It's hard to mess up a resort in one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the United States, but the Villa Roma happened to achieve that. We stayed in a timeshare "suite" whose style was so outdated even my grandmother would be appalled. Pink formica kitchen, pink formica on the bedroom walls, with tacky tapestries to boot. The timeshare folk are the dorky red-haired little brothers to the actual hotel guests - no complimentary shampoo, no dressers, only extra fees for all.
Beware if you receive a message on your phone claiming a "free breakfast" in the hotel dining room - as soon as the clock strikes 10:30 the doors lock and you're in for a timeshare spiel laden with corny jokes and mispronunciations of well-known cities. Let me reiterate - nothing at this place is free [aside from bocce ball and shuffleboard] and possibly besides the pool there is little to do. Meal plans are overpriced for little quality of food, so one must rely on the nearby towns of Jeffersonville and Callicoon to pick up the slack on restaurants and grocery stores.
The location is the only saving grace of this joint. An hour drive north takes you into Catskill National Park filled with amazing hiking trails and beautiful views [especially a trek up Slide Mountain] - this made the trip worth it. The quality of recreation within the resort is on par with the quality of the rooms [i.e. remote controls with the batteries duct taped, stained carpets, and stray cats staring back at you through the sliding glass doors]. Bring your own tennis balls, you'll be charged. So come to the Villa Roma if you've already given up or lowered the bar below your knees for what to expect out of rural vacations. You deserve better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center is proud to announce that we have just received the Fodor’s Choice 2010 Award. The Awards are given to the "best of the best," in hotel/resort destinations providing remarkable experiences in price range, destination, or category. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Roma Hotel Callicoon
- Hotel Roma
- Villa Roma Resort And Conference Center Catskill Region, New York - Callicoon