From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, Villa Roma failed to meet every expectation.
1. After reserving our room via telephone with a debit / credit card, the lady at the check-in desk - who acted like she was doing us a favor checking us in anyway - made a huge to-do about us leaving a debit and not a credit card. She was also unfriendly and rude, and made us feel uncomfortable about using a debit card. Had we been told in advance, we could have prepared. In general, the staff was sub-par; a few waitresses in the cafe were the exception, but they were the exception by far. Also I called to confirm two couples' registrations a few days ahead and one reservation had mysteriously disappeared.
2. Lazy staff didn't offer to help us unload our car until I grabbed a luggage cart and was scolded for taking it when only staff can use it. Everyone had their hands out for tips - even the cafe had a basket with a sign reading "tips for take-out for good service." For take-out? Are you kidding?
3. Room we were given was gross. Wires were hanging from the furniture. The paper-thin walls made me uncomfortable from the moment I stepped into the unattractive, not-kitschy-just-icky space. The FIRST bug I killed wasn't that big...
4. ...and the room they moved us to, after I called to inquire about anywhere else to stay, was slightly better, but there was a broken tile in the bathroom that I could have sliced open my foot on, and it was also pretty lackluster. I got sick (NOT Villa Roma's fault at all - 100% not their fault) and stayed in the room on Saturday all day and they were doing CONSTRUCTION on SATURDAY MORNING of a HOLIDAY WEEKEND. When I called the front desk to ask about this, I was told they weren't doing construction. I actually took the phone into the hallway until the girl at the front desk said "Oh my God it's so loud!" Yes I know. It was extremely loud. Seriously? And the SECOND bug I killed was NOT small... nor were subsequent bugs...
5. When I called the front desk and got someone it was a nice surprise. Most of the time the phone auto-hung-up after 3 rings. Same thing for the automatic wake-up call. The real wake-up calls came 50% of the time.
6. At Gelato Bar, after making eye contact with two different employees, I finally had to ask "Can I place an order?" before anyone looked up at me. How hard is it to say "We'll be right with you?" I wasn't 100% sure they were open. Also, after twice directing her to the pasty I wanted ("the one in the front row, with the cinnamon on top" and then actually pointing) I gave up because, is it possible to hold down a job and be that stupid?
7. When the valet brought my car around he had a friend in the front seat. Now I don't really care, but that's pretty unprofessional in my book!
8. EVERYTHING COSTS EXTRA! Even if it's only $5 here or $10 there, it adds up! Even if you're on the meal plan, lots of things are NOT included! I couldn't believe how expensive everything ended up being.
9. I showered before dinner, put my hair up in a towel, and got dressed. When I let down my hair to comb it, it was so knotty I actually had to get undressed and shower again. This strange situation was confirmed with another person - both of us left half of our hair in the trash can. Disgusting. I don't know if this is "hard water" or whatever, but it wasn't our hair (I have straight, uncolored, untreated hair which never does anything weird) and it was gross. I would never go back by virtue of this alone - and it wasn't the chlorine either. So icky!
Stay anywhere else. Ugh. GROSS!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center is proud to announce that we have just received the Fodor’s Choice 2010 Award. The Awards are given to the "best of the best," in hotel/resort destinations providing remarkable experiences in price range, destination, or category. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Roma Hotel Callicoon
- Hotel Roma
- Villa Roma Resort And Conference Center Catskill Region, New York - Callicoon