“An Old Gentlemen's Club”
Review of The Club

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Club
Ranked #7 of 30 Restaurants in Canton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A decent pub in an old house
Rainbow Lake, New York, United States
“An Old Gentlemen's Club”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

In days gone by, this restaurant was a Gentlemen's Club. There is a bowling alley in the basement and a spacious dancehall. The bar is roomy and the ceilings are made of tin. These days, the establishment is a great eatery. We stopped for lunch and enjoyed the salad and French Onion Soup. There is a great beer selection and the interior decor has the distinct character of the late 19th century.
The food was nicely prepared, the service was fast and friendly.

• Visited April 2014

Canton
“poor quality food”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

There were 4 of us for dinner and everyone ordered something different. Every meal was of poor to average quality. In particular the steak was small and very tough. It was the weekend before New Years and the restaurant was fairly empty. It was very cold in the dining room. We complained and was told that the staff was not allowed to increase the heat. We ended up wearing our coats during the dinner.

1 Thank Joann P
Remsen
“Ok in the middle of the week for dinner”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was in town on business on Thursday night and wanted a meal that was gluten free - knowing that I'd have to scrutinize the menu choices. I came to The Club about 6:30PM for dinner. I was offered seating in the bar area or the dining area. Since I could see the bar area - with numerous little tables and TVs above the bar, I thought the dining area would be quieter. The dining area though is a large open room with numerous larger tables - no booths nor interior walls - so eating by myself seemed very public. The menu had numerous choices so I went with a steak - which was cooked medium as I wanted but I could have cooked it better with some seasoning to make it much better. The small salad I has was good but costs extra. I still had a good meal for around $20. The 3 wait staff that I saw seemed very busy but were often not in the dining room area to be seen. Don't know if they help with food prep as well or not. After getting my 'bill' I waited about 5 minutes to use my credit card to pay but noone came back. Customer-wise it didn't seem that busy. I had spent enough time by then and finally decided to pay with cash. I had just enough for the bill and tip --- and just left the cash in the folder with the bill and didn't look back.

Canton, New York
“Nasty”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Undercooked food and slow service. I'll be surprised if I don't end up sick. Even when I've had bad service I've always left a 20% tip, just never gone back. The woman waiting on us was lucky that I left her a 10% tip. Everything was horrible!

Potsdam, New York
“Mouth-watering French Dip”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I went to the The Club as it was conveniently near the courthouse. The waitress recommended the French Connection, so I ordered it along with sweet potato fries. It was the best French dip I have ever had, incredibly tender and tasty. It was so good I went back the next day and ordered the very same thing, with the same great result. Many other items on the menu looked tempting, including an almond-encrusted Brie for an appetizer, big salads, and French onion soup. The burgers and pesto chicken are also good, according to my second waitress. When I am in an unfamiliar restaurant I find it helpful to ask the waiters what they like best. I wish I could eat there more often, but I will be sure to go there when I am in Canton. The restaurant is in an historic old house, and it is beautiful and comfortable. The atmosphere is welcoming, and the staff efficient and friendly. They offer many specials according to the day of the week, such as "kids eat free" or "half-price appetizers" - it would be worth checking out the details.

• Visited November 2013