“Extremely dirty, bad service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Vincent
The Roxy - Hotel, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 4 Cape Vincent B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I never write reviews but I obligated because the hotel room was so gross. I would never stay here again. No one should stay here!! Find another hotel. The room was not cleaned. It looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. The sheets were dirty and the bed was not made well. They definitely don't change the bedding in between guests. The bathroom was dirty. There was used soap in the shower, the floor was disgusting and there was no garbage can. I had to ask for a garbage can. There wasn't even a glass in the room to drink water from the sink. Find another hotel since the Roxy does not seem to care about cleanliness or customer service.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Should have been a red flag when I checked in and they did not expect me until the next day despite the required prepay of one night. Room was 84 degrees as someone left the heat on. Housekeeping didn't notice? Our room had windows that opened to a deck. Loud kids up late on deck. Very small room. Shower felt like you would fall thru the floor as there was nothing under it supporting it. Bed has no box spring and is very hard. No extra pillows. No where to sit except bed. Came back to room 2nd night and it was never cleaned!! Front door is taped open, front desk not manned and keys clearly in sight. Huge safety concern. No hair dryer in room says to go to desk to get one. Went to unmanned desk and grabbed one from behind counter. It is obvious they put a lot of money in fixtures and furnishings, too bad they don't know how to run it. Owner offered me a deal to come back but I told him that would not be happening.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We made our reservations back in May knowing we would be attending the nearby boat show at the Clayton Museum. My husband and I brought three other people with us. Renting three rooms. Upon arrival we were taken to our room. It was filthy. The sheets, bedding was untucked, wrinkled as though someone had just slept in it. Eeuuuooo! The toilet was obviously NOT cleaned visible at first glance and a used piece of a bar of soup was on the shelf in the shower. Splats of something was on the bathroom floor around the toilet. The sink was poorly wiped down and one of the washcloths looked as though there was mascara on it. We had no place else to stay, told the kid at the desk that our room was obviously not made up yet... We went to our show came back several hours later. Someone had cleaned the toilet, tucked in our sheets. Did not clean the room...big spots on the rug will never go back. One of our guests had no sheets on his bed when he checked in.and the other room had used soap in the shower and a dirty toilet. They had to find the cleaning cart and took a blanket off it cause there was none in the room. One guy ordered a fish fry at the bar and it took him over an hour to get it! He was the only customer in the place at the time.,, what the heck? I have nominated this hotel for the show Hotel Hell with Gordon
Ramsey. Aside from the Friday night partying that went on out on the deck until 3:30 am, it was a disaster. Too bad, there is no one running this place but two guys who couldn't pour beer from a boot.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 4 August 2014

OK the cleaning staff does not know what they are doing and lack supervision. The front desk is a joke empty more than it is staffed. Air conditioner was not working 80 degrees in the room. No bottom sheet on our bed but we slept on top due to how hot it was in the room. Mattress still had plastic wrapped around it so lots of noise when you moved. Had to ask for a waste basket. No one available in the morning place was dark and not staffed. people just left the keys on the empty desk and left. ?????? Worse place I have ever stayed If I could have found someone I would have asked for my money back. There was 4 or 5 couples staying there with us and they all had similar problems with there rooms. 1 room maybe overlooked but 5 rooms unacceptable. Never stay there again if it was the last place on earth to book a room. Can not rate it would be a minus something.

Room Tip: read trip advisor to get the scoop on landmark hotels.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2014

we stayed at the roxy hotel for a 3 day weekend. Not only is it a gorgeous hotel but it also has one of the best pubs I had ever seen. My wife and I had a wonderful weekend. the rooms were very clean and extremely affordable. The staff was courteous and extremely attentive. For dinner are 1st night my wife ordered the boston baked haddock which was amazing. I had chicken parm and irish egg rolls which were to die for. We both ordered mojito's from the bar, that were made to perfection. The service was fantastic. We took the time to talk to the experienced bar tender, who explained about the amazing remodeling of the place 4 years ago. This was by far the best little vacation my wife and I have ever had. I applaud the new owner on his transformation and his choice on his amazing staff. I am also so glad I ignored the bad reviews about the place, those people are obviously insane.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were attending a family reunion and booked our hotel 6 months ago. Apparently they changed owners and they couldn't find our reservation. The previous owner actually gave us our room number when we booked. We were told they were full and the they didn't know what to do with us and didn't particularly care. Finally after about 1 hour they said something was available. We went to the room and it was filthy, an overflowing trash can and dirty sheets and blankets thrown on the floor. We then discovered that the room didn't have a bathroom. We had to use the bathroom out in the hallway. Unfortunately we didn't have a choice and had to stay. We sleep with our clothes on and couldn't wait to leave very early the next morning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 30 July 2014

When we arrived, no one was at the front desk to check us in. As a matter of fact, we NEVER saw anyone at the front desk during our entire visit. I had to go to bar and ask the bartender who sent a young man to check us in. I had interrupted his smoke break and he was obviously annoyed by that. He was unclean and had stains all over his clothing (I was told by the bartender that he was the "Hotel and Restaurant Manager" so I was taken back by his apprence and lack of hygiene habits.) He couldnt find our reservations, so luckily my husband had printed out our confirmation. He took us up to our room (which was smaller than we anticipated, but nice none-the-less). We asked what time the restaurant closed as it was 8:30 and had read good reviews about the Pub. He said he didnt know what time the bar closes as it varies every night.
Dinner was not great, they were out of a lot of items and the food we did have was salty and obviously what was left in the kitchen. Our waitress however, was very pleasant and attentive.
Our room was nice, but small. Our bed, however, was uncomfortable and extremly squeaky. If we even thought about moving an inch, the bed squeaked loud enough that Im sure the people in the rooms around us could hear it. (Did I mention we were celebrating our anniversary?) Oddly, there was no top sheet; only a fitted sheet and a thin comforter made of a scratchy material. I have never been to a hotel before that didnt have sheets!
Saturday, we returned to the hotel around 2am and were concerned that we wouldnt be able to get into the hotel because the bar was most likely closed. Not an issue! The door lock was taped so that anyone could enter the hotel and because they use traditional keys and no one at the desk, anyone could come into the hotel, take a key (they were simply placed in a box on the wall) and go into a room. Of course there was no one at the desk when we were ready to check out, so I left our keys on the desk (following the cue from others who had also left them there) and left a note letting them know we had checked out and hoped no one was going to take advantage of the empty desk and room keys.
The town of Cape Vincent is very quaint, but stay away from this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 224 has a SUPER squeaky bed - if you must stay here, try not to stay in this room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple