“State of Emergency”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bronx
yonkers
“State of Emergency”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

When my city went into a state of emergency I booked a room for three nights. I checked out early the second morning but they still charged my credit card for three nights. When I asked why they would not refund me for the night I didn't stay they came up with a poor excuse that althought I turned in my key and said I was checking out they just though I was asking them to hold my key while I was out for the day. Poor customer service!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rachel a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was there for the Police Fire games in late August. I was in lock down mode during Irene. I found my room very clean. The staff and manager Paresh were always helpful in answering my questions. The free parking is a huge bonus. The location is off the beaten path - but anything you need is a short drive away. My room was opposite from the highway and I slept great.

Room Tip: Less noise if you're in a room opposite the highway.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Doug V V
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 September 2011

This was my first trip to the Bronx and I wanted, or at least hoped for, a hotel near my assignment. I lucked out when I discovered this Howard Johnson. The hotel was nice enough on its own but having indoor parking added a nice, unexpected touch. Since I didn't know the area too well I did some research on the internet to find a good, safe, CLEAN hotel that wouldn't break the bank. This one was all of that and more.

It was highly unusual to find covered, semi-secure (iron gates but I'm not sure if they closed them at night or not) parking attached to a hotel at this price range, or, at any price range for that matter. I think I ended up paying $130 a night and that's a steal for anything in the NYC area. Parking fees alone could have been 1/3 of that price or more per day at another hotel, but not here. It was a bit unusual to walk in the front door and find the gentleman behind the "front desk" was actually behind a glassed-in area. I'm assuming that it was "security" (i.e., bulletproof) glass but I'm not sure. He was super nice and helpful and I was surprised at how nice my room was. My room wasn't big by any means but it was clean and convenient and that's all I ask for. Like 90% of hotels in the US, this one could use a million dollars in renovations and upgrades, but then I wouldn't have gotten it for $130 a night, it would have been $200 or more.

Overall it was a super clean room with a refrigerator and microwave and as many cable channels as I've ever seen. The bathroom was super clean as well and was well-stocked and everything worked perfectly. The breakfast wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak.. because it was fairly carb-intensive. But, there are a million other options in the area, maybe not within walking distance but a short drive away for sure. I don't expect a free breakfast in hotels that I stay in so it's never a big deal for me when I have to go somewhere else for breakfast. If you like the cereal-oatmeal-toast type breakfast this one was clean and tidy and there was plenty of it. Also, the free in-room wireless worked flawlessly, an important factor for me.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to others. In my travels I've found that if a person is nice to others they will usually be nice back. I've rarely found that to not be the case and it certainly was the case here as the folks at this Howard Johnson were as nice as can be. In fact, everyone that I met in NYC was nice as well. In my home state we always hear about "Minnesota Nice", but I would add "New York Nice" to that list and it surely rolls off the tongue more smoothly. I fantasize about owning a small hotel and this one is at the top of my list, as soon as I win the lottery..

Room Tip: I think this hotel might be concrete construction but I'm not sure. It was quiet for me, I didn...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ScottyG777
montreal
Reviewed 25 September 2011

There are three Bad things about this location. First, Guest staying here HAVE to get their door keys REPROGRAMMED every time they return from an outing. Secondly, 3 of the 4 clerks I had to deal with had poor attitudes and left me with the feeling that I was burdening them to do their job. Thirdly, I left the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door then left to do some shopping/sightseeing and returned to find that my room had been entered by the cleaning stuff, which is what I didn't want and the only reason why I left the D.N.D. sign.

I brought a pizza back to my room, The next morning, I awoke to find it covered in ants. I took pictures to show how many there were.

This Hojo is located beside the *NYPD's Bronx Task Force headquarters which is next to a Homeless shelter @ 1260 Sedgwick Ave. They also say that when the men miss 10 p.m. curfew, they sleep in their backyards or sidewalks. So take that into consideration if you plan on returning late.

Room 231 has a number of things that need to bed attended to. From the peeling wallpaper to dirt filled window sills. The washroom would benefit from a thorough disinfecting. I found numerous signs on cigarette use in my Non-Smoking room and 1 sign can be seen on the showers' soap shelter, yes inside the shower(see photo)! The shower head was covered with mould and hard water stains, I don't think they are cleaned often. The cheap furniture and comforters also had cigarette burns. Quick fixes are allot, many are shoddy at best.

The continental breakfast barely make average. The selections are of the High Sugar variety. All things miniature, mini bagels, mini donuts, mini strudels etc. Toasting a mini bagel in a standard size bread toaster is an ordeal. Frozen cream cheese to spread on your bagels. Cereals dispensed from gum-ball type machines and crushes everything that is dispensed, great for feeding babies. Broken juice machine during my entire stay.

I wonder is MLB is aware that this HOJO has branded themselves HOJO YANKEE Stadium?

I personally will not be returning to this Bronx HOJO. I would prefer to stay at the Boston street location which has more amenities and a train station right in front and not 30minutes away walking distance as was the case with this location.

Room Tip: For Emergencies Only.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank MTL2theworld

Travellers are raving about these Bronx hotels

Reviewed 19 September 2011

The room was disgusting!!!!!! But what can you expect when the bathroom up front had pee strains all over it and every cleaning person was "breaking" the room had wallpaper, literally peeling off the wall with strains and mold every where holes in the walls and sheets mold in the short and the toilet seat kid was broke off

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Donlbeas
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I never even stayed at this hotel and the experience I had was terrible. All I wanted to do was call and ask about the hotel and before I could speak, the representative said "call back in 30 mintues" then hung up. I patiently waited 30 minutes before calling back and when I did the representative said, "hold on a minute." I didn't even get a "please." I work in hospitality and this hotel contradicts the word "hospitality," Crappy service.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
new orleans
Reviewed 3 August 2011

General Manager Pete was very helpful in any situation. Hotel personnel would call taxi's at any time to get me to the stadium in minutes. Always had a free breakfast ready at 6am for guests. Rooms were clean and everything in the rooms worked from the iron to the cable tv. Is not the newest or biggest Howard Johnson's in the nation but one of the friendliest.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo