“Stay anywhere else.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
New York City, New York
“Stay anywhere else.”
Reviewed 2 June 2010

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, Villa Roma failed to meet every expectation.
1. After reserving our room via telephone with a debit / credit card, the lady at the check-in desk - who acted like she was doing us a favor checking us in anyway - made a huge to-do about us leaving a debit and not a credit card. She was also unfriendly and rude, and made us feel uncomfortable about using a debit card. Had we been told in advance, we could have prepared. In general, the staff was sub-par; a few waitresses in the cafe were the exception, but they were the exception by far. Also I called to confirm two couples' registrations a few days ahead and one reservation had mysteriously disappeared.
2. Lazy staff didn't offer to help us unload our car until I grabbed a luggage cart and was scolded for taking it when only staff can use it. Everyone had their hands out for tips - even the cafe had a basket with a sign reading "tips for take-out for good service." For take-out? Are you kidding?
3. Room we were given was gross. Wires were hanging from the furniture. The paper-thin walls made me uncomfortable from the moment I stepped into the unattractive, not-kitschy-just-icky space. The FIRST bug I killed wasn't that big...
4. ...and the room they moved us to, after I called to inquire about anywhere else to stay, was slightly better, but there was a broken tile in the bathroom that I could have sliced open my foot on, and it was also pretty lackluster. I got sick (NOT Villa Roma's fault at all - 100% not their fault) and stayed in the room on Saturday all day and they were doing CONSTRUCTION on SATURDAY MORNING of a HOLIDAY WEEKEND. When I called the front desk to ask about this, I was told they weren't doing construction. I actually took the phone into the hallway until the girl at the front desk said "Oh my God it's so loud!" Yes I know. It was extremely loud. Seriously? And the SECOND bug I killed was NOT small... nor were subsequent bugs...
5. When I called the front desk and got someone it was a nice surprise. Most of the time the phone auto-hung-up after 3 rings. Same thing for the automatic wake-up call. The real wake-up calls came 50% of the time.
6. At Gelato Bar, after making eye contact with two different employees, I finally had to ask "Can I place an order?" before anyone looked up at me. How hard is it to say "We'll be right with you?" I wasn't 100% sure they were open. Also, after twice directing her to the pasty I wanted ("the one in the front row, with the cinnamon on top" and then actually pointing) I gave up because, is it possible to hold down a job and be that stupid?
7. When the valet brought my car around he had a friend in the front seat. Now I don't really care, but that's pretty unprofessional in my book!
8. EVERYTHING COSTS EXTRA! Even if it's only $5 here or $10 there, it adds up! Even if you're on the meal plan, lots of things are NOT included! I couldn't believe how expensive everything ended up being.
9. I showered before dinner, put my hair up in a towel, and got dressed. When I let down my hair to comb it, it was so knotty I actually had to get undressed and shower again. This strange situation was confirmed with another person - both of us left half of our hair in the trash can. Disgusting. I don't know if this is "hard water" or whatever, but it wasn't our hair (I have straight, uncolored, untreated hair which never does anything weird) and it was gross. I would never go back by virtue of this alone - and it wasn't the chlorine either. So icky!
Stay anywhere else. Ugh. GROSS!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AudsInLIC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
North Salem, NY
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We had a special family occasion/reunion at the Villa Roma, and no one was disappointed! The staff -- from sales & reservations managers to clerks to wait staff -- were efficient and pleasant. The food was remarkable for a resort hotel of that size. The facilities were in top condition, the rooms clean and spacious. The Villa Roma may be a bit remote, and there are certainly less expensive places to stay, but a weekend visit is definitely worth the trip and expense. It was truly a memorable occasion for us, and we'll be back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank JeffHNorthSalem_NY
Carbondale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Spent the weekend at the Villa Roma last week. Rooms are spacious with modern amenities and very clean. Staff was very very professional and friendly. Restaurants and lounges were great.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashok_10
Roscoe, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Great Weekend. The staff was there to greet us as they took our bags and valet the car. I started to relax almost immediately. Our dinning was Fine and our suite was amazing, I strong suggest booking a suite. Probably one of the best golf courses I have played.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McDorcas
stroudsburg, pa
Reviewed 12 May 2010

When my daughter and I made reservations at The Villa Roma for a weekend of concert attendance we viewed the website and saw a nice facility with several amenities. Upon arrival we were met instantly by a courteous, friendly valet attendant.
The front desk registration was fast and efficient, as was the check-out, billing etc. Knowing we were having meals in the package I anticipated slow and unattentive service from the waitstaff. Nothing could have been further from the truth; the servers were cordial, attentive, professional and quick in their service. The meals offered great choice in meals with abundant portions and flavorful enjoyable meals at every sitting.
The amenities were superb.The indoor game room and arcade occupied my daughters time when i wasn't available and provided quality "bonding" time when we enjoyed the ping pong, pool tables and arcades again. We enjoyed use of the gym, and should have brought our raquetball raquets to enjoy one of the 3 courts available to us.
The golf course was in excellent condition, but provided a real challenge to this 100+ stroke player. We look forward to returning in warmer weather when the bumper boats and go carts are available. Maybe in winter for skiing too.
Would I recommend The Villa Roma to friends and family? I already have. Try it for yourself and look forward to a great relaxing stay at a clean quality Hotel and Conference Center.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I gave a bus day trip for over 40 of my friends, and they had the best time ever. Judy Sigel helped me to put everything together and it couldn't turned out better. All of our needs were accommodated. The rooms were big and clean,the food was great, the spa service was outstanding, there were many activities and the price for the package was very reasonable. Will be back next year June.

Stayed April 2010
Middletown, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I brought my wife up on Easter Sunday Dinner with some close family members of ours that live in the area of the resort. Needless to say they never ate at the Villa Roma even though they lived so close. When we came to the hotel, we were amazed on how big the main bulidng was and how elegant the lobby was. It is definetly breathtaking. The valet outside was courteous and told us exactly where we needed to go for dinner. They even parked our car and we werent even staying over!!! When we got in to the dining room we coudnt believe how big it was. Our waiters were great, the dining room hostess was nice and polite, and the chef in the kitchen did a magnificent job. This was an eye opener for our family who lives 10 minutes from the hotel and never ate here. We will definetly be back and thank everyone at the hotel for making Easter Dinner a memorable one!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Best Western Monticello
Schrute Farms
Days Inn Liberty
Days Inn Liberty
#1 of 3 in Liberty

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!