there were only buns, muffins and everything else unhealthy that would only give you energy for like 10 mins. The coffee machine broke a few times or was not empty.

Even though we enjoyed ourselves the hotel price was a bit too much as we stayed in a 2* hotel and they had proper food and triple glazed windows for a perfect sleep. I would recommend this hotel but for us it was not for the best price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This boutique hotel had everything we needed, comfortable pillows and mattresses, soft towels, nice reception, quick check out, and located near shopping and restaurants. If your not used to NY Bronx, then the area may set you back initially. Location was three stores down from the subway system into Manhattan. So an easy walk. The crowd is a bit sketchy, with a few homeless hanging out in the area, but no one bothered us for long. We ate at the Mexican Restaurant right next door. We were visiting Fordham University. We caught a bus a block down right to campus. Cost was $2.50 one way and took about 35 minutes. Slow. We decided to do a taxi back that night, and cost was $12.00. Crazy drivers, but we survived. Both men at the reception counter were very polite and helped us quickly and also with questions about the area. Walls weren't thin that you couldn't hear neighbors talking next door, however you did hear doors closing down the halls. Baths were nice. Irons were provided. Hair dryer was given upon request, not left in the room. I would stay here again, and if my son decides to attend Fordham, it will be our hotel of choice during future visits.

Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My friend and I do a baseball trip every year and this year we did N.Y along with 4 other citys. We try and find a nice hotel but at a great price. This was a hit. One of the overall nicest hotels I've stayed in. Although the nieghborhood was a little shady the hotel made up for it. The staff was very helpful exspecially Duke. The only issue I had was the limited (almost no parking, 5 spots). There is a parking lot the next block over for a cheep price. If you want to walk to the Yankees game this is the place to say and the subway is just a couple of short blocks away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Kungsbacka, Sweden
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Cool, historically, to stay in a rebuilt opera house! Cool design, a good sleep in good beds, large room, quiet and cool, fresh and clean. Very nice and good service. Glad to see the Bronx as a new tourist in NY. Close to many shops and the subway.

Rochester, NY
Reviewed 10 April 2014

What a great hotel if you need to be in the area. The front desk staff (both evening and day) were extremely pleasant, friendly and helpful! We were looking at a college in the area and had many questions, they were great. Our room was very nice, clean and updated and the beds were very comfortable! I will be back for sure and highly recommend this property.

1 Thank RaeRae62
Lewiston, Maine
Reviewed 3 April 2014

What a great hotel! The room was so clean and everyone was so friendly and helpful! The breakfast was good and the fresh coffee was amazing. I really need to find out where they get the pillows, it was the most comfortable pillow I have ever slept on! Seriously! We will stay here again. Thanks so much to "Duke" and everyone else we met there.

1 Thank PatNDave1980
Oswego NY
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed here just one night while visiting a college with my son. Checked in kind of late, 9:00pm, the neighborhood looks a little suspicious but is just fine. The parking adjacent to the hotel was full so Duke, the desk attendant, guided us to another lot just around the corner. Again, I was a little skeptical about leaving my car and my keys but it turned out to be just fine and only $10.00. The room (405) is a king room with a refrigerator and microwave and good size bathroom. The bed is high quality and very comfortable. I shared with my son and neither of us could feel the other move while sleeping. The room itself is quite spacious (not as cramped as many NYC hotels usually are). Nice furnishings, chair and desk. Good size tv and good cable offerings. Unfortunately we had to leave early and chose to sleep in a bit and forego the free continental breakfast. However, based on the quality of this hotel I would be willing to bet it was more than satisfactory. We arrived after a 5 hour drive, very hungry. Duke directed us to the Mexicozano restaurant right next door. So glad we took his advice! The best guacamole I have ever had - made fresh for each order!!! If my son ends up going to the college we visited this will be the place I stay whenever we visit!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Betsaroo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bronx
Umbrella Hotel
#8 of 13 in Bronx
Rodeway Inn Bronx Zoo
#7 of 13 in Bronx
Manhattan
Edge Hotel
Edge Hotel
#43 of 467 in New York City

Been to Opera House Hotel? Share your experiences!