“Good value and family friendly”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed for the first time with a large group and overall we had a great time. The great food, service, and activities helped us overlook an unfortunate check-in mix up. But our sales manager, (Adam) worked very hard overall to meet our groups' needs and did the best with the resources available upon check-in. The staff, overall, was very friendly and accommodating with specific needs/requests including dining and mobility needs for my grandmother. Our wait staff (Angel and Butch) and the maitre'd (Reza) were awesome. The food was great, I ate too much as I was not expecting five course meals every night! The pool area is beautiful, which we all enjoyed very much. The lodge accommodations were great for our groups' needs to be together and keep our kids close. The few from our group that stayed in the hotel were also very happy with their rooms given their specific needs/preferences. As with any place, things happen but when expectations are reasonable, one can overlook certain things and enjoy their vacation. As for many of the other bad reviews I've read, they seem to be off the mark. We are looking forward to next year!

Room Tip: Rooms vary in the hotel so speak with the resort to discuss your specific needs when making your res...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travelgal325

Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

The place is just not a nice place. The rooms are outdated and the place is not clean. Its sort of like being in a time warp to the 80's. You have people getting up at 7 am to get pool chairs they will never use. The pool concession is beyond the pale. The food in the main restaurant is just sad. Just drive an hour to a chain hotel and save yourself the disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank TheHopefulTraveler
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have been to villa rom a for over 12 years and eve single year my family hand I are have the best summer because of " the best family vacation " of coarse my 16 year old isn't looking forward to going this year because she has been going since she was a toddler but my other daughter is jumping with joy to go we are actually leaving on Sunday and my younger daughter is so excited she packed 2 weeks before we are even leaving I have also went when I was a small child and it is great showing my children what I got to experience as a kid also and the best part is that villa rom a is always update g new things. I am in time share building 17 I have also been to Hershey many times and even the famous Hershey can't even catch up to the things that villa roma has it will never ever get old ever even if I go until im 90 I love this resort and when it's over all in can think about is coming back next year and who ever said they dont like it is obviously a kill joy and nothing fits up to there expectations so go ahead on your 50,000$ vacations while there is normal people having a great time and it's affordable I love taking my family and I can't wait until Sunday!!!!! :)

Room Tip: Pick a corner suite I have that kid it is very nice
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
acarlucci, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and writing such a great review!

We want to first off thank you for being such a loyal guest of ours. You have been coming up here for 12 wonderful years, and we are happy to call you a part of our family.

Our resort prides itself in giving all of our guests a great family vacation with many amenities and activities at an affordable price.

We are always looking at ways to improve our activity program by adding more fun things to do, bringing in different entertainment, and by expanding and upgrading our amenities. Our number one priority is to ensure there is something to do for all our guests, no matter the age.

Thank you again for sharing such a positive review, we look forward to your visit, and cannot wait for you to experience our new social program!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

At best this place was mediocre. The 2nd flr Lodge room I booked was double booked and I got bumped and was blatantly lied to by Adam our groups service manager. Having been bumped I would of expected some amazing upgrade but this was not done. I was given an old dirty room in the main hotel separated from my group. I was moved back to the Lodge on my 2nd day to rejoin my group but on the 1st floor in what looked like their worse room. Most rooms in the Lodge were disgusting & very old & outdated. We were lied to about the conditions of these rooms as they were clearly not updated or refurbished in any way. The food was decent & the pools were nice. Lots to do for little kids a plus for large groups with babies. Some nights the wait for dinner was ridiculously long however our wait staff were excellent in trying their best to satisfy us. Senior maid service for the lodge was awful. The one smoked while keeping doors ajar making my room stink like an ashtray every day. Having asthma this was a serious problem. I would never stay in the Lodge again. We do plan on going back next year to give it 1 more try and I hope Adam can do a better job next year.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Isis1107
acarlucci, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your review.

Adam has been with our hotel for many years, he has made numerous lifelong friends of group leaders that have come to our hotel. His only priority is to ensure that all of his guests and groups are happy and that they enjoy themselves. Adam has a long standing and proven track record when it comes to his groups satisfaction. We can assure you that what had transpired was a miscommunication error with another member of management that Adam quickly corrected.

After a little research, we have found that you were originally separated from your group and put in a newly renovated room in the main hotel. When it was brought up that you wanted to be put back with your group, you were shown a room in the lodge and were satisfied with it. We apologize if there was anything in your unit that was not up to your standards, and would have quickly taken care of any issues if they had been brought up.

Our resort is one hundred percent smoke free, and the only areas of the resort where you can smoke is outdoors. Unfortunately, sometimes the smoke does travel into the building when the front doors open, and we are actively looking at ways to correct this.

We are delighted to hear that your group has requested a proposal for next year with the same rooms in the lodge, and are very happy to hear that their overall experience in the hotel was a positive one.

We look forward to your return visit to our resort, and hope you have a great time when you come back!

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

As timeshare owners since 1984, the Villa Roma has always been a second home to my family and I. There is so much to do and so many great people we look forward to seeing each and every year! The people here who write negative reviews clearly need to realize this is not the Ritz and if your looking for fancy 5 thousand dollar a night service then that's where you belong. the Villa Roma is excellent for families and friends to gather every year and enjoy great food, great entertainment, just an overall family friendly enviroment.

The only problems, which are very minor that I do have are with the pool area and Forum Night Club. The pool area looks fantastic but just a though, it should be extended maybe where the bocce courts are and relocate those? We have noticed the crowds have grown every summer and it's becoming impossible to find not only chairs but breathing room. The Forum night club though just has to go, it's completely out dated(as is the whole section of the hotel including the indoor pool and game room) You spent so much money on the main building you might as well finish the rest! all in all though I would defiantly recommend the Villa to anyone and everyone who's looking for a relaxing, fun vacation with the family to enjoy each others company and the beautiful Villa!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your review with us.

We would like to first off start by thanking you for being a part of our family for so long. We truly appreciate all of our loyal and long time guests that frequent our resort, and we look forward to helping create many more memorable years together.

You have described our resort accurately. We are a family friendly resort where you can enjoy great food, entertainment, friends, activities and amenities. We have something for everyone from babies to the grandparents in the crowd. We only hope to in the future, expand and enhance the very things that make us standout.

We are looking at ways to improve and enhance the overall experience of the outdoor pool area. Although we are in the early stages, we are confident all of our guests will be able to enjoy this area comfortably.

We have also begun looking at what improvements can be done with our Forum Night Club. Although this will take time, we are discussing all possible options to improve the room for our guest’s enjoyment.

Once again, thank you for writing such a great review. We look forward to many more fun filled years to together. Thank you for being a part of the Villa Roma Family and we hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed for 2 1/2 days, and it was one long wait to leave. The room was mediocre, but it was clean and roomy. When we arrived there were 4 bent wire hangers in our closet and we called and requested more hangars. Eventually we called 3 times without any action, and finally I went to the front desk and again requested hangars. Again we were told they would be delivered. Never happened.
The first night I was presented with the worst food I've ever eaten at a hotel. I couldn't finish the meal. I have to say that it never really improved. The breakfast did offer decent eggs, but the bacon tasted like beef jerky; it was obviously cooked at least 2 or 3 days earlier. The evening meal again was awful, and was unquestionably reheated food. Just horrible. I honeslty can't understand why anyone would ever return after the food we were offered.
The pool was so crowded that we (12 of us) had to utilize one chair for the entire weekend. The facilities generally were old and beaten up pretty badly. The shops would have been upscale for 1965 Times Square. 'Tacky' is probably the right desciptive.
In general it was the worst 'resort' I've ever stayed at, and I wouldn't go back if they offered me a free timeshare forever. I cannot imagine how it stays in business.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
8  Thank Peter G
acarlucci, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your review and thoughts with us.

We are disappointed to hear about your housekeeping issue regarding hangers and have brought these comments to the attention of the Executive Housekeeper.

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meals. Please rest assured that our food is cooked daily and never reheated. We receive daily shipments of the food, fruit and vegetables we are going to serve our guests. We serve over 700-800 guests every night during the peak season in the various restaurants we have to offer, and although we recognize there will always be some who do not like their meal, most leave with a positive experience and a full stomach!

Our gift shop is one of the busiest outlets we have at the Villa Roma. It sells just about a little bit of everything from logo items and collectibles to clothing, kids and pool toys and so much more! They also sell merchandise for those die hard Yankee and Met fans!

We are looking at ways to expand and reorganize our outdoor pool area. Although this will take time, we are confident that everyone will be able to enjoy this area comfortably.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay and we hope you reconsider about not returning. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Villa Roma with my 18 year old daughter and my 81 year old mother. It was our annual “Three Generations Trip.” We have been to many other all inclusive resorts as well as on a few cruises and were for the most part very happy with the villa. Like other New Yorkers and Long Islanders we chose this place for its close proximity. It took us just a little over 2 hours from Queens. Upon arrival, we were greeted by John, in the circular driveway, who personally escorted us up and into the portico. I bags were promptly removed from our vehicle with precision and were immediately brought up to our room which was already ready for us. We stayed in a one bedroom efficiency which included a complete kitchen as well as 2 Queen Beds and spacious bathroom with both stand up shower as well as jetted tub. The bathroom could be accessed from the living room as well as the bedroom. The room was spacious and appeared to have newer carpeting as well as appliances in the kitchen. Mattresses were newer pillow top and quite comfortable. The only down sides to the room were the older style of bedding – I would have preferred white duvets as opposed to the old style bed spreads and the fact that we have two old televisions instead of flat panels. The one in the bedroom was originally color but only played in black and white. If it was not for the fact that the Olympics were on, I probably would not have turned it on at all. I suppose that if I had complained, they may have changed it out or repaired it, but I do believe that a flat panel should be standard at this point in time. Aside from that the room was clean; there was plenty of storage and amble hot water as well as water pressure. We did have a problem with one of the housekeeping staff, but the issue was brought up to Sean, the housekeeping manager, and I feel that he handled the situation was well as he could have and checked with us for the remainder of our stay to make certain that we were happy and did not have any additional problems.

The highlight of this trip was definitely the dining room. It was beautifully decorated and the staff was excellent. From the manager, Robert, to our wait staff, Benjamin and Gus, there was not a single thing that I could complain about. I would say that the food was excellent and the selections were more that one could ask for. Each meal consisted of 5 courses and was consistently good. Thursday evening is called Cesar night and is not a night to be missed. Between the waiters in Togas, Marc Anthony and Clea Patra as well as live music and singing complete with singing and napkin waving, it was such a fun evening. I cannot understand previous negative reviews about the food. This food and service blew away the food that I received at Woodloch Pines Resort as well as the food that I received on both cruises. I would even go on to say that some of my entrees were the best I have ever eaten.

The pools were area was very nice and as other reviewers have already stated, it is quite crowded. After having read that many of the Time Share guests line up at 6:30 am to run in and claim lounges and tables by 9:00 am I would have to say that this is true. However, I have seen this on cruise ships as well and was prepared for this. The most frustrating thing about it was that they claimed these spots but either never sat in them or hardly sat in them. I was fully prepared to move a towel and sit down. One cannot blame a resort for this kind of behavior – it is the mentality of the people that believe that they are entitled to a spot both in the shade as well as in the sun and that it should be their choice if they want to use it. Everyone at this resort is paying Big money to be there and should be entitled to sit down. Somehow, I always managed to find a couple of seats together. One afternoon, I found a spot in the shade for my mom, another guest gave up a seat for my daughter and one of the pool boys actually brought a lounge chair over so that I could be near them. After a little while a few lounges did open up together and we were able to sit and enjoy a great afternoon of live music with the band “First Class”. They were excellent as well as the other live bands, “The Company” that performed there daily from 1-4 pm.

The main building is gorgeous and was always clean. There are two lovely gift shops and we purchased several nice items from Helen, in the boutique. She was wonderful and new items seem to arrive on a daily basis.

The biggest issue that faced me was the inconsistency of how entrance into Marty’s lounge was handled and the music schedule. Marty’s is a new lounge tucked in the back corner of the main lobby. It consisted of a bar area, nightclub seating, a dance floor and band stage. It was beautiful. After 8:00 p.m. no one under the age of 21 was permitted (supposedly). The band schedule was 5:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Keeping in mind that the nightly entertainment in the Forum Nightclub only began at 10:00 p.m. it left a long time between dinner and the show that left me no place to go where the three of us could go to listen to music. We were basically forced to sit in the main lobby or back in our room. Because my 18 year old daughter was not permitted into Marty’s at 9:00 to listen and or dance to the bands music. The irony of this is that there was no one in there at 9:00 p.m and the band was actually plying to a handful of people. We did go in one day at 5:00 and we were only 3 of the 7 people in there. They served drinks at all times, but for some strange reason, my daughter could be there before 8 and not after. This made no sense to me at all. When questioning management, Kevin, I was asked why I would want to take my daughter into that kind of atmosphere. Are you kidding? What changed between 8 and 9 p.m.? It made no sense at all and was the source of most of my frustration. Knowing that there was a band playing away to an empty room makes me wonder what kind of business sense this area of the hotel has. I was consistently told that adults are complaining that there is not an “Adults only” area and this is what they want. I just don’t buy it. This is a “FAMILY RESORT” not a couple’s retreat house. Granted I would not like 10 year olds running around, but when I clearly see underage kids purchasing alcoholic drinks in the Forum nightclub without I.D. it just did not make sense to me. All I was looking for was for a little music and the ability to do a little dancing with my daughter. After watching several clearly underage kids walking into Marty’s without I.D. or with what had to be fake I.D. I took matters into my own hands and walked in, with my daughter and my 81 year old mother. Guess what? No one came and dragged us out – but who needs this kind of stress. The bouncers themselves did not even look 21. I think that this caused more problems than anything else. On one occasion, I was told that I could not enter because I did not have I.D.-how stupid it this. One group of clearly 25-30 year old me were turned away because they did not have their drivers license with them. How ridiculous. You could purchase alcohol all over this resort or carry your own that you brought from home. Somebody needs to fix this problem. The teen disco in the rear of the old Forum Nightclub is a joke. When we were denied access into Marty’s we went to check it out to find not a single person there. I believe that this is the area that needs the most attention.

Enough said about that. Doc Holiday and his wife Joy are the entertainment staff and do what I believe to be a great job. My daughter, mom and I received personal line dance lessons as we were the only to show up. Bingo draws a large crowd and the cost per card varies between $1 and $2 per card and cash prizes ranged between $60 and $400. The duck and potato racing also drew a large crowd and was a lot of fun.

Barring the whole night club issue, I had a very good time and would love to return.

1  Thank Supermom323

Thank you for taking the time and writing such a lengthy review.

We are very happy to hear that your check in was seamless and we will relay these comments to John and the front desk staff.

We are also happy to hear that you mostly enjoyed your accommodations and have noted your concerns and relayed them to our maintenance department.

Thank you for recognizing the staff in the dining room. Your experience is a testament of the service and experience we provide. Our food is prepared fresh daily and our staff love getting to know the guests they are going to serve.

Caesar’s Night is our signature meal and this is the meal that a lot of our guests look forward to during their stay. Not only do you get a meal fit for a king, but you get live entertainment and visit from some very prominent people!

After 8pm, in Marty’s Lounge, it becomes a 21 year old and up only venue. This is to ensure the safety of our guests and our staff. After 8pm, the bar tends to get busier and we do our best to prevent underage drinking, which is not tolerated. Although sometimes the system may not be fool proof or perfect, it does deter a lot of our younger guests from entering, which the reason we have this in place.

From guest surveys and suggestions, we have implemented a few nights a week where the night club is 16 years and up. This is so our adult guests are able to enjoy entertainment and drinks in a true night club atmosphere. During these nights we do offer alternative activities for our younger guests. Although we strive to be a family resort, we cater to all groups, singles, couples, adults, kids, teenagers, seniors, organizations and so much more. We make sure there is a time and place for everything so everyone has something to do!

We have brought Doc and Joy to our resort to help make our activity program the best that it could be. Thus far, they have exceeded our expectations and have done a fantastic job keeping our guests busy and entertained all day long.

We once again thank you for sharing such a lengthy review and we are very happy to hear you enjoyed most aspects of your vacation with us. We look forward to your return visit real soon! We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
The Lodge at Woodloch
Fosterdale Motor Lodge(Closest To Bethel Woods)
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake
Schrute Farms

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!