I stayed here this past weekend with my family. Room was circa 1950 and smelled of mold and mildew. When we complained at the front desk, the manager on duty, I think his name was Kevin, said that you did opt for the economy package ($1521 for friday arrival and sunday checkout!) and basically that is the room you get. He did say we are welcome to leave and he would refund the money. Great customer service! To top it off the people above us seemed to pace back and forth throughout the night and the floors were creaking the whole night long.
The pool was way overcrowded. My family of 5 had to cram onto 1 open chair that we found. There were signs that said the staff will clear towels on unoccupied chairs during designated hours but never once did I see a staff member clearing towels that just sat there for hours on end. The over crowding is from timeshare owners that truely feel they own the place and take up many more chairs then needed. I guess they need them to rest their pool bags on!
Positives were the service in dining room was very good. In particular Maria was very pleasent and helpful. Food was pretty good as well.
My kids (11 and 12 year olds) had a good time at the fun park. In particular the Go Karts. They rode them over and over and enjoyed that part of the trip.
So in summary, I feel the price to value was poor. For $1521 for a 2 night stay the conditions should have been considerably better. Updating is defintely needed and figuring out the pool issue is a must. Activity options for the kids and dining experience are decent so it all depends on what is important to you.
We heard positive things about this place from people that have been going for years but my family probably will never go back. One of the biggest issues was the handling of our concerns. Instead of apologizing and coming up with a solution to appease us we were told we could leave. We considered that but it would have been a diappointment for our children that were hearing how great this place was for weeks before our trip. That being said besides the Go Karts they agree it is not a place to go back to unless improvements are made.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center is proud to announce that we have just received the Fodor’s Choice 2010 Award. The Awards are given to the "best of the best," in hotel/resort destinations providing remarkable experiences in price range, destination, or category. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Roma Hotel Callicoon
- Hotel Roma
- Villa Roma Resort And Conference Center Catskill Region, New York - Callicoon