“an unexpected treat”

Letchworth State Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Castile
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Letchworth State Park, the "Grand Canyon of the East," is where a 17-mile stretch of the Genesee River roars through the park's scenic gorge with three major waterfalls and cliffs as high as 600 feet, surrounded by lush forests. Recently named Best State Park in the nation, Letchworth's new Humphrey Nature Center is a must-see. Walk the seven-mile Gorge Trail with jaw-dropping views at the overlooks or take the trail to the water's edge. I addition to trails, several hundred campsites and cabins, other amenities and activities include a pool, playground, athletic fields, festivals, cultural events, history and performing arts programs, guided walks, whitewater rafting, and hot-air ballooning.
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We were on our way home from Niagara Falls and a friend suggested we make a slight detour and visit this gem. We are so happy that we did. Next time, we hope to make it ballooning.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed 22 August 2010

We chose this park to get our time in the USA for purchasing. We chose our campsite by what was available, could not see the sites via Mapquest so we were not happy to find our site on a pitch and about as wide as a 2 car driveway. We slept on an angle, not too nice. I am here actually via surfing the web to somewhere find a blog of the better camp sites at Letchworth but I have not found anything as of yet. Otherwise, we loved the park. I agree with a fellow reviewer "In most cases, there is little understory to separate the sites, many of which have their best sections covered by loose stone 'driveways'. I am sure this is nice for RVs, but it sure makes finding a spot to pitch a tent challenging. The sites on the outside of the loops are considerably larger than on the inside... so much so that I would not recommend any of the inner sites but that puts you by the road and playground areas and can be more noisy. Bathrooms were kept very clean (and this is during peak season) although I was a bit baffled by the absence of liquid soap dispensers in both men's and women's bathrooms." I now have an infection that started our last day there and I feel sure it is because there was no soap in the bathroom and I kept forgetting to carry my own around the look to get to the bathroom each time. I felt that the prices at the camp store are reasonable since it's nice to know that there's somewhere close you can go if you've forgotten something like us (a picnic table cover). Every time I got near the table I scrapped nasty wet wood under a nail.

We hiked from the lower falls up to the upper falls and it took us about 2.5 hours roundtrip. I am not in great shape so it could be done faster. I agree with the grand canyon of the east comparison, stunning views 600 ft up! We ate at the upper falls snack shop and had 2 hot dogs which were ok considering we never eat hot dogs, but it was pricey.

Quite time is 10 pm to 7 am. We were in a dog friendly area of the campground and it was ok, most dogs were well behaved. Our site, Look #200, site #225 was not one I would recommend for any type of camping, narrow and pitched.

The water seemed very low but it was still beautiful.

We forgot our bikes but it is a long ride to anywhere of note from the Loop camping.

Best thing over Ontario, no mosquitoes at all!

Overall, we'll go back but book well in advance to get a better site!

4  Thank SoBelle1967
Reviewed 12 August 2010

What a fantastic park! We camped in loop 9 and the sites are really quite nice with clean facilities. We spent all of our time hiking on the wonderfully maintained trails and photographing all of the wonderful scenery. Pictures just cannot do justice. The waterfalls and gorge are simply breathtaking. Lower falls restaurant has a great little ice cream shop to relax at after a long hike. I was sad to come home! Highly recommend.

1  Thank LilItalyWNY
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We recently went camping at Letchworth with our kids and my parents. There are 8 loops for camping, but because we had a dog there are only certain loops available. We were in Loop 2. I thought the loop was nice. Some of the outter campsites backed to the playground open area or the main road. Some of the interior campsites would offer little or no privacy from the other sites. We were on 219 which was a little walk to the bathrooms, but thought it was a nice site all in all!!

There was plenty to do while in the park. Do note that if you are camping it is a good 20 to 35 min ride to the falls and museum. My husband and I did a hike one day along the rim of the gorge - it took us by the waterfalls. Later by the campgrounds there was a nice trail through the woods to take our kids on a hike .

The museum was small but informative (my kids liked the small part of it).

We also did the white water rafting trip that is offered at the Lower Falls area. We had a great time - it was low water so the rapids were small - but it was a great introduction for all of us since it was our first time. Do note that it can be strenuous if you get hung up on the rocks!

So all in all - I would recommend the park. We were all tired and happy when we came home!

3  Thank mmettravel
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I love this park, it's is huge and offers a lot of activities for all ages. The falls are amazing and the pictures I took do not show there size. I have been to Niagara and while they are not close in size the falls at Letchworth are still something to see.

Park offers cabin rentals but from what I saw (we stayed at Evergreen) they look a bit tight, very close together. We went on Memorial Day weekend and the cabins were packed and people all over that place.

We went rafting and got to see the hot air balloons rise from the canyon. Both experiences were amazing.