“Comfortable, elegant, good service, great food”
Review of The Brewster Inn

The Brewster Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Cazenovia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We have been coming to the Brewster for a long time, just to eat. We always love the food and the wine and the ambience. This is the first time we've stayed at the hotel. The room is undeniably comfortable but the bathroom kind of like an ordinary hotel in New York City: too small and uninspired in decor. Small shower. Admittedly we opted for the cheapest room; we could have had a better bathroom in a more expensive room but even the cheapest room was not cheap.

Room Tip: If you can pay more you get a much nicer room. We only saw one room so I don't know if they have...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We enjoyed a wonderfully delicious dinner and the most extravagant Sunday brunch buffet ever. While not inexpensive, the food is delicious and elegantly presented. The Chicken Francaise is the best I have ever tasted, but the Veal Atlantis was not as delectable ( lobster too chewy) as anticipated. Sunday brunch offered so many delicious choices that it is recommended to take small "tastes" so you can try everything!
Our room was another story, sadly. We should have chosen a lakeside room, because our room (#5) faced the front parking area and was above the massive front door that SLAMS often through the early evening. It also seems to abut the laundry room, with a constant thump, thump, thump behind the bed wall. It has the tiniest bathroom we have ever seen! I weigh 110 and my husband 175 and the bed sagged in the center and needs a new mattress or something. :(
Beautiful setting, and probably a lovely place to wander in the summertime. We would go back and stay in a different room next time.

Room Tip: Lakeside is much quieter and worth the extra $.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have stayed here times and each time are very pleased. We arrived after 9 and went to the bar for a cocktail. Staff were very welcoming and even provided me a sample of a cocktail to try. I will say that it would have been nice if they mentioned the cost of a scotch my husband had as an FYI. Had he known there is no way he would have gotten it.
Flexible with breakfast offerings if you ask for a little something more than the continental offerings.
Room 5 is small especially the bathroom which is known ahead but the price is reflecting that. Fine for one night, but might upgrade to one of the others next time
Price is very reasonable. we will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I really enjoyed the Brewster Inn. I took a weekend road trip with my dad and we decided to stay at the Brewster. It's very convenient to downtown Cazenovia. It's located right on Lake Cazenovia and the views are wonderful. The staff proved to be very helpful and accommodating. Our room was in the Carriage House. The carpeting/furniture in our room could have used a sprucing up, but it was very charming and cozy nonetheless. Dad and I enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio overlooking the lake. Dinner at the restaurant was wonderful. A nice continental breakfast was provided each day. I would definitely return the next time I visit the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This is a beautiful old inn located on a large piece of property right on the lake.We selected room #2 based on a description on their website (which has since changed). The bedroom is quite large and connects to a sitting room by walking through the bathroom (strange at best). There was a fireplace but there were no apparent means of starting it. The room was described as having a balcony. The balcony turned out of to be simply the roof of the restaurant one floor down. There was no chairs on which to sit on the balcony. If I were to visit again I would choose room 7 which has a deck with outdoor furniture. Our room was VERY quiet but perhaps because we needed neither heat nor a/c. Be aware that room #2 has a large a/c unit right outside the bedroom which appears to serve the restaurant below. In room a/c was an in-window a/c unit which typically are noisy.

The continental breakfast was minimal at best. Bagels, english muffins, a couple of non-descript muffins, some fruit and some cold cuts. None of it appealed to us but perhaps to others.

We'd stay again. Would get room 7 instead and would get breakfast elsewhere. Very helpful and pleasant staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JIMCHI
Reviewed 1 September 2013

On a recent drive through central New York State, I passed the Brewster Inn and took a quick peak from my car window. Wow! My wife is going to like this place. The town of Cazenovia was charming and the countryside was rolling farmland.
We booked the room and our first night was in the Carriage House. We intended to stay only one night but were so taken with the place we asked for another night. Yes, but we had to move into the main building. No problem. The rooms were well appointed, spacious and clean. We had a great view of Cazenovia Lake. The lawn is a great place for reading or dreaming.
The restaurant is excellent. When the weather allows, you have the option to dine outdoors. We found The Brewster Inn well worth the visit. Great staff and reasonable rates. Along with the view, what more could one want?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick E
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in August for vacation.

The primary reason to stay here is the restaurant that is top notch and may well have one of the best wine lists in the world that is also reasonably priced. So, dine here and don't drive. More on the restaurant in my restaurant review.

We stayed in Room 4 on the second floor of the Inn. Little seems to have changed since when the place was built, for better and worse. The room is large with big windows that look out onto Lake Cazenovia and has lots of 1900's charm, largely because the room has changed little since then. The bathroom is original and large. Updated is a fancy shower and fixtures in the bath, a few power outlets, electric heat and an air conditioner. I think there is wi-fi. The room, however, is poorly lit and lacks enough seating to take advantage of the size and no lamps near the seating make it hard to read. One quarter of the room is swallowed up by a jacuzzi which we didn't use. The paint is peeling in parts, but in a way that adds patina and doesn't simply look worn. Lots of orignal built in storage in the closet and bathroom. The bed is not comfortable. Overall, the room needs a paint job, more power outlets, lighting, seating and a better bed and that is reflected in my rating. We didn't ask, but we didn't see anyone to carry our bags up the stairs.

I don't think there is any room service, but when we were in the Tavern, we had a botle of wine sent up to the room. Breakfast is serve your self continental style and is several cuts above the Hampton Inn sort.

Room Tip: Book far in advance so you have a choice of rooms. Look at the web site that describes the rooms an...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Charles G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cazenovia
Hampton Inn & Suites Cazenovia
#1 of 6 in Cazenovia
Lincklaen House
Lincklaen House
#3 of 6 in Cazenovia

Been to The Brewster Inn? Share your experiences!