“Very nice”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Canton
NY
“Very nice”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Spent one night at the Comfort Suites while visiting my daughter at SUNY Potsdam. After reading many reviews, I was hesitant about staying there, however, once I checked in and saw the room, I was quite satisfied. The room itself is quite large. It was a cool, rainy night when we checked in, but the room was warm and cozy. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was a welcome relief after being out all day. My only minor complaint is I wished that the pillows were 2 large pillows instead of 4 small squares. Breakfast was delicious and the breakfast area was well stocked and maintained by the staff. I would not hesitate to stay there again and look forward to returning on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Willington, CT, USA
Reviewed 17 September 2013

relatively clean, comfortable rooms although somewhat dark.
sofa beds in both of the rooms we used were not functioning. we did not need them - just noticed that. Also, sofa cushions had tears in the upholstery.
basic room, not much in the way of amenities that differe from an econolodge for example, but twice the price, and perhaps a more convenient location.
free, hot breakfast was a nice touch, although nothing but basic fare there too.
If I were in the area and needed accommodation, I would not hesitate to stay again, but I'd look for something a bit brighter and up to date

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We've stayed at this hotel about three times so far during our daughter's stint as a student at nearby SLU. It feels like every experience here gets just a little bit worse. The staff are nice, but the hotel needs serious upkeep and there's no sign it'll get it. We had our first indication last night pulling into the hotel parking lot and seeing weeds overtaking the gardens. I didn't think twice about it until after we got to our room and started seeing all the things that were broken down. The pull out sofa doesn't pull out--a big sign on it that you can only see once you pull the seat cushions off, "Do not use." There were no spare blankets and one spare pillow in the room so we had to call down to the desk to get extra blankets. "I'll see if we have any," was the response. (Fortunately they did, but a little more positivity in the answer would've been welcome.) The overhead light in the nook with the non-pull-out-sofa stopped working in the morning, and the sink next to the microwave only ran a trickle. The bed was a little on the hard side for me but that's personal preference. This is a hotel that was good when it was built but has had very little done in the way of upkeep since. I understand it's got to be hard to keep a business solvent in this area with such seasonal traffic, but they're going to lose even more business if they don't put money back into the rooms. I'll only stay here again if I can't get in anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you need the pull-out sofa, make sure you ask when making reservations that you get a room with a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Canton hotels

Lynbrook, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had a terrific stay at this Comfort Suites. We took our son to see SUNY Potsdam and Canton is very close to the school. The service and amenities were very nice for a reasonably priced hotel. It included breakfast, so that is very helpful to us particularly when we have to be someplace very early.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Only stayed here one night, but facilities were great....nice, large suite, very clean surroundings, quiet, Desk staff very helpful and courteous. The complimentary breakfast was well above average for what usually is offered in similar hotels. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Queensbury
Reviewed 12 July 2013

At first approach, this hotel has a well appointed appearance. That is, until you pull into the driveway. The parking lot/driveway area is laden with potholes, missing pavement, uneven surfaces, and weeds growing through the cracks. Surely a suspension killer. The lobby area which includes the breakfast area is set-up nicely, and, that is where the ownership spends their money.The hallway as we got off the elevator smelled like cat urine. The room I had was on the third floor and had a large ugly water stain on the ceiling. The wallpaper in the room was blistered and peeling near the window and climate control unit. The bathroom is poorly lit and the only way to brighten it is to use the heat lamp in the bathroom. The closet doors/mirrors were off their tracks and we were unable to get them right. Water pressure for your shower...forget about it. While I hate to offer negative ratings on a hotel, this was my 2nd stay and both stays were comparably bad. This Comfort Suites needs an upgrade.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before it is appointed to you.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Even with my AAA discount the hotel was a bit pricey for a mediocre hotel. But it wasn't horrible. The room was clean and the wifi worked and there were eggs for breakfast. But the AC smelled pretty bad when I turned it on, it was a bit noisy, front desk staff were not overly helpful (but they weren't rude), and the workout room was closed for repairs. So I guess I will just say it was overpriced but not horrible.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the highway are probably quieter. Turn on the AC and leave for a while and the smel...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canton
Best Western University Inn
#1 of 5 in Ogdensburg
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 7 in Massena

Been to University Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!