“I left depressed”

Bailiwick Animal Park
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I could echo what the last 2 reviewers said. As an animal lover, I was looking forward to seeing these animals who had been "rescued or received as orphans and had been bottle-fed". I left feeling very depressed. The animals are in small enclosures - especially the one tiger and the prairie dogs; the place is run down and neglected. There was a camel lying on its side, kicking with its one leg. I watched him for a while, hoping that he would get up, but he never did. I asked one of the workers there if he was ok. "Oh yes", he said, "he just likes to lie down. In fact, some times we have to push him up". That sounded more like a sick and/or depressed animal to me. Honestly, I wish the place would close down and offer their animals to a facility that can take better care of them. And yes, just as the other reviewer said, there were no handwash stations or hand sanitizer. The ladies' bathroom had no soap or paper towels. I know a lot of these small zoos have gone out of business due to poor attendance, and maybe there's good reason for that. I had my camera ready to take pictures, but what I saw was so sad, I had no desire to capture it on film. The only picture I took was of a peacock who was walking around in the grass outside the facility. He looked reasonably healthy....perhaps because he was free to roam.

6  Thank Diane_peaceful

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The asking price was ridiculous for what you were seeing. It was 15 dollars to see poor sad animals that are completely unkept. The place is unsanitary their is no hand sanitizer in the whole place, the bathroom had no hot water and had watered down pump soap. The "cages" were filthy and so were all the animals. Not much of a zoo as it looked like animal abuse to me. Maybe that 15 dollars could go towards more help, clean cages, groomed animals and some hand sanitizer.

10  Thank Marybee8
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My boyfriend and I went here as part of our getaway trip to the Catskills, and we had an awesome time! I have not been on a horse since I was thirteen...needless to say it felt a lot different now! We went back in September, right after labor day, and the weather was actually really nice - if anything a little warmer then expected.

Anyway we went for the hour long horseback ride and it was totally worth it! We had a lovely and entertaining guide, I wish I could remember her name (I do remember she works there when they need the extra hand). We talked the entire time and asked so many questions as we rode, the horses were friendly and behaved perfectly - we had Steele and Smokey. I personally don't know if I could ride for more than an hour (it gets a little uncomfortable sitting on a horse after awhile).

It was such an engaging and enjoyable ride, and when our guide thought we wanted to fallback with each other for more privacy she rode ahead of us to let us talk among the two of us (though we are both so chatty we didn't need the privacy).

We highly recommend coming here if you want to support a local ranch and get a real personal experience from it!

3  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 28 September 2013

something to visit with kids during trip to Catskill. Took about an hour to walk through, but had fun.

3  Thank violab66
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We found this place by chance after stopping at the catskill visitor center. It was a little drive out, but definitely worth it. The animals were adorable and loved the attention they were getting. I was fascinated by Titan the Tiger. The staff was friendly and my son enjoyed his pony ride.

They have camels, birds, deer, a bear, tiger, a chimpanzee, and a lot more animals.

1  Thank memorabletrip