“Second time there, will go back again!”

Bailiwick Animal Park
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The place is a nice small zoo in the woods, practically right down the road from the old Catskill game farm. Second time bringing my kids there and they loved it. I myself enjoyed it a lot! The staff is very friendly and knowledgable. I was suprised to see they have expanded since the last time I was there. A lot more new exhibits. Will definitely check it out again next summer!

2  Thank Cdelaney86

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We visited the zoo, if that's what you can call it last week. It was heartbreaking , all the animals looked like they were starving . The pens were muddy , some animals had no shelter over them . There was a poor camel that could not get up , flies all over its face , flopping back & forth. When I brought it to the attention of one of the workers she called on the radio & a women came to speak to me who said it was normal behavior. I think not ... There was also a little goat my son found by the unattended shack where you purchase food , it was beyond skinny , we gave it water it drank almost 16 ounces ... I gave her a cup of food . She had feces all stuck to her , It made me cry , So when I asked they said she was old & that's why she is so skinny literally she was skin & bones .. My concerns were not taken seriously & she was condescending . My 7 year old said Mom why are they outside with the horses( the also do trail rides) when they should be in here taking care of these animals , they are all going to die ... this is from a 7 year old .. they had a young tiger in a round monkey cage , way to small in my opinion. The tortoise had hardly any water & no food which was also was true for most of the animals , most of the animals water if they had any it was dirty , a lot of animals didn't have any food or hay . the parrots had dirty old broken up bread , the Prairie dogs are in a glass box , no place to dig or borrow with concrete blocks , There was a pony , outside that was losing hair , & 1 inside the zoo was also . Instead of building more tiny enclosures maybe they should focus on taking care of the animals they have . My son was traumatized, he keeps asking about the animals . Some of the animals on their website & facebook page aren't there . What happened to them? It was just a depressing place . My heart breaks for all these animals ... It cost $15 to get in I wish the money went for food or care ... A zoo of Horror .... I have contacted the Humane society , PETA & the SPCA ...

10  Thank lrigi
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I could echo what the last 2 reviewers said. As an animal lover, I was looking forward to seeing these animals who had been "rescued or received as orphans and had been bottle-fed". I left feeling very depressed. The animals are in small enclosures - especially the one tiger and the prairie dogs; the place is run down and neglected. There was a camel lying on its side, kicking with its one leg. I watched him for a while, hoping that he would get up, but he never did. I asked one of the workers there if he was ok. "Oh yes", he said, "he just likes to lie down. In fact, some times we have to push him up". That sounded more like a sick and/or depressed animal to me. Honestly, I wish the place would close down and offer their animals to a facility that can take better care of them. And yes, just as the other reviewer said, there were no handwash stations or hand sanitizer. The ladies' bathroom had no soap or paper towels. I know a lot of these small zoos have gone out of business due to poor attendance, and maybe there's good reason for that. I had my camera ready to take pictures, but what I saw was so sad, I had no desire to capture it on film. The only picture I took was of a peacock who was walking around in the grass outside the facility. He looked reasonably healthy....perhaps because he was free to roam.

6  Thank Diane_peaceful
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The asking price was ridiculous for what you were seeing. It was 15 dollars to see poor sad animals that are completely unkept. The place is unsanitary their is no hand sanitizer in the whole place, the bathroom had no hot water and had watered down pump soap. The "cages" were filthy and so were all the animals. Not much of a zoo as it looked like animal abuse to me. Maybe that 15 dollars could go towards more help, clean cages, groomed animals and some hand sanitizer.

10  Thank Marybee8
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My boyfriend and I went here as part of our getaway trip to the Catskills, and we had an awesome time! I have not been on a horse since I was thirteen...needless to say it felt a lot different now! We went back in September, right after labor day, and the weather was actually really nice - if anything a little warmer then expected.

Anyway we went for the hour long horseback ride and it was totally worth it! We had a lovely and entertaining guide, I wish I could remember her name (I do remember she works there when they need the extra hand). We talked the entire time and asked so many questions as we rode, the horses were friendly and behaved perfectly - we had Steele and Smokey. I personally don't know if I could ride for more than an hour (it gets a little uncomfortable sitting on a horse after awhile).

It was such an engaging and enjoyable ride, and when our guide thought we wanted to fallback with each other for more privacy she rode ahead of us to let us talk among the two of us (though we are both so chatty we didn't need the privacy).

We highly recommend coming here if you want to support a local ranch and get a real personal experience from it!

3  Thank Sarah S