“4 day get-away”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived on a Tuesday and stayed until Fri. I read the reviews before our visit, so I wasn't surprised that the room was somewhat outdated. However, it was clean, neat and well scrubbed. We were in the main hotel and had easy access to everything (pools, dining room, indoor pool, game room,shops (waaay overpriced), etc.) . We enjoyed the Gilded Girls (Dorothys 50th B'day) show very much. The dinner that was served at the show (in the clubhouse) was on par with some weddings that we've attended. From the appy's to dessert it was graciously served by the wait staff. the show was funny, the music good and it was well worth the price.
We were on the MAP meal plan. B'fast and dinner included. Our servers in the main dining room were Maza and Carlos. From the first meal we were served to the final breakfast, we were treated like 'family', by them. They worked so well together. they were friendly, courteous, efficient and totally attentive to all of our needs (including some special dietary needs). They made mealtime such a pleasant experience. All of the surrounding tables that they tended to, had nothing but excellent comments about these 2 guys. I hope their managers are aware of their superior service. They were friendly and social without giving you the feeling that they were "just hunting for a big tip". Very nice guys.
The hotel is mostly geared to 'family' groups, and that's great, but for individual guests, I think there should be more 'adult' activities. There are many daily activities geared toward "families", but most of the amenities are geared toward families with children and teens. If you're there with a large family group, I would say it's a great vacation. Being there with 2 adult couples left a little gap in activities. And since there aren't too many local attractions, you're really locked into hotel activities. Once you visit the few local attractions (Casino,Bethel museum,local shops), you find yourself back at the hotel. it was a nice 4 day respite, but 4 days was more than enough, without family included on the trip.
I do need to agree with previous "reviewer" Dislikedbuttonneeded", that the smell of pot is heavy throughout the building. (I was told by staffers that it was skunk, I know skunk smell and I know pot smell). There were wonderful little critters outside (it IS the mountains!), but the smell inside can't be blamed on the wildlife !

Room Tip: request one that is not near a stairway. kids running up and down til midnight. ask for 'updated...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angel D
There are newer reviews for Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Reviewed 25 July 2014

If it wasn’t for Carol, Terri and Jeanine along with Robert, Gus and Wendy I would not be able to say – WOW we had an amazing time at Villa Roma!!!

From the first time I met Carol, Terri and Jeannine by phone they were nothing be gracious and helpful – answering a million questions always with a smile in their voice. And when I finally got to meet them on July 13th it was like coming home to family – I was greeted with big hugs and “whatever we can do for you just let us know”. No truer statement- when on Sunday evening I experienced a slight problem with my meal. I decided not to share it with my family (to gross them out – as the kids would say) but immediately emailed the ladies – they worked behind the scenes and Sunday’s wait staff immediately came over and was concerned that we were not enjoying our dinner. I chose not to make a big thing about it so that my family would not be upset. When our refrigerator wasn’t working properly or when we blew a fuse a simple phone call and no sooner I hung up the phone someone was there to fix it. These ladies know how to keep families happy and coming back.

On Thursday and Saturday evenings, our dining experience was amazing – Robert and Gus didn’t know what to do to make sure we were satisfied and that my grandchildren were happy with their meals. I am putting in my request for next year to be seated in their section only!

Wendy, what can I say about Wendy, she kept our place immaculate – no request was too much – even when I asked for a few extra chairs – they appeared within minutes.

Aside from the incident that my husband and I had at the Café on Friday morning after waiting for 20 minutes in a near empty café no one came by to take our breakfast order or even offer us a cup of coffee so we got up and left – the entire week was a pleasure. Relaxing for us and fun filled for the grandchildren – couldn’t ask for more.

2  Thank Estrella C
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We are still here at Villa Roma and we are pleasantly surprised. I have to admit after reading some of the reviews as I always do before we travel I was a little concerned. We booked a 2 room suite with a kitchen..we are a family of 5 including 3 children under the age of 16. The room we are in is in the Capri wing. It is relatively new,modern and clean. The hotel staff ranging from the front desk, to food servers and supervisors at the attractions have all been polite and accommodating.We had to call housekeeping for extra towels and dishes and they arrived in just a few minutes..the wifi connection was not working properly at one point and the manager on duty came to our room to try and fix it..when he was unable to he called the service provider.
Two of our children have food allergies and every waiter and food prep person has been informative and helpful.
There are a lot of multi generation families here and yes they do try to "reserve" their pool chairs but while we were at the pool..staff came and removed the towels that had been put down to hold the chairs so others who were actually at the pool could sit. There are an abundance of activities and yes some are smaller then depicted on the website..but they are available and fun for the children.
Over all our stay at Villa Roma has been pleasant and we would certainly consider it again!

Room Tip: The main building is relatively new.
1  Thank newyorkfamily47

Food- ineditable
Cleanliness- bottom of our feet black, even in our room
Value- none. Everything is based on a fee!
Safely- laughable, my credit card was compromised, underage drinking and smell of marijuana everywhere.
I don't understand how people return here, probably out of habit and afraid to travel.
They don't take Amex probably because it's a company which would dispute this horrible vacation on my behalf.
When I tried to get chairs in the shade and they were roped off I asked security why. I was told because 3 families had elderly people with skin cancer. Really?!?? 30 chairs had to be roped off for 4 elderly people with "skin cancer". So upset I wasted our only vacation for this year on this place. And I have noticed that hotel manager writes responses to most of the negative reviews. How about running your hotel instead is trolling the internet!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Dislikebuttonneeded
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your review with us.

We would like to start addressing some of the concerns you raised in your opinion of Villa Roma Resort.

American Express is taken throughout the entire resort and any of the food and beverage outlets we have on our property. You are even able to check in leaving an American Express card on file and pay with the same card upon departure. We are sorry for any inaccuracies that future guests may see from this review regarding American Express, but we wanted to just clarify, yes, we do accept it!

Unfortunately, where Villa Roma Resort is located, we are susceptible to Mother Nature. During the last few weeks, we have encountered a larger then normal skunk population appearing on the resort property. The smell of "Marijuana" you claimed, was very well the scent of these little creatures. We are not saying that this does not happen every once in a while, but are fairly confident, the scent you described was in fact them. We have taken care of the problem with our maintenance team, and safely removed them from property (alive of course!).

We have a dedicated team of housekeepers that take great pride of ensuring all guest rooms are clean and ready to go upon arrival. If there is any issues whatsoever in any guest rooms, a simple phone call to the operator, and any and all issues would be resolved. These valuable members of our team, work hard each and every day to ensure their guests have a clean and comfortable room. We are sorry if you had cleanliness issues in your room, but it is certainly not the norm for Villa Roma Resort.

Villa Roma has been around for over 45 years in its present form. To answer your question, people come back year after year, because this is their vacation home. They have made friends and in some cases, new families at the resort for many years. We have the best guests anyone can ask for, and they are not just people or guests or a dollar sign, they are our family. A family oriented business, for family oriented guests, that's why we are here, we are successful, and guests keep coming back year after year for that reason alone.

Part of my job as the Villa Roma Hotel Manager is to see what our guests are saying online. It provides valuable feedback for us to see what we are doing right, and what we need to improve on. Trip Advisor is a useful tool for any restaurant or hotel that is looking to see their customer feedback. This is not "trolling" this is making myself aware of what we need to improve on. As you had stated, I should be running this hotel, well, this is part of the job.

We understand fully that Villa Roma is not the vacation destination of choice for you and your family. We accept this and completely understand. We hope wherever you may go on your next vacation, we hope it is enjoyable for you and your family. Thanks for sharing your review, we hope we were able to clarify some of your concerns.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just spent two nights here and it was very pleasant. Every staff member we encountered was extremely pleasant, polite and helpful. Our room, a 2-room suite, was large with a full kitchen. It was a bit old and dark, but had the needed amenities for a nice stay. Our meals in the dining room were delicious, hot and served quickly by very nice servers. The dining room was very crowded with a lot of large groups and families so it was loud, but tolerable. When we saw the crowd we were skeptical of how long it would take to be served but we were very pleasantly surprised. We stopped in the lounge for a night cap. Bar tenders were friendly and served good drinks at a reasonable price. There was a band playing and it was a good atmosphere. the lounge itself is a throwback and again, a bit outdated, but it served the purpose. We didn't take advantage of the pools and all there was to do but there was definitely enough activities for everyone, kids and adults as well. They put out a daily list of activities and there is a good variety. We opted to skip the show in the Forum Nightclub as it wasn't what we were looking for, but we did take a walk and checked it out just to see it. As others have said, it definitely needs a freshen up and new look. But again, I guess it serves its purpose. We especially loved the courtesy shuttle bus that took us to the Bethel Woods for a concert. That made things so easy, no parking and driving hassles. Would definitely take advantage of this again should we attend another concert there. Overall we had a very good stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We truly appreciate you taking the time and sharing your vacation experience with us!

First off, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding our staff. Our staff makes what Villa Roma is today. Everyone from housekeeping staff, to our food and beverage staff, all the way up to our management team and ownership appreciate our guests returning year after year, and getting the chance to know them and make them part of the Villa Roma Family.

Our forum night club is certainly one area of the resort we are looking to do a renovation on in the near future. For as many guests that want a change, we have equal amounts that love the look and feel! With that being said, we are looking at a combination of things to redo the room, while keeping some of the past in tact!

We are happy to see you took advantage of the Bethel Woods Package at our resort. This makes it very convenient for our guests to go to their concert, without worrying about parking or having just a little too much to drink and worrying about how to get back home!

We do hope you get to stay with us again here at Villa Roma. Whether you are here for a concert, a weekend away with loved ones, a convention, or the holidays, we have something for you to do all year long. Thank you again for sharing your vacation experience with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I am writing this as I am still at the resort. I may be jaded as we travel at least once a year and always with a large group. This year we are small, just 11 of us, and we always have fun but there really so need to be some improvements to this resort. We booked last minute because this is a year when many if our group could not go anywhere far so a few of us decided to take a quick trip. We were booked into the lodge but after one person in our party checked in and found a 2x4 mounted to the wall with a light bulb( not a fixture) just a bulb that had a cord to be plugged in we knew we needed to request an upgrade. They did show us 1 room suites and give us one complimentary upgrade and a nominal charge for the others and it is definitely an improvement but I do agree with others that the place needs to do some basic upkeep. From blue painters tape on moulding in the dining room to the incredibly old carpet in the Forum it is in need of some TLC. I also feel that the resort is staffed with many young people who are poorly trained. I saw an employee in the coffee shop scoop ice with his bare hands and a female employee suck cannoli filling directly from the tube she just finished filling the cannoli with. The food in the main dining room was ok, they are feeding many people and I found the staff to be polite and gracious. I really wish I could give a better review, it really could be terrific, if some issues were addressed. The pool situation also needs to be evaluated, but that would mean that people need to be kind and not reserve a chair and never arrive to use it.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank dsdgrouptravelpro

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your review with us!

We are sorry to hear you had some slight issues with your originally hotel room, however, happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you in another room.

We had someone at the resort come around and repair some of the wall paper that was damaged over the years, hence the reason you see the blue painters tape around certain areas. These are certainly slated to be taken down by the end of the weekend. Although it could be an eyesore to some, it is difficult to get repairs done when we are in full operation and not affect certain areas. When we do have to do repairs or maintenance, we try to limit where and how much it would affect our guests.

The Forum Night Club is slated to be renovated in the near future. The planning and carpet design for the room is ongoing and we are looking at the most effective way to take the room out of service to complete the job. Although there is no targeted date, this capital project is on the horizon.

The outdoor pool area as you know, is the most popular area of our resort during the summer. Our pool attendants routinely go around the pool decking area to make sure chairs are not being reserved for long periods of time. If at any time you need assistance finding a seat, anyone of the pool attendants in the red shirts will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you again for sharing your review with us, we hope we were able to clarify some of your concerns. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay at Villa Roma Resort!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Going to Villa Roma is really a tale of two worlds; the good is very good and the bad is very bad. The good consists of the main building which was rebuilt after a large fire years ago, the intense family atmosphere and wonderful golf course. Generations of families attend their 'week', its a time to gather with relatives and friends you may not see that often. The pool area is wonderful since the rebuild and plenty of activities for the kids. Teenagers have seemingly taken over the night, so its fun for them as well. The bad is the maintenance, the timeshare rooms are not well kept, carpeting in the hallways is filthy, couches and furniture old and beat up. I saw ripped wallpaper with duct tape over it and the outside deck was only partially stained, areas were just ignored. Light bulbs burnt out on the walkways and in the hallways. As I was told, Villa Roma is not the nicest place to stay, but it's an easy vacation. I wish they maintained the rooms better and respected the time share owners who spend a lot of money in maintenance fees but have little to show for it. The rooms and buildings are just dirty and not well maintained. The large room they do the shows in for decades has never been updated, it still has the same red carpet on the walls for decades and smells like it. That room should have been redone years ago. In general, the newer rebuilt areas are nice..the older areas are neglected. They need to find a balance. Also, drinks are $7.50 per shot...pricey.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your review with us!

We would like to take the opportunity and address your timeshare building. We wholeheartedly apologize if you were in a unit/building that seemed a bit dated. Over the last few years, we have been hard at work renovating buildings during the off season. Due to time constraints, we are only able to get to about 2-3 buildings a year. From the review, it is difficult to tell what exact unit or building you are in, however, towards the end of this, we will provide an option where you can reach out to let us know so we can give you a better idea of when that unit/building will be up for renovation.

The Forum Night Club is one area of the main hotel we are looking at to renovate in the near future. We have heard loud and clear from our guests, that it is now the time to start exploring the options for the nightclub. We are currently in that process now.

Villa Roma is a great place for families to come together and make lifelong memories. For the past 45 years, families have been calling us home. We are proud to say our timeshares are sold out in the summer with guests who have been with us since day one. Today, their kids, and grandchildren are coming to Villa Roma to continue the traditions that have been started a long time ago! This is truly what makes Villa Roma, what we are today!

When you have a chance, please email acarlucci@villaroma.com so we can discuss your unit/building in a little more detail. Thank you again for sharing your review with us, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake
Schrute Farms

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!