“Excellent dinner!”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cherry lane
Description: 490 west is an upscale fine dining restaurant serving a new American menu with an Italian flare. Come try our fresh wild fish, all natural meats, organic produce and homemade pastas. 490 West only uses the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. All our fish are wild caught and brought in daily. We are committed to local farmers and will use organic produce whenever possible. Our meats are all natural with no added antibiotics or hormones. Some of our partners we use are Pine Land Beef, PM Beef, Dubreton Pork, Satur Farms and the Fulton Fish market. We are also very conscientious towards food allergies and especially welcome gluten-free Individuals. Please let us know of any allergies and we will accommodate you accordingly.
Floral Park, New York
“Excellent dinner!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

490 West offers a comprehensive menu at reasonable prices and a wonderful staff who delivers food that is delicious from start to finish. My husband and I had no complaints at all.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jill E

Long Island
“Great Food...... slooooooow service”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We had the Living Social Voucher but unlike other reviewers, had no problem using it. We were a little wary after sitting down and getting bread and water in a few minutes but no visit from a actual server for almost 10 minutes. She was very nice and personable but seemed to be the only waitress on our side of the dining area and it was obvious there was good number of people in the middle of their Price Fixe meals keeping her busy. When we did order, it was close to 30 minutes before receiving our entries. I thought the Angus Short Rib was delicious, as did my wife about her Beef Tenderloin. The desserts looked quite good but we skipped ordering any since it looked like other diners were waiting long times for theirs, The loss of a point in rating is for the slow service only.

• Visited January 2014
Long Island, New York
“Delish!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Recently dined here with a group. Lovely, friendly staff and yummy fare. Had the risotto as a appetizer and the duck. Both were quite delish! Dessert was a rich chocolate flourless cake, which while very good, was quite rich. Nice local place.

• Visited November 2013
Rockville Centre, NY
“Maybe We Expected Too Much”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We purchased an online promotion voucher, so we knew that the price fixe was not included (it did appear to be an excellent value and if we were to return, we would definitely take advantage of it) and had no difficulties with the voucher per se, unlike another reviewer. The restaurant had gotten a very good review in the newspaper (Times?) so we were excited about going there. The food was uneven: the jumbo lump crab cakes had too much filler; my wife's free range chicken, while tasty, consisted of a leg and thigh, not a breast which is the norm in virtually any restaurant we have ever gone to; my pork tenderloin was delicious. The service was good, although the waiter could not explain why on our bill we were charged more than the price indicated on the menu for several items (something about old menus being used?), which he was quick to rectify, but left me suspicious. The decor was clean, but certainly not impressive; and we had to wait several minutes at the front desk upon arrival, before anyone noticed we were standing there - it was a week night, and the restaurant wasn't too busy, but I feel the right thing is to be greeted warmly when you arrive so you feel welcome. All in all, it certainly wasn't a bad experience, but since we had to drive almost a half hour to get there, and it's a little out of the way, I don't know if we will return since there are lots of other choices.

• Visited November 2013
Port Washington, New York
“A Promotional Scam designed to get you in the door”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Perhaps out of desperation, 490 West ran a promotional campaign through Living Social that appears to have been designed to get would-be customers in the door, but not actually allow the customer to use the discount. My daughter gave me a $50 discount voucher (she paid $25) for my birthday. We decided to use it on a lovely fall Saturday for an early dinner. I called the restaurant midday and left my request for a same day 5:00pm reservation on the answering system. In my message I specifically mentioned that I had a promotional discount and had some questions. The message said I would get a call back, but there was no call back. Later that afternoon I went online and placed a 2nd reservation via Open Table. Again, I wrote in the comments section that I had a discount voucher. We arrived at the restaurant around 4:45pm and immediately mentioned the discount voucher. The hostess/waitress asked which type of voucher and I said I didn't know but I had the discount code. She ushered us to a table in the empty restaurant. I pulled up the voucher on my iPad and showed her. She said, "I think this will work; I don't know. The owner will be here soon." I got nervous when she said "I think." She urged us to order, but I wanted to insure that the discount would apply before we committed to eat. She informed us that, even if the voucher was good, we could NOT use it for prix fixe meals (even though this was not stated in the terms of the voucher online). Finally the waitress re-emerged and informed us that we could not use the voucher because we had not made a telephone reservation, which was a requirement. I informed her that I had indeed made a phone reservation. For a moment she seemed flustered, but quickly recovered and stated that she had not received the message. "I got nothing," she said and said we could use the voucher another time. (Yeah, right!) At that point it was very obvious that this was a scam. We got up and left the place. I don't know if 490 West will be in business a year from now, but this is no way to run a restaurant. We are part of a large local chat group (our version of Angie's List) and we certainly plan to share this awful experience with our contacts.

• Visited October 2013