“Traditional pub and tea room”

The George & Dragon
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Quainton
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have been using here for a number of years and can clearly see why it has won awards!
Ambiance is great, food excellent and staff great (especially Fiona on a Tuesday and Wednesday night)
They have now opened up a tea room which is delightful and open from 8 am a good idea in this picturesque village.
Only drops a point because it doesn't open on Mondays which in the summer is just missing good trade in my opinion! George and Darren the chefs and Charlotte the landlady are very good.

2  Thank Patrick G

Reviewed 11 July 2014

It's difficult to get excited about a café, I know, but myself and Dave decided to meet for breakfast there to check the place out the next morning after having a few ales the night before. They've done a really nice refit with quality oak and a lovely wood burner upstairs. We both had the full English which was everything you could want. Nice selection of cakes and other snacks too if your going later in the day.
I hear the coffee's very good too, but I stuck to tea with my breakfast.
Worth a visit if it's too early for beer in which case go next door to the pub.

2  Thank Plo1
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were visiting the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre and remembered from a previous visit , that the food was not particularly special, so decided to walk ( less than a mile) down to the village of Quainton. It was Bank Holiday Monday, and noticed they normally do not serve food Mondays, but it was after all available Bank Holidays.
There was a variety of choices on the written menu, as well as Specials on a blackboard. My husband had Edgar's Golden Ale, which is a local brew from the real ale Vale Brewery Company which was very good, and I had a glass of an Australian house wine which was also very nice. We had Salmon and Brocolli Fish Cakes with salad and chili dip, and lamb with mashed potatoes and vegetables as our main courses from the blackboard. My lamb had a strip of fat which I had to cut off , but otherwise the meat was good, and the vegetables on the side included ratatouille alongside cabbage, carrots and brocolli, which was unusual.
The desserts were both excellent. I had cherry and apple cumble with custard, and my husband had a banana split with all the trimmings.
I would recommend this if you are visiting Buckinghamshire on holiday, or passing through, or visiting the Railway Centre

1  Thank babarandceleste
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We've been here a quite a few times and have never been disappointed. They've built a huge new kitchen and extra seating and cut back the menu which has improved things greatly. We had the steak with a very reasonable and quaffer-able bottle of Merlot (£12). Low beamed ceilings add a real atmosphere and the range of real ales is a treat. Kids enjoyed there meal and at a reasonable price.
Everything you would expect from a country pub.

1  Thank Plo1
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Considering this pub has been a finalist in the Aylesbury Vale Village Pub awards for the past 3 years we were really disappointed in the standard of food we had for our Sunday lunch today.
My husband's veg korma was little more than a watery veg chilli with kidney beans and chickpeas in it. The only clue that it was a korma was the nan bread plonked on the side of the plate. My daughter's kids roast was almost inedible with really tough beef and over done veg. My Surf 'n' Turf was little more than scampi and a small steak with chips and a salad. Tasteless and unsatisfying.
When we had a quick look in the kitchen it was plain to see that the kitchen was being run by kids with no "chef" present.
I am a firm believer in supporting local pubs but they have to be aware that the standard of food they serve has to be good otherwise people will not keep using them.
The pub is in the heart of the beautiful village of Quainton and should be fantastic but it's food really let it down today and we will not be returning.

6  Thank jess_sings