“Spotty at Best”

Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callicoon
Reviewed 9 June 2010

It's hard to mess up a resort in one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the United States, but the Villa Roma happened to achieve that. We stayed in a timeshare "suite" whose style was so outdated even my grandmother would be appalled. Pink formica kitchen, pink formica on the bedroom walls, with tacky tapestries to boot. The timeshare folk are the dorky red-haired little brothers to the actual hotel guests - no complimentary shampoo, no dressers, only extra fees for all.

Beware if you receive a message on your phone claiming a "free breakfast" in the hotel dining room - as soon as the clock strikes 10:30 the doors lock and you're in for a timeshare spiel laden with corny jokes and mispronunciations of well-known cities. Let me reiterate - nothing at this place is free [aside from bocce ball and shuffleboard] and possibly besides the pool there is little to do. Meal plans are overpriced for little quality of food, so one must rely on the nearby towns of Jeffersonville and Callicoon to pick up the slack on restaurants and grocery stores.

The location is the only saving grace of this joint. An hour drive north takes you into Catskill National Park filled with amazing hiking trails and beautiful views [especially a trek up Slide Mountain] - this made the trip worth it. The quality of recreation within the resort is on par with the quality of the rooms [i.e. remote controls with the batteries duct taped, stained carpets, and stray cats staring back at you through the sliding glass doors]. Bring your own tennis balls, you'll be charged. So come to the Villa Roma if you've already given up or lowered the bar below your knees for what to expect out of rural vacations. You deserve better.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank ClaudettePeterson
There are newer reviews for Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Reviewed 2 June 2010

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, Villa Roma failed to meet every expectation.
1. After reserving our room via telephone with a debit / credit card, the lady at the check-in desk - who acted like she was doing us a favor checking us in anyway - made a huge to-do about us leaving a debit and not a credit card. She was also unfriendly and rude, and made us feel uncomfortable about using a debit card. Had we been told in advance, we could have prepared. In general, the staff was sub-par; a few waitresses in the cafe were the exception, but they were the exception by far. Also I called to confirm two couples' registrations a few days ahead and one reservation had mysteriously disappeared.
2. Lazy staff didn't offer to help us unload our car until I grabbed a luggage cart and was scolded for taking it when only staff can use it. Everyone had their hands out for tips - even the cafe had a basket with a sign reading "tips for take-out for good service." For take-out? Are you kidding?
3. Room we were given was gross. Wires were hanging from the furniture. The paper-thin walls made me uncomfortable from the moment I stepped into the unattractive, not-kitschy-just-icky space. The FIRST bug I killed wasn't that big...
4. ...and the room they moved us to, after I called to inquire about anywhere else to stay, was slightly better, but there was a broken tile in the bathroom that I could have sliced open my foot on, and it was also pretty lackluster. I got sick (NOT Villa Roma's fault at all - 100% not their fault) and stayed in the room on Saturday all day and they were doing CONSTRUCTION on SATURDAY MORNING of a HOLIDAY WEEKEND. When I called the front desk to ask about this, I was told they weren't doing construction. I actually took the phone into the hallway until the girl at the front desk said "Oh my God it's so loud!" Yes I know. It was extremely loud. Seriously? And the SECOND bug I killed was NOT small... nor were subsequent bugs...
5. When I called the front desk and got someone it was a nice surprise. Most of the time the phone auto-hung-up after 3 rings. Same thing for the automatic wake-up call. The real wake-up calls came 50% of the time.
6. At Gelato Bar, after making eye contact with two different employees, I finally had to ask "Can I place an order?" before anyone looked up at me. How hard is it to say "We'll be right with you?" I wasn't 100% sure they were open. Also, after twice directing her to the pasty I wanted ("the one in the front row, with the cinnamon on top" and then actually pointing) I gave up because, is it possible to hold down a job and be that stupid?
7. When the valet brought my car around he had a friend in the front seat. Now I don't really care, but that's pretty unprofessional in my book!
8. EVERYTHING COSTS EXTRA! Even if it's only $5 here or $10 there, it adds up! Even if you're on the meal plan, lots of things are NOT included! I couldn't believe how expensive everything ended up being.
9. I showered before dinner, put my hair up in a towel, and got dressed. When I let down my hair to comb it, it was so knotty I actually had to get undressed and shower again. This strange situation was confirmed with another person - both of us left half of our hair in the trash can. Disgusting. I don't know if this is "hard water" or whatever, but it wasn't our hair (I have straight, uncolored, untreated hair which never does anything weird) and it was gross. I would never go back by virtue of this alone - and it wasn't the chlorine either. So icky!
Stay anywhere else. Ugh. GROSS!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AudsInLIC
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We had a special family occasion/reunion at the Villa Roma, and no one was disappointed! The staff -- from sales & reservations managers to clerks to wait staff -- were efficient and pleasant. The food was remarkable for a resort hotel of that size. The facilities were in top condition, the rooms clean and spacious. The Villa Roma may be a bit remote, and there are certainly less expensive places to stay, but a weekend visit is definitely worth the trip and expense. It was truly a memorable occasion for us, and we'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank JeffHNorthSalem_NY
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Spent the weekend at the Villa Roma last week. Rooms are spacious with modern amenities and very clean. Staff was very very professional and friendly. Restaurants and lounges were great.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Ashok_10
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Great Weekend. The staff was there to greet us as they took our bags and valet the car. I started to relax almost immediately. Our dinning was Fine and our suite was amazing, I strong suggest booking a suite. Probably one of the best golf courses I have played.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McDorcas
Reviewed 12 May 2010

When my daughter and I made reservations at The Villa Roma for a weekend of concert attendance we viewed the website and saw a nice facility with several amenities. Upon arrival we were met instantly by a courteous, friendly valet attendant.
The front desk registration was fast and efficient, as was the check-out, billing etc. Knowing we were having meals in the package I anticipated slow and unattentive service from the waitstaff. Nothing could have been further from the truth; the servers were cordial, attentive, professional and quick in their service. The meals offered great choice in meals with abundant portions and flavorful enjoyable meals at every sitting.
The amenities were superb.The indoor game room and arcade occupied my daughters time when i wasn't available and provided quality "bonding" time when we enjoyed the ping pong, pool tables and arcades again. We enjoyed use of the gym, and should have brought our raquetball raquets to enjoy one of the 3 courts available to us.
The golf course was in excellent condition, but provided a real challenge to this 100+ stroke player. We look forward to returning in warmer weather when the bumper boats and go carts are available. Maybe in winter for skiing too.
Would I recommend The Villa Roma to friends and family? I already have. Try it for yourself and look forward to a great relaxing stay at a clean quality Hotel and Conference Center.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I gave a bus day trip for over 40 of my friends, and they had the best time ever. Judy Sigel helped me to put everything together and it couldn't turned out better. All of our needs were accommodated. The rooms were big and clean,the food was great, the spa service was outstanding, there were many activities and the price for the package was very reasonable. Will be back next year June.

Stayed: April 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callicoon
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
Kenoza Lake View Manor
Kenoza Lake View Manor
#1 of 1 in Kenoza Lake
Schrute Farms

Been to Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!