“Great getaway place within easy driving distance”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Suffern NY
“Great getaway place within easy driving distance”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had been to Villa Roma in the past as a participant in various conferences and group events, Frankly, I was not impressed. It didn’t stand out from the other venues in the Catskills - on the downhill side of the 1960s.
But they offered a good midweek package at an irresistible rate, so my wife and I rounded up two other couples and decided to book for a two-night midweek package at $100 day per person plus a $100 room credit.
Were we surprised on arrival. Villa Roma had undergone a massive makeover. Even our rooms in an older part of the building had been upgraded with such luxuries as a double sink and expansive bathroom.The public areas were elegantly furnished with plenty of nooks and alcoves for reading or small-group conversations. Although we didn't use the outdoor pool because of iffy June weather, the indoor pool was pleasant.
In fact, pleasant is the operative word for our stay. Everyone on the staff was pleasant and helpful - much as we would find on a cruise ship.
Our Modified American Plan included breakfast and dinner. Raves again for the food and service in the dining room. Not to be missed is the Caesar-theme Thursday night dinner, where the wait staff dress as Centurions and the food keeps flowing as in a Roman banquet - a classic seven course Italian meal.
While the evening entertainment was not headliner calibre (those days are long gone in the Catskills) it was professional, varied, enjoyable and free. If you want to be scalped for headliner shows, drive the three hours to Atlantic City and pay the price.
For those who want to gamble, the racino at Monticello is a short drive or bus ride away and OTB has an installation on premises.
Villa Roma has survived the decline of the Catskills because of its loyal base of clientele, time sharing on the property, and the investment made to improve it. We see families with young children, an encouraging sign. It is also one of two remaining large destination resorts - all the rest, Grossingers, Browns, Kutscher”s. Raleigh, Nevelle, Concord, Homowack have fallen by the wayside.
To us it was a worthwhile destination; we have already made a commitment among our group to come back “same time next year.”

Room Tip: No bad rooms. Even those in the older section have been thoroughly upgraded. Ours were quiet and com...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Wouldn't miss an opportunity to be here. My family and friends love it too.the staff are friendly and are interested in you wishes. The dining room offers delicious food. Indoor as well as outdoor beautiful pools and hot tubs

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Rubies714
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the first leg of a tour to visit family in Sullivan County and the surrounding areas, and I'm very glad we did. Everything from the rooms to the other areas of the hotel were immaculate, and any time we saw something that could have used some attention, there was someone there not all that long after taking care of it. The food was great, and there was always something going on (though admittedly the entire place was slowed down early in the week. If you're looking for 'action' be sure to book on the weekend).

All the staff we encountered was friendly and professional. I dealt with the hotel operator Cheryl a few times, and she was always ready to help with what we needed. We asked for a fridge (they have small compact units available) for our room, and it was delivered in less than three minutes after completing the call by a young man from housekeeping, Anthony, or Antonio, or something similar to that I can't recall now. We were both amazed at that kind of service. We would never expect that to be the norm anywhere (I'm sure we just got lucky with the timing of our call), but it's always nice when it happens. And when we saw that gentleman in the hallway later that night, he greeted us and asked if we needed anything else. We got that kind of friendly attention from everyone we encountered and it was very nice to see.

We travel a lot, and realize that it's a mixed bag out there. We've had bad experiences in the same places we've had good experiences before, and it can be somewhat difficult to find a place that has consistency. That happens everywhere. Based on this visit though, if we return to the area, we are more than willing to give this place another try to see if it's just as good next time as it was this time. I recommend anyone staying in the area to give them a chance and hope that if you do, you have the same positive experience we did.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cynthia C
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Villa Roma staff's demeanor is professional, respectful, friendly, and enthusiastic from the moment we began making plans for our trip to departure. The friendliness and outstanding service we received from the dinning staff, hotel staff members and show staff at the Jersey Boyz show was absolutely the highest of quality.

While we all understand that employees consistently execute mandatory job functions for which they are paid, they inconsistently demonstrate voluntary job essence for which there is no additional cost. That’s why encounters with employees/ members of the staff are so rare and should not go unnoticed. It's certainly refreshing to meet people who choose to reflect the extra smile, service or assistance. It creates pleasurable experiences for the customers/seniors and more importantly reminds me that I want and will to do more business with this establishment and recommend Villa Roma to others.

Extraordinary customer service is defined by professionalism, accountability, creditability, quality, efficiency, and personalized treatment. The Villa Roma staff has set itself apart from competitors and the industry standards in every encounter. They aim to impress, to delight, have astonished and exceeded not only my expectations in every area, but that of our senior members. Members of our senior group continually praised the staff members for their outstanding service, professionalism and cheerful demeanor on our ride home. There was not one complaint. The food was delicious and the service even better. There were plenty of activities to do for everyone's taste. I enjoyed doing business with Villa Roma more than you can imagine and your staff was the talk of the group. We will definitely be scheduling more visits to your establishment.

The staff has brought "customer satisfaction to a new level". Villa Roma staff has connected with the customer, Senior Citizens Club, on an authentic level in many ways from simply engaging in sincere conversation or making eye contact with a genuine smile. That's what true experiences and memories are made of.

Sincere thanks to Villa Roma and the staff for continued outstanding service.

Definitely a place to go to and enjoy.

Joan S.
Rochelle Park, NJ

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Joan S
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Where do we even begin with this? Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for such a wonderful review about Villa Roma!

Day trips are one of our fastest growing types of business at the resort. Kelly Mullally and the sales team, take a great deal of time to put together a day trip package that is entertaining as soon as you get off the bus! She works tirelessly with our kitchen staff to come up with a menu that all can enjoy, and also works with the rest of the hotel staff to make sure their are activities and programs in place to keep everyone enjoying themselves! We will be sure to pass along your kind comments with regards to your recent trip with us!

Your comments regarding our staff and our resort, are an exact reflection of what we strive to do each and every day. We take enormous pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodations, friendly staff, plenty of activities and amenities, delicious meals, among a million other things for our guests.

Thank you again Joan, for taking the time, and sharing such a wonderful vacation experience with us. Be sure to check your day trip schedule for some other great upcoming trips! Take care, and we hope you enjoy the summer!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've been going to the Villa roma for about fifteen or sixteen years, and all of my memories are ones of greatness. I've read a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor and some other Web sites that complain the Villa Roma is 'outdated,' 'has poor service,' and 'is too pricey.' First of all, I'd like to address these critiques. The Villa Roma is not 'outdated'; I think people confuse the term 'outdated' with the 'retro,' 'old-style' theme that it possesses. In the timeshare rooms, I agree that some of the furniture isn't 100% up-to-date, but if it isn't broke, then don't fix it. The condition of the rooms are always good (to say the least) and are definitely intact; nothing's broken, nothing's falling apart, nothing can be considered subpar. The timeshare rooms are nice, comfortable, and spacious and most offer two bedrooms (one with two beds), two bathrooms, a kitchenette area, a dining room area, a living room (with a couch and a television), closets (one in each bedroom, and a utility closet by the bathroom), and an outdoor porch/patio. That is more than I have ever seen from other resorts similar to the Villa Roma.

Next is about the 'poor service.' If you have a maintenance problem in your room, call up the hotel, and the maintenance men will arrive within ten to fifteen minutes on most occasions. People who run the little shops (the gift shop, the perfume store, the clothing boutique) are always friendly and understand what to do. At the eateries, the waiters and the other staff are usually always good; nice, polite, and hardly (if ever) mess up an order. Most of the waiters are young (especially at the Roman Garden Cafe), and cannot be expected to provide A-class service like waiters in an A-class restaurant would, but they do a well-enough job, and that has always been enough for me. Lifeguards are attentive and on top of things. Other staff members know what they're doing too (for example, Doc Holiday, and Frankie). Of course, every staff team has a few members that aren't always the best, but for the most part, the staff at the Villa Roma is on-par, and do a very good job.

Now this part, of the Villa Roma being 'too pricey', I do sort of agree with. I visit the Villa Roma at the end of August, and last year (2013), the trip costed around $2,000 for one week, for just me and my parents. My parents take care of the money part of the trip, but from what I know to just reserve the timeshare is about $600, which includes the maintenance fee. An on top of that, for groceries, eating-out, miscellaneous shopping, and other things, it's around $1,500. Prices at the eateries aren't ridiculously over-priced, but are more on the 'high-price' side. It saddens me to say that my family and I aren't going to the Villa Roma this year because we just cannot afford it this time around, mainly because of the high price the VR demands.

Despite this, the Villa Roma is an excellent resort with tons to do and offer, for all ages. There are several pools (I think there are three outdoor pools, and one indoor pool), a jacuzzi (I don't remember, but there may be an outdoor jacuzzi still, but I forget), indoor and outdoor bocce, shuffleboard, two pool tables (which could use a renovation, I'll admit), an arcade, nightly shows (which are always awesome), lots of kids activities (you name it, they usually have it at the Villa Roma), a golf course (which I hear is excellent), bowling, racquetball, a basketball court, a volleyball court, go-karting, a small petting zoo, rock climbing walls, paintball course, and tons of other amenities and activities. All in all, I've always found the Villa Roma to be an amazing place to visit, and it probably is my favorite thing to do all year. It sucks that I will not be going this year, but I'll be back for the VR in 2015. For me, the value that the Villa Roma has for me is worth the five stars, although, if it took care of those few issues that I have with it, it'd be more or less perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank suedeheaddd
West Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We just completed our wonderful week at the Villa Roma, located in the Sullivan County Catskills.Here are some highlights: Delicious, affordable, plentiful dinners in the main dining room (we used the optional "meal plan" - $109 pp for four dinners) . Entertainment (free) every evening...among the performers were - Joe Cassella, Dave Heenan (Dangerfields), Johnny Petillo (Danny & The Juniors, The Duprees), Sal Richards, Lepore and Hart. The biggest problem was that the outdoor jacuzzi was "down" for two days, until the broken part was replaced! Looking forward to our "Week 21" next year and renewing friendships made. G & T.

Room Tip: At the Villa Roma, you have the same room each year (flat screen in LR and BR)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Golfer10526
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time and sharing such a wonderful review with us!

Villa Roma Resort prides itself in providing comfortable accommodations, delicious meals, and many activities and amenities, so you are never bored! We have continuously taken feedback from our guests over the last 45 years to develop our resort into what it is today! We have no plans on stopping either!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary nightly entertainment. We do our very best to bring in entertainment that would be suitable and enjoyable to our very many diverse guests!

Unfortunately, our Jacuzzi did have an issue during your week, and we do apologize for that inconvenience. We are hoping you had the opportunity to use our indoor Jacuzzi while the outdoor one was being replaced. We are happy to report the outdoor Jacuzzi is up and running and ready to go!

We look forward to seeing you again next week 21! Thank you again for sharing such a wonderful review!
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have been going to Villa Roma for the last few years for our vacation. We find the place is beautiful, the staff is friendly, and the dining options are very good. Not to mention the plenty of activities available for every age group. If you prefer to enjoy some quietness and eat in your room, that option is also available. We recommend for you to try Ronnie's Deli pizza and rotisserie chicken, which are simply the best. That are the reasons we give Villa Roma the highest rating. Keep doing such a great job.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time and sharing such a great review with us!

We love to hear when you any of our guests recognize our staff for their professionalism and kindness. We have a comprehensive hospitality training program that focuses on what our guests expect and how to make them feel at home. We also hire the best "people person" staff available and it shows! Many of our staff truly enjoy getting to meet all the new people they encounter on a daily basis!

Villa Roma does have many dining options as you have certainly touched upon. We are proud to offer many different options including our Main Dining Room, Beechwoods Restaurant, Outdoor Pool Grill, Ronnies Deli, Golf Course Grill Room, Roman Garden Cafe, and even room service! On top of our other outlets such as our Gelato Bar and Coffee Shop, there is certainly something for everyone!

Thank you again for taking the time and sharing such a great review with us. We will be sure to keep up the great job, and look forward to your return visit soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Liberty
Inn at Lake Joseph
Inn at Lake Joseph
#1 of 2 in Forestburgh

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!