“Great Time”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Too start.Pulled in driveway to valet park and both valets was very friendly as was the front desk.Adressed all our questions with a big smile.the room was perfect,spotless.requested a Refrigator and it was there in minutes.Max and Craig in the main dining room were perfect.all the meals were very good.The western buffet at beechwoods was made perfect by SHERRI.funny,happy,she really gave me the feeling we had a family looking out for our concerns. Had some concerns because of on line reviews,talked to Anthony Carlucci and all were adressed.A Family Resort Run By One BIigFamily. M .Lipari Roslyn

Room Tip: JUST STAY THERE.run like a fine watch.everyone helpfull
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at Villa Roma Wednesday evening through Sunday morning(7/23-27) with my husband and 3 sons. We had a great time! I have to admit that the on-line reviews had us concerned, to say the least, and we found the overwhelming majority of them to be unfounded. Our suite was impeccably clean with 2 bedrooms, a pull out couch,3 flat screen TV's and a HUGE bathroom with a separate shower and soaker tub. We opted for the meal and activity plan which included breakfast and dinner each day. The food was plentiful and the waitstaff was excellent. Natalie was our cocktail server the first 2 nights of our trip, she was friendly, funny and extremely efficient! Luiz and Maxim were our servers for our entire stay and they were both incredible, friendly and beyond excellent! While parts of the resort are dated everything was very clean. The list of activities was endless from organized activities to shuffleboard, bacci, ping pong, horseshoes, lawn games, bowling, pool, can jam, arcade, movies, bingo and shows. We had an excellent trip and will be back!

Room Tip: Book a room in the Capri wing, most updated
1  Thank Katherine M
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We justt returned with our brother and sister after celebrating our anniversaries and a birthday. We live in Orange county so it was an easy travel for us. We booked the 2 bedroom suite. It was accomodating for us two couples, however a bit updated. The one beroom had no night stand which was inconvenient for us. The air conditioning was always freezing that I had to go to the gift shop to purchase a jacket. I personally have been in the travel business in past years and know how properites should be.taken care of. I must say the first evening we ate in the cafe and were throughly dissappointed. Some of us were so hungry so they just ate what was served but said they would never eat there again. The ribeye steak for $26.. was robbery. It was small and so thin and was not cooked as asked. Was like shoe leather. I myself and my brother ordered the fish dish with vegetables. I could not eat it as it had a fishy smell and did not taste good at all. That tells me it was not fresh. I come from a family restaurant background and something like that should not be seved. I complained to the waitress and she took it back and did ask if I would like to order something else. I preferred not to at that time .She did remove it from our bill. The next evening we enjoyed our dinner in the main dining room. Your wait staff and other employees were pretty polite.

I have to say there were some other issues, like people saving lounge chairs in the pool area. My husband went out 8:30 am to get us 4 lounge chairs, no one was there but they were roped off. That is not proper, He is a diabetic and has other health issues so it was difficult to be comfortable in the shaded area we would prefer..Ok after stating all above, Mr C. I have to tell you we are easy going, travel other places a lot and never complain. So as you can see we are disappointed. Not saying that we would never return to VR. It so very convenient for us to travel to and we would like to bring other family with our grandchildren for a stay in the future. We hope things can be rectified as I have mentioned. by the way a nephew of mine living in Dmascus Pa had worked there in the past prior to your unfortunate fire. Thanks for listening.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brandy012014
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived on a Tuesday and stayed until Fri. I read the reviews before our visit, so I wasn't surprised that the room was somewhat outdated. However, it was clean, neat and well scrubbed. We were in the main hotel and had easy access to everything (pools, dining room, indoor pool, game room,shops (waaay overpriced), etc.) . We enjoyed the Gilded Girls (Dorothys 50th B'day) show very much. The dinner that was served at the show (in the clubhouse) was on par with some weddings that we've attended. From the appy's to dessert it was graciously served by the wait staff. the show was funny, the music good and it was well worth the price.
We were on the MAP meal plan. B'fast and dinner included. Our servers in the main dining room were Maza and Carlos. From the first meal we were served to the final breakfast, we were treated like 'family', by them. They worked so well together. they were friendly, courteous, efficient and totally attentive to all of our needs (including some special dietary needs). They made mealtime such a pleasant experience. All of the surrounding tables that they tended to, had nothing but excellent comments about these 2 guys. I hope their managers are aware of their superior service. They were friendly and social without giving you the feeling that they were "just hunting for a big tip". Very nice guys.
The hotel is mostly geared to 'family' groups, and that's great, but for individual guests, I think there should be more 'adult' activities. There are many daily activities geared toward "families", but most of the amenities are geared toward families with children and teens. If you're there with a large family group, I would say it's a great vacation. Being there with 2 adult couples left a little gap in activities. And since there aren't too many local attractions, you're really locked into hotel activities. Once you visit the few local attractions (Casino,Bethel museum,local shops), you find yourself back at the hotel. it was a nice 4 day respite, but 4 days was more than enough, without family included on the trip.
I do need to agree with previous "reviewer" Dislikedbuttonneeded", that the smell of pot is heavy throughout the building. (I was told by staffers that it was skunk, I know skunk smell and I know pot smell). There were wonderful little critters outside (it IS the mountains!), but the smell inside can't be blamed on the wildlife !

Room Tip: request one that is not near a stairway. kids running up and down til midnight. ask for 'updated...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angel D
Reviewed 25 July 2014

If it wasn’t for Carol, Terri and Jeanine along with Robert, Gus and Wendy I would not be able to say – WOW we had an amazing time at Villa Roma!!!

From the first time I met Carol, Terri and Jeannine by phone they were nothing be gracious and helpful – answering a million questions always with a smile in their voice. And when I finally got to meet them on July 13th it was like coming home to family – I was greeted with big hugs and “whatever we can do for you just let us know”. No truer statement- when on Sunday evening I experienced a slight problem with my meal. I decided not to share it with my family (to gross them out – as the kids would say) but immediately emailed the ladies – they worked behind the scenes and Sunday’s wait staff immediately came over and was concerned that we were not enjoying our dinner. I chose not to make a big thing about it so that my family would not be upset. When our refrigerator wasn’t working properly or when we blew a fuse a simple phone call and no sooner I hung up the phone someone was there to fix it. These ladies know how to keep families happy and coming back.

On Thursday and Saturday evenings, our dining experience was amazing – Robert and Gus didn’t know what to do to make sure we were satisfied and that my grandchildren were happy with their meals. I am putting in my request for next year to be seated in their section only!

Wendy, what can I say about Wendy, she kept our place immaculate – no request was too much – even when I asked for a few extra chairs – they appeared within minutes.

Aside from the incident that my husband and I had at the Café on Friday morning after waiting for 20 minutes in a near empty café no one came by to take our breakfast order or even offer us a cup of coffee so we got up and left – the entire week was a pleasure. Relaxing for us and fun filled for the grandchildren – couldn’t ask for more.

2  Thank Estrella C
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We are still here at Villa Roma and we are pleasantly surprised. I have to admit after reading some of the reviews as I always do before we travel I was a little concerned. We booked a 2 room suite with a kitchen..we are a family of 5 including 3 children under the age of 16. The room we are in is in the Capri wing. It is relatively new,modern and clean. The hotel staff ranging from the front desk, to food servers and supervisors at the attractions have all been polite and accommodating.We had to call housekeeping for extra towels and dishes and they arrived in just a few minutes..the wifi connection was not working properly at one point and the manager on duty came to our room to try and fix it..when he was unable to he called the service provider.
Two of our children have food allergies and every waiter and food prep person has been informative and helpful.
There are a lot of multi generation families here and yes they do try to "reserve" their pool chairs but while we were at the pool..staff came and removed the towels that had been put down to hold the chairs so others who were actually at the pool could sit. There are an abundance of activities and yes some are smaller then depicted on the website..but they are available and fun for the children.
Over all our stay at Villa Roma has been pleasant and we would certainly consider it again!

Room Tip: The main building is relatively new.
1  Thank newyorkfamily47
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Food- ineditable
Cleanliness- bottom of our feet black, even in our room
Value- none. Everything is based on a fee!
Safely- laughable, my credit card was compromised, underage drinking and smell of marijuana everywhere.
I don't understand how people return here, probably out of habit and afraid to travel.
They don't take Amex probably because it's a company which would dispute this horrible vacation on my behalf.
When I tried to get chairs in the shade and they were roped off I asked security why. I was told because 3 families had elderly people with skin cancer. Really?!?? 30 chairs had to be roped off for 4 elderly people with "skin cancer". So upset I wasted our only vacation for this year on this place. And I have noticed that hotel manager writes responses to most of the negative reviews. How about running your hotel instead is trolling the internet!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Dislikebuttonneeded
Tony C, Manager at Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your review with us.

We would like to start addressing some of the concerns you raised in your opinion of Villa Roma Resort.

American Express is taken throughout the entire resort and any of the food and beverage outlets we have on our property. You are even able to check in leaving an American Express card on file and pay with the same card upon departure. We are sorry for any inaccuracies that future guests may see from this review regarding American Express, but we wanted to just clarify, yes, we do accept it!

Unfortunately, where Villa Roma Resort is located, we are susceptible to Mother Nature. During the last few weeks, we have encountered a larger then normal skunk population appearing on the resort property. The smell of "Marijuana" you claimed, was very well the scent of these little creatures. We are not saying that this does not happen every once in a while, but are fairly confident, the scent you described was in fact them. We have taken care of the problem with our maintenance team, and safely removed them from property (alive of course!).

We have a dedicated team of housekeepers that take great pride of ensuring all guest rooms are clean and ready to go upon arrival. If there is any issues whatsoever in any guest rooms, a simple phone call to the operator, and any and all issues would be resolved. These valuable members of our team, work hard each and every day to ensure their guests have a clean and comfortable room. We are sorry if you had cleanliness issues in your room, but it is certainly not the norm for Villa Roma Resort.

Villa Roma has been around for over 45 years in its present form. To answer your question, people come back year after year, because this is their vacation home. They have made friends and in some cases, new families at the resort for many years. We have the best guests anyone can ask for, and they are not just people or guests or a dollar sign, they are our family. A family oriented business, for family oriented guests, that's why we are here, we are successful, and guests keep coming back year after year for that reason alone.

Part of my job as the Villa Roma Hotel Manager is to see what our guests are saying online. It provides valuable feedback for us to see what we are doing right, and what we need to improve on. Trip Advisor is a useful tool for any restaurant or hotel that is looking to see their customer feedback. This is not "trolling" this is making myself aware of what we need to improve on. As you had stated, I should be running this hotel, well, this is part of the job.

We understand fully that Villa Roma is not the vacation destination of choice for you and your family. We accept this and completely understand. We hope wherever you may go on your next vacation, we hope it is enjoyable for you and your family. Thanks for sharing your review, we hope we were able to clarify some of your concerns.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake
Schrute Farms

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!