We arrived on a Tuesday and stayed until Fri. I read the reviews before our visit, so I wasn't surprised that the room was somewhat outdated. However, it was clean, neat and well scrubbed. We were in the main hotel and had easy access to everything (pools, dining room, indoor pool, game room,shops (waaay overpriced), etc.) . We enjoyed the Gilded Girls (Dorothys 50th B'day) show very much. The dinner that was served at the show (in the clubhouse) was on par with some weddings that we've attended. From the appy's to dessert it was graciously served by the wait staff. the show was funny, the music good and it was well worth the price.
We were on the MAP meal plan. B'fast and dinner included. Our servers in the main dining room were Maza and Carlos. From the first meal we were served to the final breakfast, we were treated like 'family', by them. They worked so well together. they were friendly, courteous, efficient and totally attentive to all of our needs (including some special dietary needs). They made mealtime such a pleasant experience. All of the surrounding tables that they tended to, had nothing but excellent comments about these 2 guys. I hope their managers are aware of their superior service. They were friendly and social without giving you the feeling that they were "just hunting for a big tip". Very nice guys.
The hotel is mostly geared to 'family' groups, and that's great, but for individual guests, I think there should be more 'adult' activities. There are many daily activities geared toward "families", but most of the amenities are geared toward families with children and teens. If you're there with a large family group, I would say it's a great vacation. Being there with 2 adult couples left a little gap in activities. And since there aren't too many local attractions, you're really locked into hotel activities. Once you visit the few local attractions (Casino,Bethel museum,local shops), you find yourself back at the hotel. it was a nice 4 day respite, but 4 days was more than enough, without family included on the trip.
I do need to agree with previous "reviewer" Dislikedbuttonneeded", that the smell of pot is heavy throughout the building. (I was told by staffers that it was skunk, I know skunk smell and I know pot smell). There were wonderful little critters outside (it IS the mountains!), but the smell inside can't be blamed on the wildlife !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center is proud to announce that we have just received the Fodor’s Choice 2010 Award. The Awards are given to the "best of the best," in hotel/resort destinations providing remarkable experiences in price range, destination, or category. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Roma Hotel Callicoon
- Hotel Roma
- Villa Roma Resort And Conference Center Catskill Region, New York - Callicoon