“Great, rooms great, hotel great best vacation ever!”

Crabtree's Kittle House
Ranked #1 of 1 Chappaqua B&B and Inns
“Great, rooms great, hotel great best vacation ever!”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed for 3 nights. The restaurant was great. I ordered escargot and it was so fresh it was crawling off my plate! Literally. The rooms were very nice. I was here on business and it felt like vacation!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bedford, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The Kittle House enjoys a longstanding area reputation as a top-tier eatery but honestly one can do better and save quite a few bucks. Recent visit was our last - we did the tap room and each time we've been we were basically ignored by staff and the bartender couldn't have cared less. I suppose it's who you know.

The burger was very good, a Reuben sandwich quite tasty. The lobster roll, however, was over prepared in an attempt to hide the not-clean and fresh taste lobster should have, and they served a burnt brussels sprouts side that was just awful. The bar was out of several offerings, and the service was seriously snooty. The place is lovely, but sorry to say there are much better spots in this foodie area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank quietvice
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I have never written a review like this. The lack of response from innkeepers, reservation staff and a person that was reported to be "an owner" was so frustrating that we cancelled our reservation.

Several weeks ago, I was planning an escape for my wife and me. We are visiting the Hudson Valley and were to conclude a four day trip by staying in the highly rated Kittle House. Realizing that there are several very different types of accommodations, we simply wanted to know what type of room we could expect. Long story short. Several ignored emails, two un-returned phone calls and two direct conversations with reservations personnel and we still had no idea what we were in for.

The absence of service It is truly unexplainable. With no back up plan for accommodations that night (one week from now), we felt that the best plan was to punt and try to find another place where concern for the customer is a priority.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zha-MD
New York
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I recently dined with friends at The Kittle House during restaurant week. I had been meaning to try the restaurant for quite some time, so was looking forward to it. The venue is beautiful and the effect of driving up to the house and being greeted by valet service is lovely. That being said, the overall atmosphere of the place could also been seen as a little stuffy, too many people hanging about looking formal and an older type of clientel. I suppose it depends what you like.
Service was fairly slow from the start, but we needed time to work out what we wanted to eat as the restaurant week menu was odd to say the least. We all settled on cod for our main course, which I thought was a strange choice of fish in such a nice restaurant, but was willing to give it a try given the other odd food choices. I assume they were trying to keep down costs? Our starters were small and strange rather then inventive which I assume was what they were trying for. My soup, sorry, veloute was presented in rather a fussy manner and although tasty there was very little of it. One friend had a peculiar potatoe dish which she said was tasty but looked like a small bowl of cold soggy potatoes to me, another had a tiny dull looking salad served in a huge bowl. The main course, the cod, was very bland, no seasoning and to be honest I've had better cod battered as fish and chips. It was ok once I added salt and pepper, but not great and I certainly would not have been happy with any of the items at the usual menu price. The dessert was laughable really, a tough little triangle of pie, rather overcooked and barely a bite. I was left feeling rather confused about why, other then the setting, this place is so well thought of. Overall I would describe my experience here as average,we had a nice evening, the place was nice, the drinks were good. I can only imagine that the pleasant surroundings and wealthy atmopshere of this place leads diners into believing they are eating better food then they really are. Maybe at the prices they are being charged they have to believe that. On the way out I glanced in the bar which looked to be less formal, I might try dining in there on another occassion but would not rush back to The Kittle House.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank likestotravel30
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

My wife and I wanted to find a nice country inn for a winter getaway. We came on a Friday evening during a blizzard and settled in for an excellent dinner in the Tap Room. The atmosphere was sophisticated, holding together the colonial charm and adding plenty of modern touches (butcher block tables, glass pendants and a new copper ceiling). The fireplace was roaring and piano was getting some attention, making the storm feel even more fitting.

The room we had was absolutely massive and well decorated to hold all of the house's original charm. If you want tons of amenities you're in the wrong place. If you want tall windows on two side pouring light in, hardwood floors, a four post bed and an excellently trimmed room, this is the place to find it with a price that is stunning. The heat was a bit high all night (actually quite sauna-like) but the staff was apologetic. That is also the only negative thing about the entire trip.

Complimentary breakfast is served to order at the table. One other review here said it was limited, but compared to the stock spread you find at some many bed and breakfasts this was a real treat. We both had granola with organic yogurt and fresh berries which is served as if you're paying for it in their main dining room.

Our car was cleared for us in the morning and the area around was really beautiful.

That night we ate in the main dining room. It's clear that they are cooking to a crowd who is used to higher end food. We had the three course dinner, which was excellent and was served with an amuse bouche and petit four capping either end. This was unexpected and a very nice touch. The best part was that the meal was a staggeringly low $38 per person.

There are plenty of reasons to come here and we haven't even had brunch yet! We absolutely will come back and recommend it to all!

• Stayed February 2013
Mount Kisco, New York, United States
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My latest experience with the Kittle House was out of the ordinary. Over and above the excellent cuisine and service to match, I came to learn that honesty is a high priority as well. I live in the area, and for some reason have not visited this establishment for years. I had no idea what I was missing.

Room Tip: Lovely location and just about equidistant to Mount Kisco and Chappaqua. I am a local, so have not...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2013

My wife and I joined friends at the Kittle House recently for dinner. It was our first time at this storied Westchester institution, and we were looking forward to a special evening out. The food did not disappoint: appetizers ranging from Gnudi (sweet 100 cherry tomatoes with a nicoise crumble and amazing goat cheese) to beet salad (wonderfully tasty) were all uniformly excellent. The main courses were also superb - the venison was perfectly cooked and incredibly flavorful, while the strip steak was massive and succulent, accompanied by the best french fries I've ever had and a not-too-creamy creamed spinach. Finally, desserts were over-the-top - you have to try the "chocolate gift" of valrhona chocolate in a filo-dough package - wow! Accompanying all was a fine bottle of Seghesio Barolo, 1997 - perfect for the steak and venison.

Unfortunately, the service didn't measure up to the fabulous food. Wait staff were polite and friendly, but inattentive at best. My wife ordered a seltzer with cranberry and lime that was flat the first time, and flat the 2nd and 3rd times they tried, too (finally someone came by and asked if she would prefer a small bottle of Pellegrino). We must have waited 15 minutes before menus were brought out, I waited more than 10 minutes for a martini, and, to top it off, when the bill was finally presented (after waving for a waiter and waiting another 10 minutes), they charged us twice for the wine! They were happy to remove the erroneous charge, of course, but it was the irony of an error on the bill that seemed to cap off the imperfect service with the right touch. I'd like to try the restaurant again, so I'm hoping someone there makes some improvements in the service to bring it up to par with the terrific food.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tony C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chappaqua
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Armonk Westchester Cnty Apt
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Crabtree's Kittle House? Share your experiences!