“Good for one night !”

Berkshire Travel Lodge
Horseheads, New York
“Good for one night !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was desperately tired ..room was ok ..nothing special but the price was right ..Gentleman who checked us in was super nice .but the man in the morning was not so nice ..no breakfast ? Room was small but served its purpose

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa Michele C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Montgomery
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We're finishing (we'll check out in an hour) a two day stay and we're feeling good about rating the Berkshire Travel Lodge as very good.

The Positive:
Although the highway is in view and mildly audible, if you just raise your eyes, the view is very nice. There are deck chairs available to use outside, and across the parking area are porch-like overlooks with table and seating. Come in season and you'll find the spring/summer green or the colors of autumn relaxing.

We're in room 109 which has two beds and appears to have been recently renovated. Contains microwave, fridge, and grab bars. It's roomy and it's pleasant, and larger than most rooms I've experienced at affordable lodging. The climate control unit is very quiet. Very clean too.

Enjoyed interacting with the manager/owner as well. I did read some of the other reviews that had a different opinion. I've found that if you treat people the way you'd like to be treated, you'll usually not be disappointed. Our experience was good.

Coffee and something to nosh (english muffin, bagel, donut or mini-muffin) are nice to have available in the morning. If you also want a hot breakfast, there are several small establishments on the main street in Chatham. Maybe in Canaan too, but we didn't check.

Lastly, have you checked the cost of staying in this area? This location provides a good value, especially if you're mostly interested in enjoying the area. Fancy accommodations are also available here, but will naturally cost more.

The Negative
Those of you particularly sensitive to odors may have a mild issue. When we would first enter the room at the end of our day we would sense a residual cleaning material odor. Kind of like the old Lysol liquid for those of you old enough to recognize that reference. Airing out the room for a couple of minutes was very helpful. Did I mention that this room was quite clean.

If you need a larger TV when you travel, ask for an appropriate room. We were too busy to try the 20 incher in our room.

Do you want me to nitpick? No clock, except on the microwave. Then again, do you really want to wake up on firm schedule while you're here? And don't all our cellphones provide that feature. It wasn't an issue for us at all.

A negative turned into a positive.
For one reason or another, our first morning here coffee was available but a nosh was not. Certainly not a big deal. For the following morning the manager/owner specifically contacted us to let us know that everything was available. A very nice gesture.

Bottom line.
We'd have no problem returning here again and recommending it to people who want to enjoy the peace and country charm available in the Berkshires at an affordable price.

Room Tip: Do you have a desire for a larger tv, two beds, grab bars? Call and ask if the appropriate room is a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I spent one night here on our way to Boston. The location was convenient as it was right off I 90. Other than that the bed was like a rock and I used a sweater under my head instead of the pillow. The bathroom was pretty beat up looking and there were cob webs here and there. No chain locks for the door so we put a chair under the knob. I think I would skip this place on my next trip.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Canaan hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I recently spent 4 nights at the Berkshire Travel Lodge. I was staying there for work. The room was clean and warm. It had a decent size fridge and a microwave. It is very noisy sitting up above the highway and the train comes through at least twice a night. The breakfast was ok and quick...because I was the only person at the motel for 2 nights.The shower was horrible. It took me 5 minutes just to get my body wet. The bed was as hard as a rock. I think my hips were bruised from rolling over by the time I left. It would be ok for one night if you were passing through but it certainly is not a "destination"

Room Tip: Keep traveling down the road if you have a choice
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights over Labor Day weekend when most other places were charging $250+. We had a family event and needed 4 or 5 rooms. This was reasonable. Not fancy or "special" but just fine - rooms were clean, adequate, and office was informative and helpful. View is gorgeous and there are sitting areas to enjoy it while having morning coffee. Property is located just above the Thruway as you're approaching the Mass Pike - not tucked away, but quiet non-the-less.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank coatofmanycolors
Barker, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My mistake. Should have inspected before I paid. Had always assumed "Travel Lodge" was equivalent to a "Holiday Inn" .....was I wrong. The room was dirty. I wouldn't walk on the carpet in bare feet. The room had a strong odor of mold, found it very hard to fall asleep. Glad I brought some Vick's with me. I place a small swipe under my nose to help deal with the heavy odor. Bathroom was dirty and extremely small. Window wouldn't open to air out the stench. Spider web's galore. Without a doubt, the absolute worse place I ever stayed. The only plus was the breakfast. They had hot coffee, fruit, muffnes, ceral, toast, and bagels. Needless to say, I wouldn't stay here for the food. The management team were in a room adjacent to the breakfast area, we could hear them speaking a foreigh dialect.....my guess somewhere from the Middle East. (not that it matters) Gladly show my paid receipt.

Room Tip: Inspect before you pay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Augie7-11
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here in august when i was going to tanglewood. The motel is very close to it which is always a plus! I stayed in a double queen bed room and i have no complaints! The bathroom was clean and the room had everything i needed in general. The motel provides breakfast with bagels, donuts and delicious coffee! Its right off the highway so i recommend people to stay who are passing by looking for a motel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sam l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canaan
The Red Lion Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 14 in Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Pleasant Valley Motel West Stockbridge
Pleasant Valley Motel West Stock...
#1 of 1 in West Stockbridge
Shaker Mill Inn
Shaker Mill Inn
#1 of 1 in West Stockbridge

Been to Berkshire Travel Lodge? Share your experiences!