“Slightly improved service.”

Add it.
The Blackbird Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Eclectic bistro/cafe, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a focus on fresh, local, and seasonal. Menus change frequently. Vegan and vegetarian friendly, many gluten free options. Great beer and wine list, and the best coffee in town. Great historic ambiance.
Stockton, New Jersey
“Slightly improved service.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went for dinner on a recent Saturday evening. First- the food is good. I had salmon, others in my party had chicken. No complaints about the food. Some good local beer on tap. Love the locavore aspect. This delightful little place can really go up to the next level with a few more waiters and a once-over of the rooms. The bathroom needs a little better upkeep.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Janice H

Ottawa, Canada
“Lunch”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Recently stopped in for lunch while visiting upstate New York. We ordered 2 grilled paninis - the Toboggan and the Roast with a side of pasta salad and a mineral water total with tip $20.00. The sandwiches were good; the pasta salad was the equivalent of 2 tablespoons - nothing spectacular. The glasses on the sideboard were dirty - lip stains - finger prints, simply gross... my fork arrived dirty and under the sandwhich - when I mentioned this to the waitress - she replied it was probably used to sccop your salad into the container.... uh no... as the salads where in the fridge behind her already prepped and in the containers... this really put me off - I ate the half of sandwich that had not touched the fork. The place is quaint but they really need to pay attention to silverware and glasses. I would not go out of my way to return here.

• Visited April 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent food in Compact Place”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This restaurant would be five stars on food alone and service is quite good. All five folks at our table were pleased with their food, ranging from locally raised pork to seafood. They have excellent local beer on tap. The downside is that the restaurant is small and not all that comfortable. Yes, we will go back there to eat. Probably the best restaurant in Canton, a sleepy little college town.

• Visited February 2014
Stockton, New Jersey
“Cute; has lots of potential.”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is the second time I have dined at the Blackbird Cafe. The prior experience was a lunch during a hectic busy weekend for the area due to several events at the nearby colleges. This time we had dinner on a steady but not busy Saturday evening.
First, the location is great: right on the main drag in Canton on a corner near St. Lawrence University. The cafe is in an old building with many interesting and pleasing architectural features. The menu is interesting- you can have meatballs and fettucine as well as falafel, which is what we chose at this recent visit. There's a decent selection of beer and wine appropriate for an establishment of this size, including some great locally brewed beer on tap, which was very good.
The meatballs, made from local beef, needed something, maybe even a few things. I might be a harsh critic because I grew up in an Italian neighborhood and have Italian relatives who are heavenly cooks, so bear that in mind. To sum it up, the meatballs were meat balls, lacking of spice and flavor. The sauce, I am sorry to say, was awful; I actually thought it was watered down ketchup. It was way too sweet and otherwise flat, and tasted like, well, watered down ketchup. The fettucine was cooked to perfection and tasty.
My falafel dish was very good. It was served on greens and flatbread with a pepper chutney. The falafel consisted of nicely spiced patties containing whole and ground chickpeas, and were browned and seasoned nicely. Both my husband's and my salads were excellent: young mixed greens perfectly dressed in a balsamic vinaigrette.
The servers on this recent trip were all young men who seemed to be newbies. At our prior visit for lunch the servers all were female who seemed much more experienced. For instance, we asked our male server at this past visit what the soup of the day was, what beers were on tap, and if there were any daily specials. He had to walk to the front desk three times to obtain the information to those answers, which were probably asked several times each shift. I hope this was just something they were trying for dinner, because the service was much worse this time around. At our prior visit during a busy weekend lunchtime, the ladies had it under control despite the hectic crowd.
We will be returning in May, so I hope things improve a bit by then.

• Visited January 2014
Port Leyden
“Had two terrific meals here.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The sandwiches and salads are very fresh, tasty and original. Had a slice of lemon cake that was "to die for". I would eat here every time I went thru Canton !!

• Visited November 2012