“Tasty Food, Accomodating Chef”
Review of Matthew's On Main

Matthew's On Main
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Callicoon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My sister just bought a house in Callicoon, so my family arrived for the week for housewarming. I have been there twice so far and each time the food has been excellent. I am a vegan and the chef has prepared a special plate for me each time. Both times were very tasty grilled veggie dishes with a side grain.

The dishes the others ate looked quite good too. It is not the typical greasy bar food. The things ordered were focused on health consciousness without slacking on flavor. The appetizer salad was also excellent.

Additionally, they have a decent wine list, a nice outdoor patio area, and the staff was attentive.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We had actually stopped in and left one time, vowing never to return, and broke our vow and returned. Expereinces were all bad, for different reasons. The first time at Matthew's on Main it was just the two of us. We had a long wait for our wine, which took 15 minutes to be served. We had ordered salads, and, long story short, at the 25 and 35 minute marks, we asked about the salads, being told they'd "be right out." end of story: no salads after 45 minutes. We asked for a check so we could leave, waited another 10 minutes. Didn't get one, and finally put $15 down on the table and left. We didn't visit again for a year, when we went in with friends who wanted to go. We ordered the fritters, which were totally burned on one side. Guess which side? The side facing DOWN. Four fritters, and I think putting them burnt side down was on purpose, hoping we wouldn't notice. We told the waitress who said she'd be right back. P.S., we didn"t see her for over 20 minutes again, by which time we ate the burnt fritters because we were starved. When she finally returned to take our dinner orders, we complained again that she hadn't returned to replace our burnt fritters. The meal was okay, nothing great, overpriced. We were shocked to see the fritters on the bill, and mentioned to the waitress. She got Matthew, who came out to talk to us. He told us that, in spite of our long wait for the waitress and the fact that we only ate them because she never returned and we were starving, he would not take them off the bill. Well, Matthew. Your restaurant struck out with is locals three times (I didn't mention the third), so you're OUT. They're overpriced with terrible service, penny-wise and pound foolish, and do not know how to service and appreciate their customers. There are plenty of other good restaurants around - 1906, Samba Grill, Albert's, Yiasou - so, we will NOT be returning to Matthew's and have already discouraged friends who want to go there by telling them of our experience. With the fact that Internet reviews can be posted freely today, I am shocked that a restaurateur would not know better than to take burnt fritters off a bill, especially when we gave them a second and third chance.

3  Thank TheMuttMaven
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Mathew moved up from the big city years ago and from the beginning had created a fine place to eat in the mountains. Always good. Nice atmosphere. You can't go wrong. When I was just a weekender I ate there almost every weekend. Now, as a full timer maybe 2 times a month. Little pricey for fixed income folk.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We ventured in here one day for lunch and beers. We were pleasantly surprised by the selection of IPA beers and gourmet lunch. My husband had the chicken meatloaf and I had grilled cheese made with Brie and Apple slices. Both were delicious! The bartender (I think her name was Karen) was so nice and informative about the area!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

The folks who run Matthew's are good chefs and Manhattan-trained. With more and more folks heading to the NYC mountains for weekends at their second homes or vacations at local B&B's, this place should be on your radar. They know how to cook here and you won't be steered wrong with their recommendations on specials du jour. While some of the wait staff can be loud, don't take it personally. Most of the regulars hold court in the front bar area, where its noisy and not ideal to dine. Head to the rear and enjoy a table on the outside deck or inside - the place has good bones and feels very welcome so if you can't get a seat outside, you won't mind being in. All I can say is the food is great, so don't be afraid to order anything that sounds exotic because they really know what they're doing!